Possible ipod solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Jdmproducer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible ipod solution

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPOD-3-5MM-1...c2a052&vxp=mtr

Got off the phone with this guy and he's certain this will work on my 2006 Navi bose system. Are you serious???? Is it this simple? Has anyone tried this. Thought I would ask before purchasing
Old 04-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Not sure, but the misspellings and other 'made in china' stuff on that page would make me walk away quite quickly.

It's a Porsche. You have fiber optics. Don't screw this up. There are products out there to allow integration, and if you want fully integrated (a la Dension) we can assist. There are others (TranzItBlu, we stock that too) that connect to your antenna port for Bluetooth.

Just depends what features you are trying to incorporate, and which head unit you have (PCM 2.1 likely).

Email me anytime for more info: eric@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-22-2015, 11:49 AM
shardul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

connector seems different on the PCM. maybe if you repin the connector on the left in the picture it could work

Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

The cheap solutions like this one plug into the CD changer port on the back of a radio turning it into a 3.5mm AUX input only. It is not a true iPod connection, only audio. There is no power or charging capabilities, no song list, no display info, no song control on the head unit (must all be done on the portable device), etc. All it does is allow you to pump audio through the 3.5mm jack into the head unit using power/battery and controls on the remote audio device. Quick google searching shows it should work with a CDR-220 head unit (996 series?). Try this link for example: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ecker-cdr-220/

In concept it could work with a 997 PCM head unit too, provided the CD changer input on the back of the head unit is analog, not optical (MOST bus). I don't know the answer here. If it's analog you need to match both the connector and pinout for the CD changer input on the rear of the head unit to the cable. You might need to move some pins if there is a connector already plugged into that spot. If it's optical then you are sunk and would need an expensive converter defeating the whole purpose of this solution. But again if you can get it to work it's not a true iPod solution, only a cheap audio input solution.

If you do try it, post your results here or even a full blown DIY. It definitely has limited functionality but maybe that's all you want.

Quick Reply: Possible ipod solution