Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Convertible top issue (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/907472-convertible-top-issue.html)

Lahainabry 12-06-2015 09:42 PM

Convertible top issue Update

Hi Guys, Today after the Toys for Tots meeting, I had an issue.
I came home and started to put the top up. I heard a "pop" and only one side lifted a few inches. I managed to put it back down and it looks like the fit is correct. Car is a 07 997 Cab.
Has anyone else had this happen? I will take it in this week, more curious than anything.

Thanks in advance for the replies,

Bryan

Lahainabry 12-10-2015 11:24 AM

I really have not found out much. The dealer is backed up until Tuesday. I take it in Monday night.
We will post up the repair once completed.

Thanks

B

Edgy01 12-10-2015 11:10 PM

Just a theory--perhaps a cable end popped out of its place. Usually these things are bomb proof but occasionally something like that can happen. If you can look around (at various stages of unfolding) within the top mechanism, look specifically for anything differences from the right to the left side.

Good luck, and let us know what you learn.

For my cab top, my biggest issue was the loosening up of the screws along the roof line at the top of where the front side windows meet the top. They need something like loc-tite to keep them in place. The fasteners are Torx.

Lahainabry 12-11-2015 03:00 PM

I looked at a diagram. I do not see cables etc. Maybe the wrong diagram.
I can't open the top because it only lifts up on one side. (I don't want to repeat for fear of damage).
I will post up the necessary repairs once done. We can all learn from it I hope.

B

997v2cabrio 12-12-2015 01:57 AM

Please keep us informed.

Lahainabry 12-12-2015 05:02 PM

Will do.

Lahainabry 12-19-2015 03:05 PM

Took the car to Newport Porsche, excellent service and quality work.
Rick West was my service advisor, He stayed in contact as a part needed to be ordered. Great communication, excellent clean work. Done in the timeframe he quoted..
Apparently it needed a control module ( this electrical unit controls the roof functions.) I suppose I should have known I had an issue. Looking back, the pass window would switch directions when the roof was being raised. I thought I was lifting my finger off the switch.
The work was performed as promised and was under the original estimate. I am very happy with the result and back on the road.

I want to thank Rick for his effort. I believe he went above and beyond.

Thanks

B

997v2cabrio 12-20-2015 12:23 AM

How much did it cost you?

dethman 12-20-2015 01:33 AM

i had this happen to my 997.2 cab. one side would go up and the other wouldn't. i think it was a control module issue and cost a pretty penny.

Lahainabry 12-20-2015 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 997v2cabrio (Post 12858465)
How much did it cost you?

Approximately $1800.00. However, a few small items were done too.