Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Warranty: which dealership did you purchase yours from?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:52 AM
hankcah
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket Warranty: which dealership did you purchase yours from?

I'm in the market for a 997, and leaning towards Fidelity Warranty, but still open to suggestions.

Basically, I don't want to be stuck with a 911 and NOT be eligible for an aftermarket warranty. Problem is, I'm searching far and wide for the right 911 so it's becoming rather tedious to call and tell them I'd like to purchase a warranty, but that the car isn't at their dealership, and if they can inspect it.....in order to buy the warranty from them. (Fidelity isn't the most helpful, in finding dealerships that offer their warranties.)

I've been quoted one for $2400 (3yr/36k miles) and another for $4k (2yr/24k miles). So of course I'm shopping around!

FYI the mileage range would be between 55k - 80. I'd be fine with a 90k mile Porsche if it can be warrantied for 3 years at a reasonable price.

So I'm asking you Rennlist, how many miles were on your 911, which warranty company, and how much did you pay?

Thank you so much!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 AM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These are highly negotiable. I have the Fidelity but mostly because I have a low mileage car and the other companies lowest mileage tier was 25k. I shopped around and got the best deal from a VW dealer. It was a third less than through the Porsche dealer price.

Highly recommend you search this site for the other threads. You should get an exclusionary policy vs inclusionary. That means it has a list of things that are excluded. The rest (not listed) are covered. This is harder to deny coverage. Their Platinum is like this.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:12 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Fidelity. Platinum. I got it from a Porsche dealer near me, who was cheaper then the non-Porsche dealers. Its on the past forums that you should also get a dealer familiar with the warranty policy (i.e. Fidelity) since that will help with any claims.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wardrive
Fidelity. Platinum. I got it from a Porsche dealer near me, who was cheaper then the non-Porsche dealers. Its on the past forums that you should also get a dealer familiar with the warranty policy (i.e. Fidelity) since that will help with any claims.
Who is the Porsche dealer in NJ that you purchased the warranty policy from?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 PM
hankcah
Intermediate

Originally Posted by secondshot
These are highly negotiable. I have the Fidelity but mostly because I have a low mileage car and the other companies lowest mileage tier was 25k. I shopped around and got the best deal from a VW dealer. It was a third less than through the Porsche dealer price.

Highly recommend you search this site for the other threads. You should get an exclusionary policy vs inclusionary. That means it has a list of things that are excluded. The rest (not listed) are covered. This is harder to deny coverage. Their Platinum is like this.
Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try a few VW dealerships. (which dealership did you get yours from?) It would be nice to have a warranty and an extra custom clause added to the contact stating IMS Bearing, not just "bearings". Porsche quoted me the highest for fidelity. Not to mention their overall pricing for their cars were similar to CarMax's. So I wouldn't want to even begin negotiating there.

I contacted Wanted and Endurance warranty companies. Wanted was on the cheaper end BUT they 100% did NOT cover the IMS issue, and new all about it. $2900 - 4yr/60k miles. (Yes 60k) So maybe I can just do the 3 year for $2k and then install the LN IMS Retrokit, as it's one of my main concerns. (Damn IMS scaring the crap out of everyone.)

Endurance Warranty was more expensive at $4100 for 3/yrs, but could be made in payments for 1.5 years.

Should I be concerned with warranty contracts that just state "bearings / engine bearings / transmission bearings" ?? Or just look at the exclusions, as it has to be stated about what is Not covered.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not purchased yet, but AAA quotes some decent prices. I will probably go with them in the next month or so. My P dealer does not sell ANY extended warranty policies, but the Service Manager said that AAA paid well for cars he has seen in his shop.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:01 PM
hankcah
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
I have not purchased yet, but AAA quotes some decent prices. I will probably go with them in the next month or so. My P dealer does not sell ANY extended warranty policies, but the Service Manager said that AAA paid well for cars he has seen in his shop.
I'll consider them as well. CarMax is another one to consider as they have $2400 for UP TO - 5yr/ 75k miles, but that will vary per each car. But of course another caveat is you have to purchase the 911 from CarMax. So that explains the "deal" on the warranty.

CarMax 911s start around 39k while private party can be between 33-35 for the same car. I wish Carmax offered warranty for any car, within reason.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:37 PM
ekblanks
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a 5 year / 60k miles warranty through fidelity. My P dealer is in North Jersey (Jack Daniels). I also have a buddy who got his fidelity through Town Porsche. We were quoted about the same give or take a couple hundred. $4600 for a 4year/60k miles coverage (may be called platinum, I don't recall).

This was for a 07 997S, with 19k miles.
and the other quote was an 2010 997.2 4S with 10k miles.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:38 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I wish Carmax offered warranty for any car, within reason.
Not anymore, blame Doug Demuro for that.....
Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 PM
hankcah
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ekblanks
I went with a 5 year / 60k miles warranty through fidelity. My P dealer is in North Jersey (Jack Daniels). I also have a buddy who got his fidelity through Town Porsche. We were quoted about the same give or take a couple hundred. $4600 for a 4year/60k miles coverage (may be called platinum, I don't recall).

This was for a 07 997S, with 19k miles.
and the other quote was an 2010 997.2 4S with 10k miles.
Awesome, thank you very much. Wish most of the Rennlist-Search posts were as clear as this.

Seems a bit much compared to other companies. I could get the IMS bearing replaced for $800-$1k and then get a shorter warranty span. Or take a risk with a $2400 warranty. Becasue what does Fidelity have compared to others. Maybe I'm just overthinking everything.

But thanks again for the details!
Old 05-07-2015, 03:54 PM
mleddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fidelity Platinum. I bought it from Honda of Princeton. Got a quote from my dealership for $4662 for 7yr/70,000. When I showed them the price from Honda they dropped their price to $4000. Still $600 above what I paid. 2012 911 4GTS with 9600 miles about a year ago.

Last edited by mleddy; 05-07-2015 at 03:58 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

previously mentioned....
quoted in January of 2015....AAA 5 year-75,000 mile plan for 2012 997.2 S with 18,000 on the odometer at the time=$4289.00. 5 year 100,000 miles- same car same plan (exclusionary) same time $4997.00 Quote was good at the time for a couple of weeks. Again, I did not purchase at the time.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Call Circle Porsche, Long Beach CA, ask for Elliot Dawson about extended warranty on your new Porsche. I got the best quote from him for my 2008 997TT. Fidelity Platinum for 6 years/ 60k miles paid $2500. Keep in mind the higher the mileage the price will go up, mine has less than 10k on the odometer when purchased last December.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why you guys are going with a third party when Porsche came out with their own extended manufacturer warranty last month. I will be purchasing mine next Monday directly through Porsche from a Porsche dealer.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:58 PM
hankcah
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Supermode
I don't know why you guys are going with a third party when Porsche came out with their own extended manufacturer warranty last month. I will be purchasing mine next Monday directly through Porsche from a Porsche dealer.
And such leaving everyone with so many questions but yet another opportunity!! Seems to be the norm. The good news is the P-Warranty can be for a period of 12 months or 24 months (on request) and gives you access to a comprehensive range of Porsche services.

But does one have to adhere strictly to the Maintenance Intervals? Not that one wouldn't but we all know a service internal for filters, oil change, and inspection for over $1k is overkill. So I'm curious of the terms on that. Not to mention you have to be registered on the car for 90 days, before it takes effect.

Brb, have to make another phone call!

http://www.porsche.com/china/en/acce...antyextension/

You will have to let us know the details of the transaction!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Warranty: which dealership did you purchase yours from?