Camber Setting Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 AM
JAZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber Setting Question

Hi all,

Am new at this forum and couldn't find the info I am looking for (or I didn't manage to come across it while searching).

I just recently installed a set of RW5 Wheels by Roderick Wheels for my 09 997.2 PDK Carrera with PASM option.

They are sized 19 X 8.5 (Offset 45mm) Front and 19 X 11 (Offset 52mm) Rear.

I am getting some rubbing issues in the rear, and currently running 305/30R19 tires. I am wondering if anyone could help shed some light as to what camber setting will run best for this set up and will have negative impact on handling or tire.

At the current moment I have gotten the shop to get maximum negative camber for the rear at -2.3 and the fronts set at -1.

Please advice if this will be fine or could someone share what settings will be best for Camber and Toe.

OR

Should I consider using 295s instead of 305s?

Thank You in advance !!

Cheers

Jaz
Old 06-20-2015, 12:06 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Anything over -2.0 in the rear is pushing it for street tires. And with the rear so much more negative than the front you are also increasing understeer even more.

I have a 997.1 C2S narrow body with 19x11 ET 51 in the rear and 305/30R19 tires. Rear camber currently is -1.5 and no rubbing. I'm also lowered a bit on coilovers. Are you at stock height? Are you also sure the rear width is 11" and not 11.5" or 12"?
Old 06-20-2015, 12:19 PM
JAZ
Track Day

Semicycler:

Am currently on stock suspension and at stock height. I am quite positive that the wheels are 19X11 in the rear, unless they have shipped them wrong. The wheels are suppose to fit perfectly and for some reason I am not getting much luck with it.

Will there be other factors that might cause this ? (such as toe settings).

I will try to have the wheels taken off on monday again to double check that they are 19 X 11 and Offset 52mm. (Just to be 200% sure).

Thanks

JAZ
Old 06-20-2015, 12:36 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Rear toe should be close to zero to slightly out (spec is 10' +/-5' or in degrees .08 to .25). It shouldn't affect rubbing, just tire wear over time. Silly question, any spacers installed?
Old 06-20-2015, 12:44 PM
JAZ
Track Day

Nope, no spacers are installed, hence why I am so confused as to why it didn't just fit perfectly.

I will try to attach a pic.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:48 PM
JAZ
Track Day

Here is another pic of the left rear.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I'd say by the looks and the fact that it's running that you have the wrong offsets. Don't mess with the camber. That's a bandaid that will have other impacts like acceleration, braking and tire wear.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:59 PM
JAZ
Track Day

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I'd say by the looks and the fact that it's running that you have the wrong offsets. Don't mess with the camber. That's a bandaid that will have other impacts like acceleration, braking and tire wear.
Thanks for advice. I guess my next step is to remove the wheels from the car to physically check the offsets of the wheel to make sure it is the correct offset.

I will update and again thanks for awesome help here.

Cheers
JT
Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

I agree with Hella-Buggin' that the offsets look wrong.... Especially as you stated that no offset spacers are installed.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 PM
JAZ
Track Day

Originally Posted by LC MotorSports
I agree with Hella-Buggin' that the offsets look wrong.... Especially as you stated that no offset spacers are installed.
Thanks. I think I will have to take them off and check the offsets again. Will update when I have them checked out.

Cheers
JAZ
Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Carrera or Carrera S car? If not a Carrera 4 or 4S or Turbo or GTS or GT3RS your rear wheels are offset for the wider rear body of those cars.

For track I never ran over -2 rear camber and actually ended up running -1.7 rear camber.

For street you don't want to go over -1.5 rear camber seriously do not go over that and keep rear toe at no more than 1.5mm toe in per side?

Originally Posted by JAZ
Hi all,

Am new at this forum and couldn't find the info I am looking for (or I didn't manage to come across it while searching).

I just recently installed a set of RW5 Wheels by Roderick Wheels for my 09 997.2 PDK Carrera with PASM option.

They are sized 19 X 8.5 (Offset 45mm) Front and 19 X 11 (Offset 52mm) Rear.

I am getting some rubbing issues in the rear, and currently running 305/30R19 tires. I am wondering if anyone could help shed some light as to what camber setting will run best for this set up and will have negative impact on handling or tire.

At the current moment I have gotten the shop to get maximum negative camber for the rear at -2.3 and the fronts set at -1.

Please advice if this will be fine or could someone share what settings will be best for Camber and Toe.

OR

Should I consider using 295s instead of 305s?

Thank You in advance !!

Cheers

Jaz
Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 PM
JAZ
Track Day

Originally Posted by mdrums
Carrera or Carrera S car? If not a Carrera 4 or 4S or Turbo or GTS or GT3RS your rear wheels are offset for the wider rear body of those cars. For track I never ran over -2 rear camber and actually ended up running -1.7 rear camber. For street you don't want to go over -1.5 rear camber seriously do not go over that and keep rear toe at no more than 1.5mm toe in per side?
Noted. Will probably have time today to get the car out for the wheels to be double checked if the offsets are correct. Will update and thanks for advice.

Thanks
JAZ
Old 06-22-2015, 10:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Jaz...I can tell you the offsets are wrong. They are pushed out PAST the fender by a lot...camber will not and is not designed to fix this problem.

My car is a Carrera GTS....which is the wide body work car...like the GT3RS, Turbo, Carrera 4 and 4S. My stock rear wheels are 11x19 et51. Your wheels are the same specs by 1mm but on a narrow body 997 which the Carrera, Carrera S and GT3 are narrow body cars. Your et (offset) should be around 58-63et.
You need different wheels....I hope this helps you understand. Oh and welcome to reenlist..lots of knowledgable and cool people here.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The stock offset for a 997.2 is 67mm and the normal tire width is 295. With the 52mm offset on your wheel you are getting the same offset as if you had added a 15mm spacer to an OEM wheel, plus the extra 10mm width of the tire gets split evenly on both sides giving you an additional 5mm. Effectively this makes it just like you were wearing a stock narrow-body wheel/tire with a 20mm spacer (from the tire's offset point of view). A 20mm offset is generally considered too much offset and that could explain the rubbing by itself.

However, visually speaking I don't see the -2.5 negative camber, they look nearly zero or even positive to me (especially on the left tire photo) but that can be hard to tell in a photo. As a quick check you can use a level placed against the face of the tire to tell if they have actually given you negative camber or not. If you have to move the top of the level away from the tire to get the level to read... well "level"... then you have at least some negative camber. If the level reads level or you have to pull the bottom away to get a level reading then you do not have negative camber. It would be worth the quick check.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:35 PM
JAZ
Track Day

Originally Posted by mdrums
Jaz...I can tell you the offsets are wrong. They are pushed out PAST the fender by a lot...camber will not and is not designed to fix this problem. My car is a Carrera GTS....which is the wide body work car...like the GT3RS, Turbo, Carrera 4 and 4S. My stock rear wheels are 11x19 et51. Your wheels are the same specs by 1mm but on a narrow body 997 which the Carrera, Carrera S and GT3 are narrow body cars. Your et (offset) should be around 58-63et. You need different wheels....I hope this helps you understand. Oh and welcome to reenlist..lots of knowledgable and cool people here.
Again Many thanks. Really appreciate the help and information. Will look into new wheels and hope it all works.

Yes. Can't agree more that people have been awesome in this forum.

Cheers
JAZ

Quick Reply: Camber Setting Question