Sponsored by:

FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
i'm getting this info from the PDK gearbox fluids change that i did few weeks ago. at the official dealer of course.
not theory - actual results.
Want to say this as nicely as possible but you have been misinformed. The gearbox section (7 forward + reverse and the diff) are in one section of the PDK transmission. This section is lubricated / cooled by the same gear lube (Mobil Delvac 75/90) as in Porsche MT boxes. The two wet clutches and the hydraulic automatic shift rods are in a separate section, lubricated / cooled by the PCNA recommended Petosin fluid. This is true for 997.2 & 987.2 PDKs.

I have had Guard Transmission Limited Slip Diffs installed in both a '09 C2S and my current '12 GTS (both PDK). The S had the factory LSD option and the GTS did not. In both cases, I watched the tech replace the factory diff with the Guard units. The process did not affect the section housing the two wet clutches and the hydraulic automatic shift rods in any way.

I track my cars regularly and have a cooler installed in front of my center radiator to cool the gearbox / diff section with a pump controlled by a cockpit on/off switch for use on track. Unfortunately, PDK failures are typically caused by overheating of the section housing the two wet clutches and the hydraulic automatic shift rods. I had to pay for a PCNA re-manufactured PDK when the one in my '09 failed with 76K miles and out of warranty. Not on track ironically, but after sitting for 20 minutes in a Burger King drive through line in Sebring the night before an event. There is a lesson here I'm sure.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to say that your sarcastic tone is noted. And not appreciated.

My car is 2010 Boxster S.
The dealer is the Porsche dealer. The only one in the country.
I was near the car all the time.
I honestly think that I would be surprised if Porsche makes 2 different PDKs for the 911 and Boxster. And I clearly stated this in those exact words. No need to ask me if I think otherwise.

~6.5 L of the PDK fluid went into the gearbox. The rear part of it.

This is the oil:

0.8 L of this oil went in the final drive:

I assume you know this is where the diff is located.

So tell me know where do you think the clutches and gears are located in my gearbox?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:18 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't know if this helps, and I don't want to step into anything here, but this picture is much more clear. The clutch pack on the PDK is on the left end of the unit in the picture.

And on getting 6.5 litres into the clutch section, you should note the factory fill into a dry unit is 5.2 litres. When a dealer charges you for 6.5 litres, that is likely because fluid is spilled out of the fill-hole during the filling process. The instructions clearly say to fill until fluid pours out - that is the only way to know it is full. This is why the instructions also say the area below the fill hole has to be protected by tape to prevent the fluid that spills out from attacking other seals in that area.

If you saw where the fill-hole is up on the side of the unit and in behind a couple of hoses, you would know trying to fill from that location would result in spillage. And some techs are going to spill more than others...

That will be $0.02
Attached Images  

Last edited by vetfever; 03-29-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:38 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I think I have the answer, and since I have a short attention span I did not read all of the posts, but...

You both are right.

My wifes Macan - with a PDK - the recommended maint at 40K is a PDK transmission fluid change. PDK clutch not recommended until 12 yr or 120K.

My 997 with PDK has clutch change at 6yr/60K and transmission fluid at 120K/12yr

So my guess is they changed the PDK tansmission fluid on the boxster - must have a different maint schedule?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:38 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I think I have the answer, and since I have a short attention span I did not read all of the posts, but...

You both are right.

My wifes Macan - with a PDK - the recommended maint at 40K is a PDK transmission fluid change. PDK clutch not recommended until 12 yr or 120K.

My 997 with PDK has clutch change at 6yr/60K and transmission fluid at 120K/12yr

So my guess is they changed the PDK tansmission fluid on the boxster - must have a different maint schedule?
Your terminology is a little all over the map. Think of it this way:

The "transmission" is the entire PDK unit
The unit is comprised of 2 separate items:
  1. A clutch pack which needs "clutch fluid" every 6 years
  2. A gear box which requires "gear oil" (same as a manual gear box) every 12 years

So, you can't say "transmission" fluid without specifying which part of the PDK transmission you are referring to, either the clutch pack or gear box.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:33 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
Your terminology is a little all over the map. Think of it this way:
So, you can't say "transmission" fluid without specifying which part of the PDK transmission you are referring to, either the clutch pack or gear box.
Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Otherwise you don't know what you are talking about. Do yourself a favour and search the internet for an hour and bring yourself up to speed.

And to the guy who has the 2010 Boxster S (Croc ). I looked and your manual says 5.2 litres for the transmission clutch fluid( dry filled capacity), which is pentosin. So I'd like to know where they put 6.5 L of fluid. When you come on and say misinformative remarks you better be able to back them up!!!! I was near the car is totally an Ignorant remark!!!!!!! I Was under the car looking at the PDK while it was being done. A boxster just has the PDK on the back of the engine rather than the front.
When I go to the porsche dealership the S.A. lets me speak directly to the Senior tech as he knows I prob can understand it better than him for my vehicle. the S.A. actually likes talking to me as I try to put it into terms that the lay person can understand.
Done my rant , but i like the passion and knowledge guys have on here and I like it when I am wrong and someone can correct me.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

i'm getting this info from the PDK gearbox fluids change that i did few weeks ago. at the official dealer of course.
not theory - actual results.
You my friend got scammed......lets see your bill.......and now you are trying to justify it
Old 03-30-2017, 01:45 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

This diagram is not correct for Boxster.
As said earlier - perhaps for 911 the PDK is different. I would be surprised but diagram suggests so.

