Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 PM
REDTURBO
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE)

Hi Folks,

Hoping you can assist me. I basically want to keep the PSE active (open) all the time without having to select the SPORT button or having to run another wire/switch to manually open/shut the valves.

Can I disconnect a tube or something to keep the PSE active?
I tried searching the web but so many different answers and no definitive instructions/photos on how to.

Love the sound of the PSE but the SPORT function is a little too aggressive of a ride for the wife sometimes!

Thanks in advance everyone....
Old 08-24-2015, 04:35 PM
granprixweiss928
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE)

Search this forum. Unplug the connector on top right hand side of engine and it will always be open or loud mode.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by REDTURBO
Hi Folks,

Hoping you can assist me. I basically want to keep the PSE active (open) all the time without having to select the SPORT button or having to run another wire/switch to manually open/shut the valves.

Can I disconnect a tube or something to keep the PSE active?
I tried searching the web but so many different answers and no definitive instructions/photos on how to.

Love the sound of the PSE but the SPORT function is a little too aggressive of a ride for the wife sometimes!

Thanks in advance everyone....
Not too hard to find - see post #5

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-a-997-a.html
Old 08-24-2015, 06:50 PM
REDTURBO
Racer

Fantastic - Thank You!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

If you want the improved throttle response and louder exhaust note without the sport suspension setting, you can press the Sport button and then press the separate PASM button to move the suspension back to normal. This is what I'd recommend that you do. The reason the exhaust flaps go back to normal at idle is that because the exhaust needs to provide some back pressure in order to increase torque at the lower rpms. It's also nice to be able to push a button to quiet the system down like when a police officer is coming up from behind you on the interstate or when pulling into your neighborhood.

If you don't care about any of this then you can do as the others have posted and just unplug the connector from the vacuum solenoid in the engine bay.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:15 AM
REDTURBO
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
If you want the improved throttle response and louder exhaust note without the sport suspension setting, you can press the Sport button and then press the separate PASM button to move the suspension back to normal. This is what I'd recommend that you do. The reason the exhaust flaps go back to normal at idle is that because the exhaust needs to provide some back pressure in order to increase torque at the lower rpms. It's also nice to be able to push a button to quiet the system down like when a police officer is coming up from behind you on the interstate or when pulling into your neighborhood.

If you don't care about any of this then you can do as the others have posted and just unplug the connector from the vacuum solenoid in the engine bay.
Thank you Petza914!
I will do this method instead as I do like the improved throttle response and works very well with the Porsche short shifter!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:38 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The reason the exhaust flaps go back to normal at idle is that because the exhaust needs to provide some back pressure in order to increase torque at the lower rpms.
Not 100% certain (but perhaps 98% certain) that this is not the reason.

Noise regulations are usually set at a certain RPM range (the assumption being it is normal "driving" range) in manual cars. The range I've seen is ~3-3.5k rpm. The flaps closing happen to coincide with this range... coincidence? No... and it is the case with many modern exotics and stock exhausts so they can sell the same system globally more easily.

From what I understand, the cats will provide the vast majority of backpressure and the flaps opening / closing will make virtually no difference.

I notice no torque difference in using fister mufflers vs. stock. 911s aren't very torque-y and that rev range below 3.5k would almost never be engaged in performance driving anyways, so it makes little sense for Porsche to engineer a system tailored for that purpose to get a couple pound ft of torque (assuming you even lose that much) and add that much complexity.

If there is something that owners tend to "disengage" or swap out in the aftermarket, the reason for it being there originally is usually cost or regulations :-)

Quick Reply: Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE)