Sponsored by:

DIY - STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL AND PADDLESHIFTER INSTALLATION

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 04:57 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY - STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL AND PADDLESHIFTER INSTALLATION

Ok I have put together a DIY video on my experience-the lighting has some issues since I did it myself in my garage at night. I would like to credit Sandwedge, Sooner, Pavster, workhurts and Domer911 for their assistance and guidance.

This video is for a 2009 C4S PDK. The connections were different than some other videos out there which is why I put this one together. The video has suggestions embedded in it, and if they disappear too quickly, just pause the video so you can read the notes. You don’t need to read this, but in case you wanted to print out, here you go.

Step 1: Remove current steering wheel
  • Disconnect Negative Battery Terminal: Wait at least 20 minutes before starting your project. I had a martini and gathered my tools…this seemed a good way to use the time. NOTE: I did not video this so make sure you do this BEFORE working on the airbag.
  • Remove Airbag: Use 4mm or similar tool and insert in hole in bottom of steering wheel to release the airbag for removal. Mine didn’t spring out too far as you will see. When you pull airbag from wheel you will see 3 connections.
  • Disconnect Airbag: The two colored connections require that you use a small implement to lift up the orange locking tab to release the connection. You will see me do this in the video. Also, there is a push-on electrical connector you will need to disconnect.
  • Remove Steering Wheel Bolt: Use 55 torx to loosen bolt. Once loose, you must disconnect the other electrical connector in the back of the airbag well. I did this before loosening the bolt, but you can do it either before or after. DO NOT REMOVE WHEEL YET!
  • MARK STEERING WHEEL SPINDLE: This was the key step in installing the new wheel in the right spot. When you remove the bolt, you will see a slot at dead center on the steering wheel. Use a marker and mark the position next to this slot on the spindle. (When you remove the wheel, the mark will show you where to line up the slot on the new wheel with the spindle to get the wheel to dead center on the spindle). Gently pull off steering wheel.

Step 2: Install new paddleshifter steering wheel
  • Line up the slot with the mark on the spindle: Wiggle the wheel until it seats EXACTLY lining up these marks. It took me a couple of tries to get it just right. Your patience will be rewarded here since you will have to make no post-installation adjustments if you get the marks lined up perfectly.
  • Replace steering wheel retaining bolt with 55 torx. Tighten to just over hand tight. Then use your torque wrench to tighten to 37ftlbs. I had to hold my leg against the wheel to help prevent too much pressure on the steering wheel lock.
  • Insert connector in back of airbag well into its slot: This is self explanatory.
  • Connect Airbag to steering wheel: They are color coded so match up the colors. Push down on orange locking tabs to secure the connectors. Push the third female electrical connector on its male receiver.
  • LINE UP THE AIRBAG SO THAT THE FLAT CORD IS IN ITS SLOT. SEE HIGHLIGHT IN THE VIDEO. This is pretty easy to do, but please make sure it is in there. If it is, then the airbag will easily click into place as you gently push it in as if you were pushing the horn.
  • When it clicks in place, you are almost done: Now, reconnect the battery. Have another martini…you’re done.

In my case, I did not have any fault codes, but others have reported that if you do, it is normal. They will go away after about 5 minutes of driving. Let me know if you have any changes or suggestions to these instructions or the video.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice! much easier to do than on the Audi
Old 06-09-2015, 11:28 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Great video! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2015, 11:26 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the video!! I got the paddle shifter wheel from Suncoast, and followed everything. I disconnected the battery, waited about 20 mins, then followed all directions.

Everything seemed to work ok when I reconnected. Got several warning lights, including an airbag light. The warning lights went away after a few blocks of driving, but the airbag light is still on.

Any ideas? The battery was disconnected 20 mins prior to the procedure, and all connections were done properly. I'm tempted to take it apart again, but I believe the airbag light has to be reset by the dealer. Is this correct?
Old 10-03-2015, 01:10 PM
F308gt4
Racer

I took it apart again last night, and noticed that one of the connections on the airbag did not have the orange locking clip fully seated. Maybe this resulted in a not perfect connection, which set off the airbag light?

Anyway, I guess I will have to get a dealer to reset the light. I wonder if an independent like GMG motors will be able to reset it? I will give them a call on Monday to see if they can do it, otherwise it's off to the dealer.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:56 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

You may be able to reset the light with a Durametric tool.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 PM
secondshot
Racer

Not sure. I didn't get any warning lights after powering back up. I would suggest taking it to dealer for reset although durametric may work , the dealer would be first choice.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 259 Posts

Durametric will be able to reset it. And yes, the orange clip not being connected triggered the airbag light.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:34 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Took it to GMG motors and they reset the light. So I'm good to go now.

Thanks again for the DIY! Hope others can learn from my experience- do not rush it, and check and double-check all of your connections before putting it back together and connecting the power.

Here's the obligatory post-install pic:

Name:  20151003_161438.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  162.6 KB
Old 10-05-2015, 04:46 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Name:  IMG_0146_zpslchvq38h.jpg
Views: 2320
Size:  191.2 KB

Paddle club! - It was the first thing I did when I got my 997.2 4s last year
Old 12-29-2015, 05:50 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Secondshot: Thanks for posting this DIY! I followed your instructions and video exactly & successfully made the swap today!

However, I was confused on one step, so I'm adding this note with a photo, to hopefully help other future DIYers in case they run into this. Regarding the step where you remove the airbag by pushing up into the hole at the bottom of the steering wheel with the 4mm allen wrench, I had a hard time finding the hole because on my steering wheel, that hole was not visible. It was covered by a thin layer of the black plastic, so I had to punch through the plastic first to find the hole. Here is a photo I took of the 4mm allen wrench inserted into the hole, which illustrates its exact location on the wheel:

Insert Allen wrench here (at 6 o'clock position of wheel), pushing through thin layer of black plastic to access the spring, which unlocks & releases the airbag.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:10 PM
secondshot
Racer

Congratulations. And good add to the thread.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:20 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Any idea how to release the air bag my 4mm Allen key slid right up the hole with a little bit of pressure and I can find any Allen key to turn ?
Old 10-04-2023, 11:41 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
Any idea how to release the air bag my 4mm Allen key slid right up the hole with a little bit of pressure and I can find any Allen key to turn ?

Hi, inside the hole is a spring steel bar, about 3-4mm in dia. All you need to do is push the bar with the end of the key, when you push it in enough, the airbag will pop up.

Push up with key, magic happens.

Last edited by BLU997; 10-04-2023 at 11:53 AM. Reason: its the vibe man.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:20 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks finally managed it so no Allen key !

Quick Reply: DIY - STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL AND PADDLESHIFTER INSTALLATION