Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspected Lifter Noise After Auto-x Run

Old 10-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Suspected Lifter Noise After Auto-x Run

I suspect I have a lifter that is ticking right after I come off the auto-x course. I'm posing the question of why it is so noisy only after an auto-x run. The engine sounds fine on start up and regular street driving. Could it be oil starvation due to constant cornering? Lifter going bad?

Our auto-x runs are usually set up as flying laps with 3-4 laps per heat which equates to about 2-3 minutes or more of extreme cornering, acceleration, and braking all at once in one session. I've never noticed a drop in oil pressure at any time... usually 4-5 bars during throttle and hovering just over 1 bar at hot idle. Perhaps I need to cut my runs down to no more than a couple laps at a time...if oil foaming or oil starvation is actually causing a lifter to collapse from lack of oil pressure. This engine has 103K miles and I use 0W-40 oil. Perhaps a heavy weight oil like a 5W-50 would help. I'm just speculating at this point and trying to educate myself on the concept and operation.

I included an edited video of before and after my run on the course. The first 10 seconds you can hear the normal engine operation and then it cuts to the last portion of the video you can hear a distinct ticking noise that increases and decreases with engine RPM as I pull into my parking spot.

Last edited by Devil Boy; 10-22-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Fixed video link
Old 10-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I don't see a video or link, just a large blank white square.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I don't see a video or link, just a large blank white square.
Ok, I think I fixed the link.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

What's interesting is that the ticking seemed to lag behind the revs. When you blipped the throttle just as you were parking it seemed like it was a few seconds behind. Could it be a tensioner or something belt related that is not as quick to react?
Old 10-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

I can double check all my pulleys but they were good when I checked 3K miles ago. I would think a pulley would be something constant but I could certainly pull the belt off and make sure. I've driven the car this week and even to work today and it sounds fine with no audible ticking.

I'm going to stop by Harbor Freight and pick up a stethoscope and play doctor with the engine this weekend. I really suspect it's a valve train noise.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I was't thinking the actual pulley so much as something in the belt/ pulley system. Alternator, AC Comp, tensioner wheels.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Yes, my entire serpentine system was good to go. Water pump has @20K miles on it.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Tandem secondary oil pump/vacuum pump in the lower right side of the engine? It pumps oil to the right bank of lifters. I had a ticking noise that increased with engine rpm's in that area, slight lag like you describe, loudest with the mechanics stethoscope on it's cover. But my noise was present with the engine hot or cold, loudest when starting a cold engine.

The other secondary oil pump is in the left front of the engine.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:23 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
I suspect I have a lifter that is ticking right after I come off the auto-x course. I'm posing the question of why it is so noisy only after an auto-x run. The engine sounds fine on start up and regular street driving. Could it be oil starvation due to constant cornering? Lifter going bad?

Our auto-x runs are usually set up as flying laps with 3-4 laps per heat which equates to about 2-3 minutes or more of extreme cornering, acceleration, and braking all at once in one session. I've never noticed a drop in oil pressure at any time... usually 4-5 bars during throttle and hovering just over 1 bar at hot idle. Perhaps I need to cut my runs down to no more than a couple laps at a time...if oil foaming or oil starvation is actually causing a lifter to collapse from lack of oil pressure. This engine has 103K miles and I use 0W-40 oil. Perhaps a heavy weight oil like a 5W-50 would help. I'm just speculating at this point and trying to educate myself on the concept and operation.

I included an edited video of before and after my run on the course. The first 10 seconds you can hear the normal engine operation and then it cuts to the last portion of the video you can hear a distinct ticking noise that increases and decreases with engine RPM as I pull into my parking spot.

Porsche 997 Engine Sound - YouTube
The loss of clean oil pressure, when it happens at all, is from sustained high g-loads. Not back and forth, sustained. Think high speed turn, count to three or four. Autocross turns are more like, count to one. Or less.

Also, think about it. If you think its oil pressure related, then why would it be making more noise after the run? It should be noisy during and quiet afterwards, right? So its not that.

If it is valves (if) then it could simply be one getting a little noisy when the temp goes up, as it probably does during a run. If its gone when you restart for the next run, well then there you go.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:51 AM
Chowbow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try holding the RPMs at a few thousand RPM after the run, in neutral. If the noise goes away with the oil pressure it's likely a lifter stuck. Coming from the E36 BMW world, it's a common issue for us. Some guys overfill the crankcase a bit and it helps. Not sure if that translates well into these engines, but something to consider.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Good information everyone. Thanks. Going forward I will continue to keep an eye (ear) on it.

Hot and sticky lifters would make a great name for a rock band.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Just an update, I changed my oil to 5W-50. Ran our auto-x last Sunday and I never had an issue with any lifter noise after each run. Each pass was only @ 80 seconds so that is shorter time than our usual 3-4 lap events but so far so good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspected Lifter Noise After Auto-x Run