Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Airbag Jumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Yes the clear body as above, referred to as a MICRO FUSE, in 3ohm. Available at any auto parts store. Now whether it's actually 3 ohms is subject to testing. I have the airbag warning off via Durametic but it's still illuminated beneath the gauge cluster. Airbag trigger failed for low and high speed hence the red symbol on dash but not creating a CEL/ warning. I'll swap the male ends of the resistors and see if that helps.
a fuse will read in AMPS not OHMS. At least none ive ever seen. A fuse will 'blow' when a current greater than the current limit on the fuse is applied to the circuit in which the fuse lies. You need a resistor of 3 ohms.

The current applied to trip the airbags is in milliamps anyway. Its three orders of magnitude smaller than any current that would trip a fuse. So if a current large enough to trip that fuse even at 1 amp is applied you're possibly frying circuits before that fuse pops. so IMO you don't need a fuse here
Old 02-11-2017, 12:19 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Since we are cross posted up the yang here, I added 7s rather than 3s this next cycle and it extinguished the column SRS airbag symbol, for a few seconds. I then used the Durametric on it and saw some values right at 2.90 ergo the 3 value we strive for. Going up to 7 who knows what i'm doing. All I know is the 3s like yours were not 3 as read by my FLUKE meter.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:56 AM
dougle_turbo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to fit a momo steering wheel using the same method as the OP however the momo adaptor that I have purchased (K8017R) fouls on the steering column see arrow. Can the OP tell me which hub he used?

Thanks

Old 08-03-2019, 09:14 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dougle_turbo
I'm trying to fit a momo steering wheel using the same method as the OP however the momo adaptor that I have purchased (K8017R) fouls on the steering column see arrow. Can the OP tell me which hub he used?

Thanks

Youre on the right path. That plastic piece you have the arrow pointing to needs to be cut off. Don’t worry. It’s not functional on our cars.

Once you do that the hub will marry up without issue.
Good luck!
Old 08-03-2019, 02:34 PM
dougle_turbo
7th Gear

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Youre on the right path. That plastic piece you have the arrow pointing to needs to be cut off. Don’t worry. It’s not functional on our cars.

Once you do that the hub will marry up without issue.
Good luck!
I've been staring at the dremmel and that piece of plastic all afternoon trying to work out if it does anything.

It's in trouble now!

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:44 PM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 114 Posts

i'm in the process of this right now.
i bought the omp hub which includes the resistor along with an omp wrc wheel with red stitching and red stripe, since my car is guards red.
ALEV8's question hasn't been answered and I am needing the same answer. there are two airbag plugs. each airbag plug has 2 wires. which of the two wires on each plug do the resistor leads go in to?
the pic that was posted clearly shows one lead to each plug but the electrical tape blocks the view of which of the two holes they go in to.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:53 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drola
i'm in the process of this right now.
i bought the omp hub which includes the resistor along with an omp wrc wheel with red stitching and red stripe, since my car is guards red.
ALEV8's question hasn't been answered and I am needing the same answer. there are two airbag plugs. each airbag plug has 2 wires. which of the two wires on each plug do the resistor leads go in to?
the pic that was posted clearly shows one lead to each plug but the electrical tape blocks the view of which of the two holes they go in to.
Use the schematic I posted. that has the airbag circuits identified and the corresponding leads on the hub which your resistors attach to
Old 11-06-2019, 12:03 AM
drola
Rennlist Member

do i need two resistors or just one? the kit came with one. Jossue's pic above shows just one resistor hooked up to both plugs. one lead of the resistor into each plug.
but between those two plugs, there are 4 wires. so which of the 4 wires do each of the resistor leads plug in to?
i see what you're saying though if using two resistors
Old 11-06-2019, 12:16 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

do i need two resistors or just one? the kit came with one. Jossue's pic above shows just one resistor hooked up to both plugs. one lead of the resistor into each plug.
but between those two plugs, there are 4 wires. so which of the 4 wires do each of the resistor leads plug in to?
i see what you're saying though if using two resistors
You need two. One to jump the high speed airbag circuit and one to jump the low speed airbag circuit. Not all cars have two which is why the kit comes with just one resistor. Don’t worry they are cheap and easy to find on amazon or your local electronics hoppy shop.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:29 AM
drola
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks.

I’ll go on the hunt for another resistor and then hopefully finish this up
Old 11-18-2019, 12:17 PM
drola
Rennlist Member

i ended up buying the resistors in the pic on amazon. i just put the pins in each hole of the harness plug and taped them up so they don't fall out.
turned the key and started the car. the airbag light did come on though. not sure why since i never turned on the ignition while it was disconnected. i got out my durametric pro, cleared the airbag light and viola. no more airbag light. driven the car quite a bit since and the light has not come back on so i'm assuming it worked as it should.
btw - i only used 2 of the 10 resistors. if anyone needs some to do this mod let me know and i'll gladly mail you a couple

Old 07-02-2020, 11:48 AM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jossue

This is how I did mine again there different ways I extended the wires on the horn so that if and when I switch to my old wheel I just cut and splice. You can also see how I jumped the airbag at the harness end. This is a semi permanent set up as I used splices but I just wrapped them in electrical tape as opposed to heat shrink that way I can go back to stock if I need hope it helps
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Am I correct in thinking the brown horn wire is for the ground?

On the airbag wires, which wires did you join with the resistor?
Old 07-02-2020, 01:36 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rmag911
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Am I correct in thinking the brown horn wire is for the ground?

On the airbag wires, which wires did you join with the resistor?
Color labels are here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post12555427

Resistor just needs to be anywhere in the airbag circuit. If you are not skilled in electronics I do not suggest you DIY this. A shop will do it safely.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:22 PM
Specialedd
1st Gear

Default Resistors

i ended up buying the resistors in the pic on amazon. i just put the pins in each hole of the harness plug and taped them up so they don't fall out.
turned the key and started the car. the airbag light did come on though. not sure why since i never turned on the ignition while it was disconnected. i got out my durametric pro, cleared the airbag light and viola. no more airbag light. driven the car quite a bit since and the light has not come back on so i'm assuming it worked as it should.
btw - i only used 2 of the 10 resistors. if anyone needs some to do this mod let me know and i'll gladly mail you a couple

would you happen to have any of those resistors left?
Old 02-18-2023, 12:29 PM
murphymattm
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey all. I tried this. Added 2x 3ohm resistors to the airbags but I'm still getting the light? Any help would be appreciated!

Looks good tho!

The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (03-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Airbag Jumper