Sponsored by:

LED DRL Warning List Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:52 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts
Default LED DRL Warning List Issue

I installed a set of LED DRL's from eBay's seller Fishcake321 which is a reputable seller. I installed the lights per the installation guides from this forum and I'm stumped. From the troubleshooting that I've done, the wrap around DRL light bar is throwing the Check Front Side Left and Right Light warning on my dash.

I pulled the lights out and plugged the OEM bulb into the socket and boom the warning is gone. The seller said there isn't a need to add a resistor to the light.

Has this happened to somebody else?

Name:  IMG_1391.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  158.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1389.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  127.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1390.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  160.0 KB

Last edited by KOTYKB; 07-21-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:57 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

It looks like I answered my own question...

From my research tonight I need load line resistors. Here is a simple plug and play module.

Amazon.com: ProFocos T10 Warning Canceler Error Free Adapter LED Light Bulb Lamp Direct replacement for Wedge Type W5W 147 152 158 159 161 168 184 192 193 194 2825: Automotive Amazon.com: ProFocos T10 Warning Canceler Error Free Adapter LED Light Bulb Lamp Direct replacement for Wedge Type W5W 147 152 158 159 161 168 184 192 193 194 2825: Automotive
Old 07-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,156 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Are you also using the current sensing DRL module or just the lights with the factory wiring? If it's just the lights, the fiber optic bar that's lit in your photos is for the parking lights, the row of bright LEDs is the fogs, and the yellows are the turn signals. If you've installed them this way, you should not get any codes as that's they way they are in my wifes's car. In my car I used the current sensing DRL module and wanted the horizontal bar to be that light, not the multiple LEDs, and to do that you have to use the SPDT relay or you'll burn out the current sensing module. However, when you do it this way, I don't know of a way to get rid of the warning, other than clearing it with the stalk, so you have 3 or 4 options -
1. install them the traditional way - no DRL feature
2. install them the traditional way with the DRL module, but use the bright LED fogs as the DRL lights as they won't blow the module
3. install them the way you have them with the DRL module, but with a relay and learn to ignore and clear the warning message
4. you can try load resistors, but when I experimented with them they got very hot, very fast and I deinstalled them. If you have success with these and find a good set, let me know.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:49 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

I installed the LED light assembly the same way the OEM configuration is (Running lights are the Fiber Optic light bar, LED bottom row is FOG, and LED top amber is turn signal). The installation took 5 minutes as its straight forward connections but I did trouble shoot and the warning light is triggered by the fiber optic bar. When I unplugged the fiber optic bar and plugged int he OEM bulb, the warning went away.

My plan is to throw the resistor into the headlight switch ($2 DRL Fix) so the FOG Led's light up as my full time DRL.

I'm going to see if the in-line resistors from Amazon that I ordered eliminate the warning light and don't get excessively hot. I'll be able to drive the car for an hour or two this weekend and I can easily pull the assembly out to check the temp. I'll give feedback before the end of the weekend if this is a suitable fix. From what I read from 6Speed, the warning light is intermittent depending on the 997.1 model/year, which is really strange.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:51 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed a set this afternoon with no warning light. Different seller but probably the same lights. 05S FYI.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:52 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

FYI The resistors from Amazon work and eliminate the light error!

I used electrical tape on the connections to ensure they don't loosen over time. The resistors do get pretty warm but they're dangling in an open cavity in the front bumper, what's the risk?
Old 11-03-2015, 03:14 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Bryan Kotyk, when I follow the link on Amazon, at the top left it says the product does not fit my 2007 911. Is this the product you bought? (see photo).

I am also confused by the error message on your dash. It says "check front left side light" is it not for the side marker?

thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2015, 05:25 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nevadakid
@Bryan Kotyk, when I follow the link on Amazon, at the top left it says the product does not fit my 2007 911. Is this the product you bought? (see photo).

I am also confused by the error message on your dash. It says "check front left side light" is it not for the side marker?

thanks in advance
My LED side lights and LED DRL's were both setting off warnings on the dash, the side lights I mitigated by going back to incandescent light bulbs, the DRL LED's were mitigated by the resistors.

The resistors say they don't fit your car is because they're not intended for your vehicle, as LED DRL's were not OEM for a 997.1... this is a "custom" application
Old 11-04-2015, 02:26 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

Thanks, I ordered the part. Will share the results.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:14 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

Hello, I bought a set of 2 resistors. I thought I was going to put one on each side of the fog/turn signal cluster. This did not solve my problem. I also had to install on the side markers. I tested all configuration and when I put the resistor on my left cluster and left side marker, the computer only displayed an error for the right side.
I just ordered a new set of 2 in order to complete the installation on the right side.
I did not really know where to put the resistor to avoid damaging other components , because of the heat that it dispenses, I hope when the lights are put back into place, the heat from the resistor won't burn other cables inside.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 PM
am_ver
Intermediate

I installed my lights yesterday. No errors. I didn't install any resisters on my 06 C4. Looking at the install (primarily the rear tail lights), Turbo needs resisters - I'm inclined to think that this applies to the GT3 as well.

nevadakid, you might not need the resistors unless you have turbo/gt3.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

My car is a 2007 C2S. Before I installed the resistors, I had the error on the dash. After installing 1 resistor for the cluster fog/turn signal and 1 for side markers on the left, I only have the error for the right side.
I think I need the resistors.
I have ordered 2 more resistors and will install them on the right side as soon as receive. Will keep you posted.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:21 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

Just installed these LED bumper lights from Fishcake321 on 06 997S and I will confirm the error on the dash.....guess I will need to order the resistors....

I also discover a feature on these LED which I never notices on my OEM lights before; that is, when I pull the door handle, the middle light bar lit up for 20 second then turn itself off....neat. I never notice this happening with my OEM bumper lights
Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,156 Likes on 3,924 Posts

When the door handle illumination occurs is your headlight switch on the dot or set on Home?

Originally Posted by lowbee
Just installed these LED bumper lights from Fishcake321 on 06 997S and I will confirm the error on the dash.....guess I will need to order the resistors....

I also discover a feature on these LED which I never notices on my OEM lights before; that is, when I pull the door handle, the middle light bar lit up for 20 second then turn itself off....neat. I never notice this happening with my OEM bumper lights
Old 08-30-2016, 11:28 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
When the door handle illumination occurs is your headlight switch on the dot or set on Home?
It was on the dot. Hitting the open button on the remote also triggers the front parking light strip

Quick Reply: LED DRL Warning List Issue