Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on Hi Energy Coils

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:50 AM
papafoxtrot
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on Hi Energy Coils

It's time to do plugs on my 2007 Carrera 4S. I was going to replace the coils at the same time, not for any problems, but basically because I'm ****, . Then I started thinking about upgrading the coils at the same time. The price jump between OEM replacements and the couple HE coil vendors I found are substantial, but I'm willing to pay the "freight" if there's a reasonable payback in performance, longevity, etc. Is there anybody out there that's installed any flavor of the HE coils, and do you feel they were worth the sum spent.

As a datapoint, the car is mostly stock, with only a Fabspeed CAI in the performance mods category and used mainly as a weekend fun car with occasional runs to work and spirited road trips. I do plan on putting in a performance exhaust system (probably at the same time) but haven't made a final decision on that just yet.

TIA as any input is appreciated.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:55 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock coils can generate in excess of 30,000 volts, which is more than sufficient to ignite the air/fuel mixture in a typical (i.e. stock) setup. Unless you are adding more fuel, more compression, or adding forced induction your stock coils (new or in good working order) will be more than sufficient. I doubt you would see any performance improvement on a basically stock setup.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on Hi Energy Coils