Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Old 02-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Thats a really nice car and well spec'd. Full leather is hard to find and full leather sport seats. Also has leather door entry guards. But that car does have 3 accidents and I will admit I am a bit superstitious. Technically 2 accidents but then a report of damage on it so 3 incidents. I think I would stay away but for the right price you could probably have a very nice car.
Originally Posted by Doug H
I love that car. If repaired properly and check out, why not. . . . . okay, now seeing 3 accidents. WTH. Love the red stitching, but 3 accidents. If you buy, you own and will never sell it easily unless super cheap. Buy, drive the wheels off of it and keep it if perfect now after the repairs.

The 2-3 accident thing seems weird... Look at the carfax.... it describes the SAME type of damage on both dates... Almost like it was wrecked and then not repaired right a way.. Then it's reported twice due to time frame.

I wonder how I can find out more specifics. For the right price, this could be a very nice Buy... Like said, it might be hard to sell in the future (esp. here since folks seem to hate accident cars).

I know me though. I'll want to do something different someday... A turbo is really what I want but I'm starting to back off on how much I really want to spend (total) due to other things going on.

If this car could be bought for $55K, think that'd be a decent buy?? (Here in GA we have to pay the sales tax when we buy our tag, so I'm sure that'll be another few grand.)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:33 PM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Re: The red GTS: This car was for sale at Porsche Chattanooga last month....They are either flipping it or the dealer sold it to them. Last month it only listed the one accident. Was a small parking lot incident. I looked into it, was going to sell for right around 50K......

Last edited by guardsred997; 02-10-2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: to clarify
Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guardsred997
Re: The red GTS: This car was for sale at Porsche Chattanooga last month....They are either flipping it or the dealer sold it to them. Last month it only listed the one accident. Was a small parking lot incident. I looked into it, was going to sell for right around 50K......

I don't think it's the same car then. How could carfax just now list damage / accidents that happened last year or in 2016?
Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Red 2012 GTS for a smokin price but it has an accident on the CarFax...

2 miles up the road from me. I'm pretty sure it's the same car that was at another local dealer here had for sale for a long time.

$58,900.00 !!

Thoughts??

https://www.selectluxury.com/VDP-201...gts-c-2450.htm
Great looking car at an affordable price. If you have the time/ability to go look at it, it’s definitely worth checking it out. Is there good documentation re the repairs? Who and how was the work done? A good PPI and a lot of information needed to know if it’s worth buying, but that price will result in a sale.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_

Great looking car at an affordable price. If you have the time/ability to go look at it, it’s definitely worth checking it out. Is there good documentation re the repairs? Who and how was the work done? A good PPI and a lot of information needed to know if it’s worth buying, but that price will result in a sale.

I should have gone today but weather is bad here today / tmrw. (They're closed tmrw). I may have time Monday night though. Worst case, it'll be Wednesday.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:20 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I should have gone today but weather is bad here today / tmrw. (They're closed tmrw). I may have time Monday night though. Worst case, it'll be Wednesday.
Keep us posted! I’d love to hear how it checks out.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:45 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,710 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Red 2012 GTS for a smokin price but it has an accident on the CarFax...
$58,900.00 !!
Thoughts??
If repaired properly and check out, why not. . . . .
The 2-3 accident thing seems weird... Look at the carfax.... it describes the SAME type of damage on both dates... Almost like it was wrecked and then not repaired right a way.. Then it's reported twice due to time frame.
I wonder how I can find out more specifics. For the right price, this could be a very nice Buy...
Thoughts? I think it's probably priced cheap for a reason. Sounds like a non-trivial accident, and even if the three accidents reported in succession are just echo's of a single event (most likely), the real problem is that there is probably little or no documentation showing how badly the car was damaged and how well it was repaired.

Is there a ton of body filler under that shiny red paint? Is the suspension 100% what a GTS suspension should be?

