Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 02:21 AM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
19k Turbo S Cab PDK for $85,000. Loaded!

Are cabs really worth that much less than coupes?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7326/overview/
The cabs do typically go a bit less, but this ad is not legit. The pictures are cropped weird and look scanned or altered. If you see pictures that don't look quite right. I assume the scammers are altering the pictures so that if you do a reverse image search, it doesn't pull up the actual ad where they lifted the pictures from. The ad also claims 19k miles, but the odometer shows 40k in one of the pictures. He got sloppy. I wouldn't be in a rush to send a deposit on this one.............. Scammers are wising up. They realize that everybody is hip to their game when they list a car 1/2 of market, but if it is close enough to market to make it look semi-plausible as a "really good deal", buyers are more likely to get excited and send a deposit so they don't miss the great opportunity.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:30 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vman932
The cabs do typically go a bit less, but this ad is not legit. The pictures are cropped weird and look scanned or altered. If you see pictures that don't look quite right. I assume the scammers are altering the pictures so that if you do a reverse image search, it doesn't pull up the actual ad where they lifted the pictures from. The ad also claims 19k miles, but the odometer shows 40k in one of the pictures. He got sloppy. I wouldn't be in a rush to send a deposit on this one.............. Scammers are wising up. They realize that everybody is hip to their game when they list a car 1/2 of market, but if it is close enough to market to make it look semi-plausible as a "really good deal", buyers are more likely to get excited and send a deposit so they don't miss the great opportunity.
If that is the case, one would think that cars.com would have the technology to weed out scammers. Allowing scams on their site does not portend well to future buyers putting trust into cars.com's listings.

They aren't CL, and I am sure they have some money to work with to prevent fraudulent listings.

I recently bought my wife a vintage necklace on 1stdibs.com. On that site, all sellers are verified and the platform stands behind that verification. It gave me confidence that the necklace she fell in love with is indeed an 18K vintage tubogas Italian-made necklace and not costume jewelry.

If cars.com allows scams, what are the most trustworthy sites? Are the PCA classifieds typically legit? Sellers often ask above retail pricing for their cars, but occasionally I see a car that is priced to find a home, sooner or later.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
If that is the case, one would think that cars.com would have the technology to weed out scammers. Allowing scams on their site does not portend well to future buyers putting trust into cars.com's listings.

They aren't CL, and I am sure they have some money to work with to prevent fraudulent listings.

I recently bought my wife a vintage necklace on 1stdibs.com. On that site, all sellers are verified and the platform stands behind that verification. It gave me confidence that the necklace she fell in love with is indeed an 18K vintage tubogas Italian-made necklace and not costume jewelry.

If cars.com allows scams, what are the most trustworthy sites? Are the PCA classifieds typically legit? Sellers often ask above retail pricing for their cars, but occasionally I see a car that is priced to find a home, sooner or later.
Are you out of your mind? Yes there are a lot of scams in the car world but I can tell you for a fact that the majority of diamonds and rare gems are fakes anymore. They are so good that even experts and specialized tools can't catch them. I had a friend in the jewelry business for 30+ years. He knew it inside and out but eventually gave up because he couldn't find reliable suppliers for any of the raw materials that went into his products. Platinum was white gold, diamonds were synthetic or peppered, sapphires and rubies are more Verneuil process than real.

Even the experts are bamboozled for decades - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...exposed-fakes/

No one markets an 80k car with bad photo crops. Move on - nothing to see here.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:58 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by samwise
Yikes, 90k and no backseat... ouch...

Very cool build and I bet if you added up all the options it cost almost as much as a GT3. Part of me don't understand why someone would order a GTS and make it a "hardcore" build. Why not just get a GT3?

How hard is it to take out the rollcage and put the backseats back in?
anyone have a picture of this 'roll cage'. dollars to donuts it's just a harness bar. if it is a half cage i'm guessing seats are out but mounting hardware is still in. rear seats are all over the place cheap.
and yeah, no way is this guy getting $90k for his GTS.
I was one who got a GTS instead of a GT3 because I needed the back seats for my kid.
Maybe this person made it a track car after DDing it for a while. Plausible but I'd take it back to stock and part the aftermarket parts.
We need more info and pics.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,966 Likes on 2,045 Posts

C4S Aerokit with Sport Seats. 997.1.

https://www.hennessyporsche.com/inve...ab29978s731097
Old 09-11-2018, 03:40 AM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
anyone have a picture of this 'roll cage'. dollars to donuts it's just a harness bar. if it is a half cage i'm guessing seats are out but mounting hardware is still in. rear seats are all over the place cheap.
and yeah, no way is this guy getting $90k for his GTS.
I was one who got a GTS instead of a GT3 because I needed the back seats for my kid.
Maybe this person made it a track car after DDing it for a while. Plausible but I'd take it back to stock and part the aftermarket parts.
We need more info and pics.
Anyone have membership to PCA? I guess I can just pay $40 for their test drive program. The car checks a lot of the boxes for me... wonder how much you can sell all the aftermarket parts for... I have a coworker with a 997.2 GT3, maybe he'll take those fancy GT2 Buckets :P
Old 09-11-2018, 09:26 AM
8Lug
Burning Brakes

