Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Thanks for the explanation Tom.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD
-Before I go through the update process, is there a way to tell which version if have (to see if I've already updated it but somehow forgotten)?
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
if you connect the DSC to your PC and start the DSC application, if you look under 'tools' you will find a "serial port test" option, you can use that to
query the DSC for its version by sending a 'V' to it via this tool ... it will respond with its f/w version...
Larry is correct. Use the "V Command" function to read the firmware version. Thank you for your support, Larry!

To reiterate Larry's reply:
Connect your DSC to PC
Open DSC Tuning Software
File > select Vehicle Type
Tools > Codes & Config
A new dialect box will appear
Start > enter the letter v > Send

This function as well as other are in the DSC Software User Manual available from the Download section of the DSC website: www.dscsport.com
Old 10-10-2018, 02:03 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Hi DSC! The PASM controller is on my 997.2S's Christmas wish list. She's been a good Porsche all year and I'm hoping Santa will come through. Any chance there will be a discount code released in the near future?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Hi DSC! The PASM controller is on my 997.2S's Christmas wish list. She's been a good Porsche all year
Hello. Thanks. She deserves one!

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Any chance there will be a discount code released in the near future?
Sorry we don't talk about the D word here. Just Software Tuning and Tech discussions.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:43 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I realize this is off topic but are all 997 V1 Controllers the same? Since the website shows only one option, will the same controller work across all models (ei Turbo, C2S, C4, 997.1, 997.2, etc.)?
Old 10-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 730 Posts

This is my part number for my 2010 C4S PDK. It is the same as a friend's GTS PDK, FWIW.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EG997C2
I realize this is off topic but are all 997 V1 Controllers the same? Since the website shows only one option, will the same controller work across all models (ei Turbo, C2S, C4, 997.1, 997.2, etc.)?
When ordering through the DSC website, during the end of the checkout process the purchaser can type in the year/model of car.
DSC offers two versions of 997 V1 controller. Both versions are same price. The two versions as we referred to them are listed below:
1)The 997.1 version, for non-turbo models of 997.1 cars(and 987.1), this includes Carrera, Carrera S, C4, C4S, GT3, RS. This version requires DSC 3-axis accelerometer which is sold separately.
2)The 997.2 version, for all models of 997.2 cars(and 987.2), this includes Carrera, Carrera S, C4, C4S, GTS, GT3, RS, And all 997 Turbo/Turbo S/GT2 from year 2007 to 2012.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:31 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
When ordering through the DSC website, during the end of the checkout process the purchaser can type in the year/model of car.
DSC offers two versions of 997 V1 controller. Both versions are same price. The two versions as we referred to them are listed below:
1)The 997.1 version, for non-turbo models of 997.1 cars(and 987.1), this includes Carrera, Carrera S, C4, C4S, GT3, RS. This version requires DSC 3-axis accelerometer which is sold separately.
2)The 997.2 version, for all models of 997.2 cars(and 987.2), this includes Carrera, Carrera S, C4, C4S, GTS, GT3, RS, And all 997 Turbo/Turbo S/GT2 from year 2007 to 2012.
I purchased a used one. Is there any way to tell which version I have by looking at it?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Sorry, there's actually three versions. The third version is not as common but nonetheless available, it is listed below:
3)The 997/987 SA version, SA(StandAlone) is for all 997/987(and 996/986) cars that aren't factory equipped with PASM to convert to DSC active suspension. Includes 997 Cup cars and custom build race cars that doesn't have factory PASM wiring harness.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to rezero my Damptronics b/c I had them adjusted and corner balanced recently. Unfortunately, my menus are different than the one on the Tuning Academy video (maybe the one in the video is an older/different version?). Anyway, I first confirmed that I have connection between my PC, the DSC, and the car via the read all function. The video then says to go to Tools > Switched Input > Shock travel...etc...etc...etc...

But...
A) I don't have a switched input option under the tools tab. Instead, all I have are serial settings, codes/config, read all, write all, reset board, config data log, and record data log. "Config data log" is the closest thing I can find to "switched input", but when I open that...
B) I don't have a shock travel option. Instead, I only have (for each shock) IDX1, percent, set point, and current out.