I feel pretty competent in determining the baseline mechanical condition of a car, but other than hitting it with a paint meter, I don't have the eye or experience to tell whether it was minor damage with superb repairs or major damage with so-so repairs.

Whatever you think an un-damaged GTS of that build is worth, I'd say you have to deduct a minimum of 20% for this one, and that's being generous.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Thoughts? I think it's probably priced cheap for a reason. Sounds like a non-trivial accident, and even if the three accidents reported in succession are just echo's of a single event (most likely), the real problem is that there is probably little or no documentation showing how badly the car was damaged and how well it was repaired.

Is there a ton of body filler under that shiny red paint? Is the suspension 100% what a GTS suspension should be?

I feel pretty competent in determining the baseline mechanical condition of a car, but other than hitting it with a paint meter, I don't have the eye or experience to tell whether it was minor damage with superb repairs or major damage with so-so repairs.

Whatever you think an un-damaged GTS of that build is worth, I'd say you have to deduct a minimum of 20% for this one, and that's being generous.

I would definitely hit them with a "low ball" if I were to consider buying.

Worrying about resale would be my fear, no matter how well it's bought.

BUT, I do like the car...Even if it's not Silver..lol
Old 02-11-2018, 01:21 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

All of the red painted interior parts are aftermarket too. Makes you wonder what else was done after the factory and accident(s). near 50k miles and three accidents. Even though it's a 6MT GTS with a pretty great spec and color, with it's miles and history it should be low to mid $50s. I wouldn't even consider it without VERY very thorough PPI and a mid $50s asking.

Great buy and hold though if it checks out. It'll bite you if you're just looking for a summer fling though.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 AM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think it's the same car then. How could carfax just now list damage / accidents that happened last year or in 2016?
It’s definitely the same car. Carfax is known to make errors and when I was looking at this car, there was only one accident listed. The painted interior parts were done by the factory by Porsche Exclusive. This is a really nice car and the steering wheel options alone were something like 10k when new. I’m really surprised it is for sale at another dealer. I would have purchased this car but it wasn’t the right time for me.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:47 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 193 Posts

No power package and red carpets. No thank you. Have to have black deviating carpet with red. $80k is ridiculous for that car. Interior is over top almost comedic.
I LOVE it but the bluntness on this form is great!
Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

It’s definitely the same car. Carfax is known to make errors and when I was looking at this car, there was only one accident listed. The painted interior parts were done by the factory by Porsche Exclusive. This is a really nice car and the steering wheel options alone were something like 10k when new. I’m really surprised it is for sale at another dealer. I would have purchased this car but it wasn’t the right time for me.
Not sure about changing Car Fax mid stream. At this very time, I am close to engaging in litigation over a bogus reporting that is presently holding a $2.0 mm sale of my friend's car. Apparently, a vindictive neighbor in 2013 filed a police report alleging my buddy backed into her bicycle that she parked behind this car. The bicycle was knocked over, the car was gone, no one saw it happen and she filed a police report know one knew about. Car Fax is clean, contract entered for sale and the AutoCheck was pulled and reported "rear impact" with an invalid report number. After massive research, we find an old police report alleging the $2.0 mm car back into and knocked over a bicycle and left the scene. No damage to bicycle or car, but Autocheck reporting "rear impact" is holding up sale. Purchaser won't pay top dollar for car with blemish on the AutoCheck.

Anyway, not relevant but an interesting story. That said, I know how the process works very well and no way the Car Fax was changed midstream or several years later unless to remove something erroneously reported.