Received 821 Likes on 387 Posts

Anyone have membership to PCA? I guess I can just pay $40 for their test drive program. The car checks a lot of the boxes for me... wonder how much you can sell all the aftermarket parts for... I have a coworker with a 997.2 GT3, maybe he'll take those fancy GT2 Buckets :P
PM me and I'll send you the seller's contact info.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:32 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

found pics. Definitely half cage. But no harnesses. So probably just for show then. From what I see there $9k in parts you can sell but you’ll need both front and rear seats. That’s $4k unless the rear seats come with the sale. Not enough info from this seller.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:26 AM
8Lug
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nwGTS

found pics. Definitely half cage. But no harnesses. So probably just for show then. From what I see there $9k in parts you can sell but you’ll need both front and rear seats. That’s $4k unless the rear seats come with the sale. Not enough info from this seller.
Main issue I had with this car was that the factory seats were sold. Since they had the matching deviated red stitching (to match the rest of the full leather interior) it would be difficult to replace them without significant expense. The odds of finding adaptive seats with color correct deviated stitching on the used market are very slim. I feel like this GTS is one the nicest factory builds I have seen but has been molested with all the pointless modifications. The beauty of the GTS is that it is the best NA 911 for the street. Trying to make it a track car like a GT3 takes away from that. If you want a track car, there are now plenty of GT3s showing up in the same $90k range.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:51 PM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 8Lug
Main issue I had with this car was that the factory seats were sold. Since they had the matching deviated red stitching (to match the rest of the full leather interior) it would be difficult to replace them without significant expense. The odds of finding adaptive seats with color correct deviated stitching on the used market are very slim. I feel like this GTS is one the nicest factory builds I have seen but has been molested with all the pointless modifications. The beauty of the GTS is that it is the best NA 911 for the street. Trying to make it a track car like a GT3 takes away from that. If you want a track car, there are now plenty of GT3s showing up in the same $90k range.
Well you just answered the question I was going to ask the seller - if the factory seats were sold I'm probably not interested... I just don't see myself keeping those GT2 seats and like you said, finding adaptive sport seats with red stitching is going to be next to impossible. The only thing that still keeps me (somewhat) interested in this car is that it's local to me, love the idea of buying locally, but I think the price gap is going to be too far to bridge. Seller is probably thinking the mods makes the car worth more than market price GTS while I think it makes it worth less.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:24 PM
8Lug
Burning Brakes

Well you just answered the question I was going to ask the seller - if the factory seats were sold I'm probably not interested... I just don't see myself keeping those GT2 seats and like you said, finding adaptive sport seats with red stitching is going to be next to impossible. The only thing that still keeps me (somewhat) interested in this car is that it's local to me, love the idea of buying locally, but I think the price gap is going to be too far to bridge. Seller is probably thinking the mods makes the car worth more than market price GTS while I think it makes it worth less.
I think you and I are looking for the exact same car. That leaves us with only two options the way I see it; you can be my rennlist arch nemesis from this point forward or we combine our funds and efforts and do a time share on the nicest GTS we can find
Old 09-11-2018, 03:56 PM
samwise
Rennlist Member

I think you and I are looking for the exact same car. That leaves us with only two options the way I see it; you can be my rennlist arch nemesis from this point forward or we combine our funds and efforts and do a time share on the nicest GTS we can find
Haha probably, although I'll settle for a C2S with the right options, and there's also just a tiny part of me that wants to get a clean E46 m3 to drive for a few years just to scratch that itch from my poor college days and check that off my list. You can eliminate your competition by helping me find a 997.2 C2S in Carrara White, Black interior, sports seats and sports PASM , bonus if it has full leather and PSE!

Old 09-11-2018, 04:33 PM
8Lug
Burning Brakes

Haha probably, although I'll settle for a C2S with the right options, and there's also just a tiny part of me that wants to get a clean E46 m3 to drive for a few years just to scratch that itch from my poor college days and check that off my list. You can eliminate your competition by helping me find a 997.2 C2S in Carrara White, Black interior, sports seats and sports PASM , bonus if it has full leather and PSE!
Here you go. Don't say I never did anything for you.
https://www.allthingsporsches.com/20...ra-s-c-180.htm

I'd buy it myself but I'm still too sour from not buying it myself 5 months ago when Infinity of Sarasota was willing it to sell it to me for $70k. I wasn't ready since I didn't have my other car sold at the time and I regretted it ever since. It was the best deal I came across all year. Now it pops up for $16k more. I believe the current flipper acquired the car for $69k so you should have plenty of room to negotiate.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:36 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just FYI -- the guy that runs the Facebook 997 classifieds is selling GT3 alcantara adaptives with deviated stitch for <$3K. He is in LA area. No affiliation, just something I saw.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 PM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Here you go. Don't say I never did anything for you.
https://www.allthingsporsches.com/20...ra-s-c-180.htm

I'd buy it myself but I'm still too sour from not buying it myself 5 months ago when Infinity of Sarasota was willing it to sell it to me for $70k. I wasn't ready since I didn't have my other car sold at the time and I regretted it ever since. It was the best deal I came across all year. Now it pops up for $16k more. I believe the current flipper acquired the car for $69k so you should have plenty of room to negotiate.
Thanks! I'll check into it! Looks like a great example, but they're crazy with their anchor pricing!

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)