Sponsored by:

Abhorrent tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:46 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Abhorrent tires

Not to be too off topic, but I caught a glance of my neighbors tires this morning and was outraged. As you can see in the photo, the tire is completely bald.

Name:  IMG_20150724_073115.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  1.03 MB

They are putting everyone's lives in danger. That tire is going to either violently explode, or send the car into an uncontrollable hydroplane in a South Florida rain. What do you guys think of garbage like this?

If they're living in the building I'm in, they can at least afford bottom of the barrel tires with some tread. I think that's what upsets me most about driving in Miami, everyday I'm exposed to the negligence of other drivers bringing vehicles in dangerously poor conditions out on to the roads.

/rant
Old 07-24-2015, 10:10 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

That's terrible. I see something similar out here when people drive with bad tires in the mountains in snowy weather. Just like you said, they endanger others as much as themselves.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:27 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

If it were an aggressive dog, you'd call animal control.
What do you do here? Call the DMV?
Should you let the air out of the tire?
Passenger front? I'd leave a note.
"I noticed you front tire was terribly bald and unsafe".
Do you have a second favorite shop to send them too?
I often roll down my window and let a fellow motorist know they have a problem.
Flat tire? Nail? Light out?
Couple of years ago I flagged over a really nice SL benz.
Her tire was flat flat flat. Rim on the pavement. I offered to help her change it. She said she knew and only lived a few blocks away. She drove off, aluminum shavings everywhere. People can be odd, stupid and lazy.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:18 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar
Not to be too off topic, but I caught a glance of my neighbors tires this morning and was outraged. As you can see in the photo, the tire is completely bald.

They are putting everyone's lives in danger. That tire is going to either violently explode, or send the car into an uncontrollable hydroplane in a South Florida rain. What do you guys think of garbage like this?

If they're living in the building I'm in, they can at least afford bottom of the barrel tires with some tread. I think that's what upsets me most about driving in Miami, everyday I'm exposed to the negligence of other drivers bringing vehicles in dangerously poor conditions out on to the roads.

/rant
I think you need to say something -- first to them (note on window works). Would **** me off too.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My money says that tire explodes before they even have time to hydroplane off the road. Or maybe they start hydroplaning and then the tire explodes... hmm...
Old 07-24-2015, 11:33 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Default Abhorrent tires

I'll definitely leave a note tonight with a link to tire rack. Hopefully they make it home.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 727 Posts
Default Abhorrent tires

I've seen things like this more times than I can count. Most people in my experience don't know they have a problem. We may be motor heads, but Joe Public is not. Generally, when pointed out in the right way, people are appreciative.

On a more positive note, that tire wear indicates perfect alignment, good shocks, and perfect balance. How are the other three tires?
Old 07-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I've seen things like this more times than I can count. Most people in my experience don't know they have a problem. We may be motor heads, but Joe Public is not. Generally, when pointed out in the right way, people are appreciative.

On a more positive note, that tire wear indicates perfect alignment, good shocks, and perfect balance. How are the other three tires?
You should have gone into civil litgation, Wayne.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:58 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Default Abhorrent tires

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

Love the optimism! I only glanced at the front tires and the driver side still had a faint indication that these tires were not originally slicks, but not much better than the passenger side.

I'll give it a more in depth look prior to leaving a note. Maybe I'll even give them an estimate. I have an incredible alignment guy down here who only charges $70, cash only.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Based on the wheel, color of the bumper cover and position of the marker light, I'd say it's an early model Hyundai Santa Fe.

He's got an SUV! It has AWD (pronounced as "odd")! These tires are still good!

I rented one of these in undergrad for a road/ski trip to Killington one year with a few friends and I found it to be pretty terrible.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

If it bothers you that much, stick a blade in it (you live in S Florida, right?) so he'll have no choice but to replace it.

But yes, it's irresponsible to drive with that tire.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:04 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Default Abhorrent tires

Maybe I'll buy one of these and will unlock it for them once they show me a tire rack receipt.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trimax/431/TWL...rA1hoCEV_w_wcB
Old 07-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Tire caltrops ...
Old 07-24-2015, 01:48 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Does Florida have mandatory annual vehicle safety/smog inspections? From what I googled, it doesn't seem the safety of the vehicle is even questioned; they just make sure the license if issued to the vehicle on which it is displayed.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:00 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PTParks
Does Florida have mandatory annual vehicle safety/smog inspections? From what I googled, it doesn't seem the safety of the vehicle is even questioned; they just make sure the license if issued to the vehicle on which it is displayed.
Florida does not have annual auto inspections like we do in Pennsylvania. They should because there are some real wrecks driving on the roads down there.

I also love it when a car is spewing oil clouds when driving behind them and my car gets coated.

Quick Reply: Abhorrent tires