Sponsored by:

TPMS issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:34 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS issue

Help! I had an issue with the TPMS warning light coming on and not resetting on my 2008 Cab. I have replaced all the sensors but it will still not reset. If I go into the tire pressure display it only shows the pressures on the passenger side. In case it was an issue with the new sensors i swapped wheels side to side .... and still got the same issue.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? thanks!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:04 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what I did-- ask any competent indie shop to kill the tpms code. Problem solved. It's useless info anyway IMO.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Originally Posted by GBG
Do what I did-- ask any competent indie shop to kill the tpms code. Problem solved. It's useless info anyway IMO.
Can that be done with a programmer?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:32 PM
GBG
Pro

I assume yes but don't know for sure.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:06 PM
pavster
Instructor

What, really, TPMS warnings can be turned off??? Learn something new every day. I am tired of replacing the sensors on my multiple sets of wheels.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 PM
GBG
Pro

Def can be turned off. It's just code that needs to be killed. Dealers are sometimes reluctant to do it because it probably violates one of their SOPs... but any indie shop worth its salt can do it in a few minutes.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM
jmt053
Advanced

Prior to MY 2010 TPMS was an option. MY2010 forward these are mandated for every car sold in the US. Not sure if it can turned off in newer models, but may well be in pre-MY2010. You can thank the whole Ford Explorer / Firestone fiasco in the late 1990s for this fine feature.
I find that mine are spot on for accuracy in my 2011 C4S. I use it to see when the tires have warmed up before I push the car any through turns.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:35 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

yes, I would prefer not to turn it off. I was looking for any clues on where to start troubleshooting
Old 07-17-2015, 02:34 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

TPMS became mandatory in the US for all cars sold after Sept 1, 2007. Yes you can turn them off via Durametric Pro or PIWIS.

The 997 TPMS system is pretty simple, also known as RDK in the Porsche docs from the German Reifen Druck Kontrolle. The control unit is in the frunk on the driver's left side. It's under the plastic covers near the brake booster, you can't miss it with the covers off. You need to remove about six Phillips screws and the frunk weatherstripping to access it. Each wheel well has an antenna under the wheel lining (qty 4 total). And finally each wheel has a sensor (qty 4 total).

Since you swapped wheels side to side you can rule out the wheel sensors. Since two wheels are acting up it's probably not the antennas. But if you are into a DIY, remove both front wheels and the wheel liners then swap antennas left to right to confirm.

The more likely scenario is a bad control unit (RDK CU). For the 997.1 it's part number 997-618-103-06 about $200+ new. Or look to ebay for much less.

So, how do I know all this? I've been researching retrofitting the OEM TPMS into my 2006. I was able to pick up a used set of four antennas and the control unit off eBay for $70 shipped. The hardest part is wiring for my retrofit as the original cables are not installed. If I move forward with the project I'll be running fresh wires along the original harnesses as needed.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:02 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Originally Posted by semicycler
TPMS became mandatory in the US for all cars sold after Sept 1, 2007. Yes you can turn them off via Durametric Pro or PIWIS.

The 997 TPMS system is pretty simple, also known as RDK in the Porsche docs from the German Reifen Druck Kontrolle. The control unit is in the frunk on the driver's left side. It's under the plastic covers near the brake booster, you can't miss it with the covers off. You need to remove about six Phillips screws and the frunk weatherstripping to access it. Each wheel well has an antenna under the wheel lining (qty 4 total). And finally each wheel has a sensor (qty 4 total).

Since you swapped wheels side to side you can rule out the wheel sensors. Since two wheels are acting up it's probably not the antennas. But if you are into a DIY, remove both front wheels and the wheel liners then swap antennas left to right to confirm.

The more likely scenario is a bad control unit (RDK CU). For the 997.1 it's part number 997-618-103-06 about $200+ new. Or look to ebay for much less.

