Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would you get another PDK?

Old 10-12-2015, 03:51 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 996scott
Would your next Porsche be another PDK or would you go back to a 6speed?
My tagline on this site used to be 'my next car will have pdk' and this was 2007-8 before it was released. On paper it's awesome and I've driven it extensively. But my 6 sp gives too much love for me to part with it.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM
AceOfAces
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never driven a pdk before but I couldn't see myself in anything other than a 3 pedal stick car.

I love the feeling of being part of the car, the satisfaction of executing a perfect shift, and the exhilaration of rev matching too much.

Perhaps in the future a PDK as a 2nd or 3rd car would be something to consider, but as long as I can drive it I couldn't see myself with anything other than a 3 pedal.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:35 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 C2S manual which I have owned since new and love it. I also have a 2015 BMW M4 with DCT ( The " BMW PDK"). I bought the DCT because I couldn't convince my wife we needed 2 cars that she couldn't drive. While the M4 is much newer and faster and has become the DD I truly believe the 10yo Porsche is the true sports car. However, I have also had the opportunity to drive the PDK. I actually like the DCT better than the PDK because it seems "more manual than the PDK". I am not trying to throw flames on this board as I truly believe "There is no substitute" and no doubt as to the better sports car, but I was curious if anyone else ( other devoted manual drivers) had similar or different view in DCT vs. PDK.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:08 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you text, eat, drink, smoke, vape, shave/apply makeup while you drive... buy the MT and start concentrating on your driving.

If your daily driver is a "350" (RX, E, or F-) or similar I suggest you buy a proper tripedal "sporting" Porsche.

I have driven PDK equipped P-cars. Amazing driving experience. If your daily driver has three pedals and you need the PDK to be competitive at track days... go for it. Personally, I have some concerns due to the number of issues/idiosyncrasies reported by PDK owners.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:20 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't get another PDK - it adds too much performance to the car. I'd much rather lose power while shifting gears. Plus, my accuracy and speed in clutch management is superior to any computer algorithm. For similar reasons, I have removed the starter motor from my 997, and replaced it with a hand crank that protrudes from my center radiator. I also drained all the power steering fluid out of my car because power steering ruins the feel of the road. I also would not buy a car with windshield wipers because I enjoy wiping rain and ice with my bare hands. Also, would not purchase a car with a heater. Not only do the heating ducts add weight, but I like to squirt a little gasoline at the pump in a styrofoam cup and light it - much better way to heat the cabin and plus it makes the interior dome lights unnecessary. I hope this answers your question and helps with your decision.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:21 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

I have been a lover of the driving experience since I bought my first car in 1986. Swore up and down that I would never own an automatic. PDK changed my mind. Yes I would buy another.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:50 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I wouldn't get another PDK - it adds too much performance to the car. I'd much rather lose power while shifting gears. Plus, my accuracy and speed in clutch management is superior to any computer algorithm. For similar reasons, I have removed the starter motor from my 997, and replaced it with a hand crank that protrudes from my center radiator. I also drained all the power steering fluid out of my car because power steering ruins the feel of the road. I also would not buy a car with windshield wipers because I enjoy wiping rain and ice with my bare hands. Also, would not purchase a car with a heater. Not only do the heating ducts add weight, but I like to squirt a little gasoline at the pump in a styrofoam cup and light it - much better way to heat the cabin and plus it makes the interior dome lights unnecessary. I hope this answers your question and helps with your decision.

Wow, sounds like someone is having a really bad day. I hope things start looking up for you