For the Boxster the PDK fluid goes into the chamber colored blue - so the only possible conclusion that PDK clutches are located in that chamber.
For the red colored chamber they've put in my care a regular transmission oil, and only 800cc or so of it. No way that PDK clutches are there.
You my friend have no concept of how things work. You need to be corrected in your way of thinking so you don't disseminate false information. Yes I may be being mean, not sarcastic but you have left me no choice with these posts you continue to make. They make no sense so please do not make anymore until you really know what you are talking about. I am trying to be nice.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:56 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Originally Posted by docdrs
Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Otherwise you don't know what you are talking about. Do yourself a favour and search the internet for an hour and bring yourself up to speed.
And the award for the angriest man on the internet goes to...docdrs!!

OK let me clarify again what I meant.

And I have done a ton of research. And I have the repair manual (which makes things more and less confusing becsause they refer to everything as ATF)

From the manual there are actually 3 places to change fluid in the transmission

1 - the transmission fluid
2 - the clutch
3 - the final drive

My point was that in his boxster they changed the transmission fluid - not the clutch fluid - and the final drive fluid. That is the reason for theover 5L of fluid and the less than one litre.

My second point is that the service recommendations for PDK transmissions are different for all the PDK's
For the 997.2 Porsche recommends PDK clutch fluid at 6 yr/60K
For the 997.2 Porsche recommends PDK transmission fluid at 12yr/120K
There is no mention of ever changing the final drive fluid

*This is for just the PDK - we are not going to get into the front final drive differential or clutches that are only on the 4's and Turbos

For the Macan Porsche recommends PDK transmission fluid and filter every 40K miles/4yrs
For the Macan Porsche recommends final drive oil at 160K miles/16 years
There is no mention of changing the PDK clutch fluid

*Again - not getting into the AWD stuff

**information comes from the 997.2 repair manual and from the Porsche recommended maintenacne schedules

OK - lets hear it, where did I go wrong?
Old 03-30-2017, 03:36 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

and after more research it gets more complicated - depending upon the country. I found a link for the 997.2 in certain countries (middle east) - Porsche recommends clutch fluid AND transmission fluid at 6 yr/90K kilometers, and they mention the final drive at 180K kilometers/12 years. So it may depend on what country Croc is in whether they did the correct service.

file:///C:/Users/number%207/Downloads/%7BGeben%20Sie%20hier%20den%20Titel%20der%20Datei%20ein%7D.pdf

And just starting research on this - but there is more than one PDK. But I think the Boxster and 911 have the same PDK.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with dgjks6 that Croc's location may have something to do with the info he is receiving. He stated there is only one dealer in his country, so who knows what he is dealing with. Here in US and Canada, the service seems pretty clear for the 911 on 5.2L for a dry fill, and therefore something less than that amount that would go into a "wet" unit in the field. And again if they spill a whole litre, you're paying for it....
Old 03-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Croc999
Racer

Originally Posted by docdrs
You my friend have no concept of how things work. You need to be corrected in your way of thinking so you don't disseminate false information. Yes I may be being mean, not sarcastic but you have left me no choice with these posts you continue to make. They make no sense so please do not make anymore until you really know what you are talking about. I am trying to be nice.
you know endless posts that you're the smartest and i'm the dumbest doesn't prove that you're actually the smartest and i'm actually have no clue.
all your previous assumptions and claims proved to be wrong - I know mechanics, I was at the official dealer, I stood by the car, i've checked all the stuff with the tech manager and their mechanic who's done PDK fluid in the past, I've looked with them at eh Porsche online tech instructions.
I don't let them touch my car before i'm sure they know what they're doing.

so talk to the subject and explain things that doesn't add up.
we're here to share and learn. me too.

what is your explanation to the fact the dealer have put 6.5 L of PDK fluid in the rear part of the gearbox and the diagrams show clutches pack in the other part of the gearbox? (between the engine and the gearbox).

is/are there known oil pump/s ?

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Want to say this as nicely as possible but you have been misinformed.
The gearbox section (7 forward + reverse and the diff) are in one section of the PDK transmission. This section is lubricated / cooled by the same gear lube (Mobil Delvac 75/90) as in Porsche MT boxes.
The two wet clutches and the hydraulic automatic shift rods are in a separate section, lubricated / cooled by the PCNA recommended Petosin fluid.
This is true for 997.2 & 987.2 PDKs.
anyway my experience suggest that this is not correct.
no substantial quantity of other than PDK fluid was used in any part. just 800cc of different oil for the final drive.
the only possible conclusion that I see that gears are lubricated by the PDK fluid.
you think otherwise?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Croc999
Racer

Docdrs pointed out that pictures of the oil i've posted don't show up.
so i'm trying again.

This is PDK fluid:

it's a 20L jar and they charged me 0.3 of it - probably overcharged, but i squeezed out discount for other stuff so the total bill was OK.

This is the final drive oil they've used:

Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Croc - where do you live? Obviously not the North America or Europe? Honestly I think some of the misunderstandings in your exchange with others here is that the specs in your part of the world are different. Simple as that. We all have seen Porsche has different specs in different world zones.

I am kind of curious to find out.

Docdrs pointed out that pictures of the oil i've posted don't show up.
so i'm trying again.

This is PDK fluid:

it's a 20L jar and they charged me 0.3 of it - probably overcharged, but i squeezed out discount for other stuff so the total bill was OK.

This is the final drive oil they've used:

Old 04-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Croc999
Racer

I live in Israel.
Specs might be different but the PDK unit itself most probably is the same.
So are the fluids used - i mean viscosity may change a bit - but i can't imagine using PDK fluid instead of 75w90 transmission oil.

Quick Reply: FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change