997.2 Ignition Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 08:12 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
OK, answer off another forum:

the 997 key blades are only matched to the door locks. The ignition switch is generic and uses the transponder chip to allow vehicle start.
Thanks for this important clarification. I was thinking that the replacement lock must to be "matched" by the dealer in order to "mechanically" work with a particular key (aside from the transponder). Now I understand that the engraved keys are only for use with the door lock (with 997s should be just one, as it doesn't have key lock in passenger's door). Good to know this little detail certainly.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:08 PM
iain3915
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful contributions to this thread - I replaced the switch in my 987.2 today.

Regarding part numbers, my 987.2 was fitted with 99761815904. I replaced it with 99761815903 (from a breaker) and all seems to work fine.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:12 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatsixS
Thanks for this important clarification. I was thinking that the replacement lock must to be "matched" by the dealer in order to "mechanically" work with a particular key (aside from the transponder). Now I understand that the engraved keys are only for use with the door lock (with 997s should be just one, as it doesn't have key lock in passenger's door). Good to know this little detail certainly.
If I replaced my switch can I still use my original key fob? I can imagine a new key fob is quite pricey.

Last edited by bcgreen; 08-26-2022 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:36 AM
rx7turbo2
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needed to tackle this job tonight.

Background - 2009 C2S PDK 70k miles. I managed to kill the battery. Used the small post in the fuse box to apply voltage and pop the frunk to access the battery. No issues. However after that I could no longer remove the key from the ignition as has been described in this thread. Used the small wire hook in the cover of the fuse box to manually release the key. Ordered new ignition switch.

The replacement of the ignition switch was very straightforward thanks to this thread! I managed it in less than 10min using the tools in the photo. This job is made SIGNIFICANTLY easier if you can cut the zip tie safely. Once cut the wiring loom is long enough to reach out the back of the lower dash where there's plenty of room to get two hands on the ignition switch and connector. Once I got the old switch out following the directions in this thread, I used a long, thin, non-serrated slicing knife to cut the zip tie. For me the bulky part of the zip tie was on top allowing me to very carefuly go through the ignition hole keeping the knife parallel to the wiring loom and sniping off the head of the zip tie. I used the small hook tool to pull and hold the new ignition switch into place and hold it there while I screwed the collar in place to secure the new switch. Whether you use a knife or screw driver or snipers somehow, cutting that ziptie is key. Just have to be very careful to only cut the ziptie. If you wanted its possible to use a new ziptie to re-secure that length of loom but honestly I didn't see the need.

Hope that helps someone.

Last edited by rx7turbo2; 08-26-2022 at 12:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Slow Guy (09-10-2023)
Old 08-26-2022, 10:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,760 Likes on 4,301 Posts

Originally Posted by evo9
2010 C2S 6MT, 48K miles

I've had a weird engine stall/no-start issue happen to me twice that I think may be ignition switch related

Symptom:
First-time: Start car after it was in garage for 1-week, no problem. Drive for ~ 1 hour, then stop at grocery store. Come back out, start car, drive 50ft and engine died (thought I may have stalled it). Attempt to restart engine (turn key from "on" to "start"), nothing. No starter engagement, nothing. With key in ignition switch, push car to parking spot, and remove key. After 30sec of cussing. Thought I'd try to start it one more time before calling flat-bed. BAM, engine starts normally (starts instantly, no slow start like when battery is going bad) and I drive back home.
Second-time: Similar scenario. Car starts fine after sitting for 1-week. Drive for 1-hour and stop for lunch. Come back out, start car, drive 50ft and engine dies. Attempt to re-start engine by turning key from "on" to "start" Nothing! Turn key to "off", the turn to "start", and engine starts normally. Very disconcerting.

I think I'll try replacing ignition switch myself first, to see if it resolves above issue, before taking it to my Indie. I wont be able to get to it until mid-Jan-2020, but I'll post an update back here when I'm done.