So, how do I know all this? I've been researching retrofitting the OEM TPMS into my 2006. I was able to pick up a used set of four antennas and the control unit off eBay for $70 shipped. The hardest part is wiring for my retrofit as the original cables are not installed. If I move forward with the project I'll be running fresh wires along the original harnesses as needed.
thank you sir! that is the information I was looking for!. very much appreciated. Good luck with your retrofit
Old 07-17-2015, 11:32 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS issue

IIRC the sensors are dormant when they come in the box and need to be woken up by raising the air pressure to something like 60+ psi briefly once installed. Maybe the 2 sensors that are acting up are still hibernating.. Just a thought.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
The hardest part is wiring for my retrofit as the original cables are not installed. If I move forward with the project I'll be running fresh wires along the original harnesses as needed.
Tip: Note that the front roof drains (sliding sun roof) just dump water all over these things behind the wheel liner. The drains run down the A pillar and just terminate up at the top of the unit body above the wheels.... right above the anteneas. I pulled my wheel well liner once to check that the drains were not clogged and saw the antenneas soaked with water. So... make sure your wiring harnesses are OEM with the tight hoods.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scotsskier
Help! I had an issue with the TPMS warning light coming on and not resetting on my 2008 Cab. I have replaced all the sensors but it will still not reset. If I go into the tire pressure display it only shows the pressures on the passenger side. In case it was an issue with the new sensors i swapped wheels side to side .... and still got the same issue.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? thanks!
Sad to say but this is another usless piece of techno junk that Porsche has loaded into their post 996 cars. I just got my 2006 MY PCM manual and could not believe my eyes...185 pages (English language section) of instructions on how to use an obsolete computer system that does nothing of value.

Any smart phone will give you better gps navigation. For $50 I can get wifi hands free use of my cell phone. In 20 seconds I can check the tire pressure with a three dollar gauge that doesn't have $200 sensors that fail. I don't need rain sensors on my windshield, my eyes can see the drops on their own. And if I get a flat tire I can spend $200 and wait a couple of hours for a flat bed or screw around with a can of goop and an air pump. Etc., etc., etc. This is modern life at its worst.

While I enjoy the horsepower of the S package, and I think the body is very very nice...there is much I do not like about the 997 and newer cars.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:46 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

If you just had the new sensors installed and are having the problem, what did you do with the old sensors? There have been examples of folks having issues only because the old sensors where nearby. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Sad to say but this is another usless piece of techno junk that Porsche has loaded into their post 996 cars. I just got my 2006 MY PCM manual and could not believe my eyes...185 pages (English language section) of instructions on how to use an obsolete computer system that does nothing of value.

Any smart phone will give you better gps navigation. For $50 I can get wifi hands free use of my cell phone. In 20 seconds I can check the tire pressure with a three dollar gauge that doesn't have $200 sensors that fail. I don't need rain sensors on my windshield, my eyes can see the drops on their own. And if I get a flat tire I can spend $200 and wait a couple of hours for a flat bed or screw around with a can of goop and an air pump. Etc., etc., etc. This is modern life at its worst.

While I enjoy the horsepower of the S package, and I think the body is very very nice...there is much I do not like about the 997 and newer cars.

AMEN!

I ditched my M3 for a new GTI daily driver for this very reason. BMW runs your life when you're in the car. MY GTI pretty much leaves me alone. Buttons are where they should be, and while it has to have TPMS, it accepts any value I give it and backs off. It has to have modern electronics, but it doesn't act like my damn nanny. Everything is power, but wipers don't have rain sensors, my A/C doesn't kick fans on and off.

In the Porsche, I have my TPMS warnings lit up. Why am I going to even bother with this? I am killing it. I've had flats long before TPMS. TPMS wouldn't have changed my tire for me, or talked to me while I waited for a tow. All TPMS does now is make me feel guilty for driving 6 miles on a tire that is a couple o' pounds low. Cold morning? Oh, good morning TPMS.

I like my 997S; I accept some tech, but the more I can eliminate and the more I can run my own life, well the better I am.

Quick Reply: TPMS issue