Last edited by 996scott; 10-12-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996scott
Wow, sounds like someone is having a really bad day. I hope things start looking up for you
Well, I thought his comment was pretty funny. And, I get the point that PDK is objectively better for performance. My 2 cents -- I drove a PDK Boxster as a long-term loaner when my manual 997 (a DD in LA!) was in the shop. Loved the Boxster (it's really a kick *** little car) and thought PDK was very impressive. No doubt that a PDK is faster / smarter at shifting that I ever could be. Around a track I would be substantially faster in a PDK. The thing is that I just didn't like it as much. My 997 is so excessively fast for street use anyway, that the added performance isn't ever necessary even in spirited driving nor is it worth the trade off from lack of involvement. Finally, since I am a long term owner, I would also be worrying about fixing a PDK if it broke. You can see the wave coming, though -- if 90% of purchasers now go with a PDK, then I imagine before too long, there will be no more manual Porsches. Tis sad.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 997, esq
Well, I thought his comment was pretty funny
I thought so too. I always get a good belly laugh when someone makes what they think are clever analogies, while totally oblivious to the flaws in their logic Comfort features like power steering and A/C are a drag on the engine and add weight to the car (a starter adds weight too as a matter of fact), thus decreasing acceleration and performance. Exactly the opposite of the argument in favor of PDK over a MT.

Fact is, TTBOMK everybody who prefers a MT readily concedes that PDK is quicker and less tedious in stop-and-go traffic. Some people, myself included, just find a MT more fun to drive, and are willing to sacrifice some performance and comfort in return for the tactile experience of a 3-pedal.

Not sure why any PDK guy would feel compelled to get snarky about it. What do they have to be bitter about? It's us MT guys who are being cast aside in the automotive world.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,137 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
I have been a lover of the driving experience since I bought my first car in 1986. Swore up and down that I would never own an automatic. PDK changed my mind. Yes I would buy another.
This, although my first car purchase predates this by 20 years, and I have a buyer's bias now that I have broken my rule and bought the PDK. That and my weary left leg is numb and less sensitive which makes me too aware that my old shifting capability is diminished. I definitely don't need the extra performance. The driving experience and involvement is enhanced by the M position. And I'm happy enough to not miss the manual and I believe I'm not kidding myself that, given the choice, my next car would be a PDK again, strong left leg or not.

At least until I get the 60K service tomorrow!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Currently have a 2007 TT manual as my daily GT. Lots of fun. But almost too fast to row the gears around town.
Will replace it with a 2012 TTS PDK at some point as it make for a better street car in the city.

Any new 911 I get will be PDK.
The new cars are so fast and so far disconnected from analog that a stick dosnt really matter.

I enjoy a stick in an older slower car. 911, 964, 993.... even the 997.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The pdk is a much better performer, I get it, and I have driven plenty of PDK/DCT cars... But I just can't buy one, the 6mt is just too much fun, too therapeutic, and I don't need the PDK performance on the street.

I know how this is trending, and I'm surprised that the manuals are dying so quickly. I guess I'm in a vastly shrinking minority.

to all the manual guys and gals!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
The pdk is a much better performer, I get it, and I have driven plenty of PDK/DCT cars... But I just can't buy one, the 6mt is just too much fun, too therapeutic, and I don't need the PDK performance on the street.

I know how this is trending, and I'm surprised that the manuals are dying so quickly. I guess I'm in a vastly shrinking minority.

to all the manual guys and gals!
I blame the E60 M5. They started the no manual business. Then the customers forced them to give them a manual.

When asked about the SMG in the M5, the representative replied that the car is like an F1 car. "What's more pure than F1?" Who the fuçk said F1 is pure?

I don't need performance. If I did, I wouldn't want it in a road car. I just want a fun car. That includes a MT. Driving home after a long hard day, I shift gears just for fun, heel toe, get home with no stress or residual anger.

A PDK would **** me off after a long hard day. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:03 AM
997v2cabrio
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I would get PDK again. PDK with Sport Crono turns the 911 into an amazing machine. Kinda like going from watching a football game on small box TV to watching it on a big flat screen High Definition TV. Like going from steel brakes to carbon fiber brakes, or an older tire from the 70's compared to the new compound tire.
MT's are fun to drive, but its soon to be from a bygone Era.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned my 911C4S CAB PDK for almost 3 years and am really happy with it. As with every option available on the 911, I agonized about many of the options that were on the "must have" list. I would buy another 911 with the PDK.

I have had reactions (negative) from non 911 owners that the car it its an automatic. As most folks in group understand, we are all very fortunate to have our cars regardless of what options we have or don't have. One of the reasons I keep coming back to this site is that I enjoy the discussion and see what other folks are doing with their cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: would you get another PDK?