W
Your ignition switch was working exactly as it should in what you described here. If the car stalls you have to turn it all the way to the left before you can reinitiate a restart.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:48 AM
evo9
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Petza914
Thank you for your response. In my above post, what I was attempting to convey is that engine died for no apparent reason.

It was like ignition was turned to 'off' without me actually turning the key to 'off'. My assumption at time was that ignition-switch internally was changing from 'on'(ignition circuit energized) to 'off'(ignition circuit de-energized) in error. Once I replaced the ignition switch, these phantom 'engine died / ignition de-energized) events stopped occurring.

Regards,

Evo9
Old 08-26-2022, 12:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evo9
Petza914
Thank you for your response. In my above post, what I was attempting to convey is that engine died for no apparent reason.

It was like ignition was turned to 'off' without me actually turning the key to 'off'. My assumption at time was that ignition-switch internally was changing from 'on'(ignition circuit energized) to 'off'(ignition circuit de-energized) in error. Once I replaced the ignition switch, these phantom 'engine died / ignition de-energized) events stopped occurring.

Regards,

Evo9
Great. I wasn't sure since you had said you may have stalled it and then seemed more concerned that it wouldn't restart with just a turn of the key.

I have an issue I'm trying to sort out where I've shorted something and my starter is spinning whenever I have the battery connected to the car, which is why I found this thread as I'm likely going to remove mine to inspect it as well, and probably replace it. The part I've ordered is the 997....07 version

Glad that fixed your issue.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:19 PM
snowtx1
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have to disconnect the battery when you replace the switch? I'm afraid that it mess up my PCCM+.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:57 AM
mig.
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I just did the job. My issue is that I’d turn the key and the steering lock would release but 30% of the time nothing more would happen. Wiggle, jiggle, twist the wheel for a while and then the rest of the dash light would come on and it would start. Annoying and hopefully a new switch solves that. The date code on the old one was 2017.

Yes you do have to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY so the key stays locked in the ignition as you get it into position to screw the locking ring on. If the key falls out you almost need to start from scratch (ask me how I know). Not to mention the footwell light burning your hand in the limited space you have if you don’t.

Right I’m off to do the same job on my 996 - part is 1/25th the price and 25x more painful.

Old 07-19-2024, 07:28 AM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had the key stuck issue also. Replaced battery, key fob battery and new ignition switch and STILL have the issue. Any ideas????????????????????
Old 07-27-2024, 06:55 PM
Mountian Roads
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Idoktr
I have had the key stuck issue also. Replaced battery, key fob battery and new ignition switch and STILL have the issue. Any ideas????????????????????
Having the key stuck issue in my 997.2 also. My son replaced the ignition switch today and it didn’t fix the problem. A fault warning comes up on my center RPM gauge that says “Please put the vehicle in park to remove your key”. Seems like I read where others in this thread had the same message.
Common sense tells me it’s something to do with the shift linkage or something to do with the transmission.
Will take it to my indy soon and will follow up with the diagnosis.
Looks like it’s time to spend some cash.
Old 07-27-2024, 07:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mountian Roads
Having the key stuck issue in my 997.2 also. My son replaced the ignition switch today and it didn’t fix the problem. A fault warning comes up on my center RPM gauge that says “Please put the vehicle in park to remove your key”. Seems like I read where others in this thread had the same message.
Common sense tells me it’s something to do with the shift linkage or something to do with the transmission.
Correct, there's a sensor in the shifter assembly so the car knows when it's in park. If wiggling the shifter around doesn't work at.leat temporarily, you'll need to replace it.
Old 07-27-2024, 10:26 PM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Any suggestion for the same issue with manual transmission??????????????????
Old 08-23-2024, 11:47 AM
Mountian Roads
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountian Roads
My Indy replaced the PDK shift lever assembly and that fixed the problem. $1250 for parts, $900 labor.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Ignition Switch Replacement