Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 997 the best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it was the Cayenne that pushed Porsche to being the standard, at which all other car companies are compared to.

The Cayenne created greater profit than the boxster, it also created more recognition, and was the first full time (all season) vehicle recognized by the world. The Boxster is a seasonal vehicle, which is a big disadvantage, to the Cayenne.

America and China fell in love with the Cayenne, and now,,,, the Macan Turbo is picking up the slack for Porsche.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wc11
One last thing.
Next year or year after, the current batch of 991 owners will say theirs is the best because all models going forward will be turbos.
No more normally aspirated cars and I'm sure shortly after that, no more stick!
How will current turbo owners feel I wonder.
"I have a 911 Turbo" use to mean something. Soon everyone will have one. Will that diminish the claim?

Fun conversation though I wonder why get so angry about it.
I'd say people should re-badge "911" and forget about it.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Uhhh #3... Why the hell are you in a 911 then? ALL 911's fail miserably at a centered point of gravity. The friggin engine is over the rear wheels. 997.2 C2's weight distribution is 38/62. Peace Bruce in Philly, you have a lot of great things to say in the forum but that one doesn't make sense.
Ya, you caught me. I should have stuck to the "best 911" but I was expressing my value system for a "true sports car" as a base to judge. And I always let it be known that my 2000 Boxster S was closer to that ideal than my 2009 C2S.

To be fair to the engineers, they have done an amazing job taming such an unbalanced system but the high power, speeds, and highway systems today make the cost/benefits of rear loading an anachronism.

If I were to buy another 911 today, I would buy the 997.2, the one I already have for the simple reasons of currency (risk of less problems as this is my DD), it has the new DFI engine (I blew two of the last iteration in my Boxster), and the 991 is just farther away from my ideal sports car. Why not an air cooled? Well this is one of both economics and, I am embarrassed to admit this... convenience. The 993s seem way out of wack for pricing and value. The 997.2 is far better to be my daily driver.... again, I am embarrassed about this, but the non-sports car features make it better for me.

If I had the cash-is-no-object and I was looking for a weekend car, I would look to the older all-mechanical 911s. For me, those appear to be really fun (ya, I know, they are rear engined also, but we compromise). Check out the Chris Harris vid at Goodwood where he is skidding around in an old raw 911.... now that is a sports car! Tell me you don't want one after watching this..... this appeals way more to me than watching a Veyron.... a car I could care less about.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 07-08-2015, 10:45 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by StewartD
They might but they would be wrong
The Boxster was the was the biggest seller up until the Cayenne, some six years later.
Boxster was a bigger seller yes but the Cayenne had more margins I think financially at least, the it's the savior
Old 07-08-2015, 11:21 AM
StewartD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what you are saying re the cayenne but without the boxster the company wouldn't have survived long enough to make the cayenne.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:23 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

I understand what you are saying re the cayenne but without the boxster the company wouldn't have survived long enough to make the cayenne.
Point well taken. I agree. You're alright Stewart.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Not a bad article but not very well researched, I would say the boxster was the car that saved Porsche rather than the 996.
If you are talking "saved"... then the story thickens. What saved Porsche was Wiedeking turning the company to be like everyone else..... you could say Toyota saved Porsche as he brought them in and they recommended the drive to single platform and driving out variability in product. The Boxster then, consequently, knocked the ball out of the park. I say the troika of Wiedeking/Toyota/Boxster saved them.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts
Default Is the 997 the best?

This
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Not a bad article but not very well researched, I would say the boxster was the car that saved Porsche rather than the 996.
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Many folks would argue that it was the Cayenne that saved Porsche!
Maybe the Boxster kept Porsche afloat until the Cayenne could save them?

Now the Macan is going to be the best seller... just wait until the base version comes out.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
No, it was the Cayenne that pushed Porsche to being the standard, at which all other car companies are compared to.

The Cayenne created greater profit than the boxster, it also created more recognition, and was the first full time (all season) vehicle recognized by the world. The Boxster is a seasonal vehicle, which is a big disadvantage, to the Cayenne.

America and China fell in love with the Cayenne, and now,,,, the Macan Turbo is picking up the slack for Porsche.
Originally Posted by wc11
Boxster was a bigger seller yes but the Cayenne had more margins I think financially at least, the it's the savior
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
If you are talking "saved"... then the story thickens. What saved Porsche was Wiedeking turning the company to be like everyone else..... you could say Toyota saved Porsche as he brought them in and they recommended the drive to single platform and driving out variability in product. The Boxster then, consequently, knocked the ball out of the park. I say the troika of Wiedeking/Toyota/Boxster saved them.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I should have read page 3 before my last post.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 160 Posts

No sense in doing a base Macan when they sell every single one that's loaded with options. I think all the 15 are already sold and used ones sell for close to new MSRP.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:46 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

loll!! very true

Originally Posted by beers4all
That answer wouldn't have worked out too well in 1999.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lol, it amazes me how many times people can discuss the same topic over and over again, and how many times people will try to justify their choices to themselves.

991.1 guys say the 991.2 is going to suck cause turbo
997 guys say the 991 got fat
996 guys say the 997 is a GT car and is too soft and big
993 guys say the 996 isn't a real porsche
964 guys say the 993 is a decline in quality and no longer true to the porsche brand
911 guys think they have the last real 911

Pick the one you like and STFU!!!!!
Old 07-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

A buddy was over last night with a 2000 M Coupe. We went for a drive and it still felt awesome. He said yeah, but its nothing like your GTS Cab, or your incoming GT4. My reply is that now people are willing to pay extra for the no nonsense, no nanny cars like a GT4. We're willing to pay extra for a car that mimics his 15 yo MCoupe. So the best Porsche, IMO, is something like a Singer. Old styling, air cooled, totally true to original purpose, but with better build quality and electronics than they had at the time. And costs about a $half mill.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:36 AM
subwayjd1
AutoX

Here are my thoughts - life is too short, too tenuous - therefore drive what you like and what you can afford and find optioned as you want - not what someone else likes, or worse, tells you to like. I read, I study and I gather information for sure - but in the end I look for what speaks to me.

All 911s are special cars and for many are only a wish - most likely unattainable to most.

Having said all that - some are better than others. I'm no expert, but I love the 997.2 - style, engineering, and the feel and response I get on back roads, highways and all in between. It's a damm good car. The overall experience is special.

My current 2011 997.2 GTS cab is the greatest car I have driven thus far and I have driven many types and classes of cars for 40 years or so. To me its a personal thing if you care about cars. Hard as it may seem to many here, most folks don't really care - its a means to an end to get from A to B. Spending the money and time on the cars we drive seems crazy to many nonbelievers - who cares. It's a first world issue. Its a choice.

Life is about choices. Drive what you like and appreciate after you research and study. For me the 997.2 GTS never fails to impress me and importantly, I still look for reasons to drive it and take it out - what others think doesn't really bother me. There are better cars out there and I know it and accept that, but for now, I drive what I can afford and love. Tomorrow if I am lucky, is another day of choices and perhaps, another car. It is only when there are no choices, no tomorrows that we lose. So drive and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Is the 997 the best?