My take on car fax is there was some super minor cosmetic damage, police report taken and no insurance claim or work down at that time He waits a few months later, goes to insurance to get it repaired so we have the dual reporting. Problem here is the front impact in between. That appears to be unrelated and may have prompted him to get the minor work done related to the "sideswipe" earlier reported. Perhaps, someone else could think of a third reporting mechanism that could trigger for same incident. If not, I am inclined to believe there were 2 separate incidents . . ., not 3 or 1. I would be more concerned about the front end damage as the sideswipe is most likely purely cosmetic.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Here is an ad place by the owner on the red GTS. Appears he was a doctor from Cleveland, Tennessee and a Porsche Club member. Someone knows this car. He also had repairs performed at a Porsche dealership according to add. Call the dealership. They will perhaps speak to you.

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche/12642/

Porsche Chattanooga had it and listing it as sold. I would be concerned if they decided to whole sale and why. Could need something costly or a bad repair assuming it was in fact sold wholesale? That would be first call to make to their service department and then their sales manager.

https://porscheofchattanooga.com/inv...12+RED+1658979
Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS

All of the red painted interior parts are aftermarket too. Makes you wonder what else was done after the factory and accident(s). near 50k miles and three accidents. Even though it's a 6MT GTS with a pretty great spec and color, with it's miles and history it should be low to mid $50s. I wouldn't even consider it without VERY very thorough PPI and a mid $50s asking.

Great buy and hold though if it checks out. It'll bite you if you're just looking for a summer fling though.

Not sure about changing Car Fax mid stream. At this very time, I am close to engaging in litigation over a bogus reporting that is presently holding a $2.0 mm sale of my friend's car. Apparently, a vindictive neighbor in 2013 filed a police report alleging my buddy backed into her bicycle that she parked behind this car. The bicycle was knocked over, the car was gone, no one saw it happen and she filed a police report know one knew about. Car Fax is clean, contract entered for sale and the AutoCheck was pulled and reported "rear impact" with an invalid report number. After massive research, we find an old police report alleging the $2.0 mm car back into and knocked over a bicycle and left the scene. No damage to bicycle or car, but Autocheck reporting "rear impact" is holding up sale. Purchaser won't pay top dollar for car with blemish on the AutoCheck.

Anyway, not relevant but an interesting story. That said, I know how the process works very well and no way the Car Fax was changed midstream or several years later unless to remove something erroneously reported.

My take on car fax is there was some super minor cosmetic damage, police report taken and no insurance claim or work down at that time He waits a few months later, goes to insurance to get it repaired so we have the dual reporting. Problem here is the front impact in between. That appears to be unrelated and may have prompted him to get the minor work done related to the "sideswipe" earlier reported. Perhaps, someone else could think of a third reporting mechanism that could trigger for same incident. If not, I am inclined to believe there were 2 separate incidents . . ., not 3 or 1. I would be more concerned about the front end damage as the sideswipe is most likely purely cosmetic.
Here is an ad place by the owner on the red GTS. Appears he was a doctor from Cleveland, Tennessee and a Porsche Club member. Someone knows this car. He also had repairs performed at a Porsche dealership according to add. Call the dealership. They will perhaps speak to you.

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche/12642/

Porsche Chattanooga had it and listing it as sold. I would be concerned if they decided to whole sale and why. Could need something costly or a bad repair assuming it was in fact sold wholesale? That would be first call to make to their service department and then their sales manager.

https://porscheofchattanooga.com/inv...12+RED+1658979

Great investigative skills guys!! THANK YOU!!

Now if a Porsche dealer repaired it, yet wholesaled the car, I'm not sure what to think.

Sure is a nice car and if it could be bought close to $50k, it still might make a decent car.

Hmmm.... Thinking....
Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

This is also printed in the ad down here at this dealer.

"GREAT NEWS CARFAX IS NOTHING! TRUEFRAME GAVE IT A 92 OF OUT 100 A RATING NOTHING ONLY PREVIOUS DAMAGE TO THE RIGHT FENDER AND QUARTER PANEL: THAT IS IT!). IN BUSINESS SINCE 1994: BUY WITH CONFIDENCE! NUMBER 1 PRE-OWNED DEALER IN GEORGIA TWO YEARS IN A ROW!"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)