Here's the Tuning Academy video

Am I doing something wrong or looking in the wrong place or what??
Old 10-15-2018, 11:18 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD
I'm trying to rezero my Damptronics b/c I had them adjusted and corner balanced recently. Unfortunately, my menus are different than the one on the Tuning Academy video (maybe the one in the video is an older/different version?).
Since this is the 997 forum, I assume your car is a 997. 997's don't have ride height sensors at each corner of the car like 991's do. Thus, there is no DSC Velocity function on 997's. There's no need to zero the height sensor since the four ride height sensors aren't on this car.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:58 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Anyone have experience with controller with a 2011 GTS? At Sebring? Looking to purchase this, and want to understand if anyone has real life benefits/impovement experience? Should I use canned setup? other?
Old 12-20-2018, 03:28 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

No doubt in my mind it will be an improvement and you'll love it.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 PM
it001
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Tom,
Would like your opinion on specifically choosing between the Bilstein B16 Damptronic and Bilstein B16 Damptronic Clubsport. The clubsport having independent Bump and Rebound dials. Is there any benefit to having the clubsport over a regular one if using the DSC?

Thank you.

Using DSC software not only can Compression(aka Bump) and Rebound be adjusted interdependently they can also be adjusted for the level of load in the G Force table, Brake table, *Accel table, **Velocity, and Speed table. Unlike conventional passive mechanical adjustable dampers, DSC does Compression and Rebound adjustments dynamically and multi-dimensionally!

Here is an example in the DSC G Force Table-
Referring the cell highlighted in Blue color, the user must understand the basics of how any G Force table(or G Force circle) works, in this example, the highlighted cell shows the damping commands at 0.4g of straight line braking. Inside the cell are four numeric values, each value is the command for a specific damper(Left Front, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear). The user must also understand basic vehicle dynamics in that during straight line braking the vehicle dives, thus the front dampers are on Compression stroke and the rear dampers are on Rebound stroke. In this particular example, the DSC damping commands are 50% Compression for the front dampers and 60% Rebound for the rear dampers.

Of course DSC users can adjust these values to suit their personal preference for their usage; Let's say for a daily commute there is a traffic intersection that is very bump. The user can reduce the front compression by 5% or 7% or 10% respective to the nominal g force range for braking at this particular traffic intersection. The user can reduce front compression before making an adjustment to the rear rebound or the user can adjust both at the same time. In addition to these adjustments the user can also modulate the braking pressure at the brake pedal to trigger different damping commands on the fly.

Here is an example of the DSC Brake table showing damping commands of 11.5% Compression(to front damper) and 7.0% Rebound(to rear dampers) at 10 Bar of brake line pressure.

Again, DSC users can make adjustments such as for tracks with bumpy braking zones and for brake pads with very aggressive initial bite(some carbon ceramic type brakes for example). The tuning possibilities are endless with DSC. Please keep in mind that the limitation is in the OEM PASM dampers in its response time, peak damping force, ability to react to commands during mid-stroke, and responds better on rebound stroke than compression stroke. Despite of these limitations DSC users can still do A LOT with OEM PASM dampers. Side note: Tractive DDA dampers do not have these limitations.

Denotes:
* Accel table is not used in standard DSC maps for all vehicles. Can be utilized by DSC users.
** Velocity table is not available for all vehicles. Vehicle must be equipped with four appropriate ride height sensors and associated hardware.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:00 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Tom et al:

Question regarding using z axis in a 2005 C2S 997.1.

I find I'm having a real problem with the car bottoming out (hitting bumpstops/scraping plastics) while in general road driving, most especially when on straight roads when going through road dips etc. I have an aerokit and gt3 cooling ducts and because the car seems to "dip" a lot these touch the road and are getting scraped, far more so than when using the porsche PASM controller.
Front struts and bump stops have just been replaced, car is standard height, not lowered.

Now, of course, because it's in a straight line road (for eg) the only parameter that is controlling the shocks is the G comfort "Default rate". I have 10 for normal and 20 for sport, a little more than what others seem to. Porsche PASM normal is supposedly 20. So theoretically the only thing we can do is increase the default rate parameter.

So what we wanna do is stiffen the struts in a dip so that this doesn't happen, BUT the 997.1 doesn't have any suspension deflection pots.

However, we DO have a 3 axis accelerometer in the car now (to run the DSC).

So my question is thus: Can we use the z axis of the accelerometer to do a psuedo control of the system like having height pots, to add a similar "page" to the controller functions like the "speed" page to dial out behaviour like this? For eg you could have a ramp up of the controller output as z axis increased, or decreased, or whatever testing showed you needed. You could probably eventually do this for any mode, but initially for the comfort parameter table?

Thoughts???

Quick Reply: DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread