Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roads south of "Tail of the Dragon"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roads south of "Tail of the Dragon"?

Hello everyone!

Long story short: I've wanted a 911 my entire life so I posted many threads/posts here and I ultimately bought a Mercedes E550 due to my new job requiring crap tons of driving.

Anyways, my dad and I will be driving the "Tail of the Dragon" this September and continuing south to Florida.

Anyone have any suggestions for "good roads" South of "Tail of the Dragon"? I would ask on the Mercedes forum but.. uh.. they don't know curves like you guys do

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: for what it's worth, no, we are not doing the drive in my Mercedes. Unfortunately, it won't be in a Porsche of any kind. We will be driving a BMW 335. I'm asking your opinions mainly because I have a lot of respect for you guys and i'm sure many of you have driven these roads. That being said, bring it on!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:05 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

North Georgia is excellent... e.g. Route 60. Frankly, I prefer it to the dragon because there is less traffic. You have to do the dragon though just to check the box. Search for the Gauntlet. It's route through North Georgia that includes the highlights... Rt 60 and others. Another idea is to just head for Turner's Corner. Good spot for bfast or lunch and will leave you with a few possibilities on departure.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Moonshiner's 28.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Schnell Bewegen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Wolf Pen Gap road, GA 60, and GA 180. A lot of switchbacks on 180 and little traffic. My favorite would the the Cherohala Skyway just past Deal's Gap (Dragon's Tail). It runs along the top of a mountain ridge and provides good turns with excellent scenery.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:33 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Listen to this guy

Both times I've been on the Dragon, there were so many cruiser-type motorcycles and bicyclists it was rough to enjoy the curves. It's a pretty drive, especially in autum but you'll be there a touch early for all that. Lots of neat places to pull off and see/tour if you're so inclined.

Not convenient, through Neal's Gap area is nice to tour through as well.

Originally Posted by CPMorey
North Georgia is excellent... e.g. Route 60. Frankly, I prefer it to the dragon because there is less traffic. You have to do the dragon though just to check the box. Search for the Gauntlet. It's route through North Georgia that includes the highlights... Rt 60 and others. Another idea is to just head for Turner's Corner. Good spot for bfast or lunch and will leave you with a few possibilities on departure.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

BMW 335 will be a blast, fun car. Personally I can't help you because i've never done the Tail... watching the replies it's on my list too.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:19 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

in sept it ought to be setteling down with the cycles. dont go on a weekend. If you are trying to go from TofD south to fla, Id say go 28 from deals gap cycle hangout east to 74, then go 74 south to near Topton, go east on Wayah rd all the way to Franklin. Youll come onto 64. Take 64 west to Hayesville, then go south on 69 (515 / 76) to Blairsville, at Blairsville take 129 south. All the best roads in that route and very enjoyable. I turn at Turners Corner on 19 and go to Atl but you can go whichever way south you want, its pretty much over from there south.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:21 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

heres some of the routes;
PS if you want answers, ask a Mercedes man

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...iving-run.html

http://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-s...nksgiving.html

http://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-s...000-words.html

Last edited by OKB; 07-09-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Roads south of "Tail of the Dragon"?