Sponsored by:

997 GTS price range?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
I'm really surprised that it's not sold, even at $73K, (looks like he raised it again) it's a good buy. I believe he already got a PPI for it or maybe that was another GTS. It includes all the original parts, personally I would leave it alone, have the parts there in the garage if needed.
When I said interesting, I meant interesting.

Seller says a bunch of inconsistent things in the span of a two month thread. Selling car to fund business, then selling car to pay down mortgage. From the pics the car looks more like what I'd expect someone to do to a Civic, not a GTS. First he says no to the stock parts, then he eventually says yes, and during this time it looks like the price is kinda bouncing around too...

It looks "cool" but I would not be surprised if the quality of the work isn't up to snuff, and I sure wouldn't want to put another $5k of labor and work into the car to return it to stock.

I like customized looking cars, but I'm not surprised for a second that it isn't selling quickly... and the asking price imho is fine, but just shows that a bone stock car w/less than half the mileage is $80k+.

Lots of references to cars selling at "x" price or "y" price means little when looking at the lower end of the range, since by definition the lower end is priced there for a reason. I looked at a 997.2 C2S that on the surface, looked great. Upon further digging it had structural damage, was repaired shoddily (had the car looked at) and a bunch of unrepaired issued. It was priced about $12k lower than the "going rate" in the market. Sure, someone probably bought it...

I feel that these pricing threads are a bit silly. You can figure out the price by looking at cars (actually looking at them, in person) and getting them checked out, and then negotiating.

Outliers in pricing don't help anyone, in my view, since you need to know the details.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 AM
jack preston
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD

Lots of references to cars selling at "x" price or "y" price means little when looking at the lower end of the range, since by definition the lower end is priced there for a reason. I looked at a 997.2 C2S that on the surface, looked great. Upon further digging it had structural damage, was repaired shoddily (had the car looked at) and a bunch of unrepaired issued. It was priced about $12k lower than the "going rate" in the market. Sure, someone probably bought it...

I feel that these pricing threads are a bit silly. You can figure out the price by looking at cars (actually looking at them, in person) and getting them checked out, and then negotiating.

Outliers in pricing don't help anyone, in my view, since you need to know the details.
could not have said it better myself.
people always tend to make the lower end of the spectrum the norm when it comes to pricing when in fact its not.
you would have to take the average sale of at least 10 cars IMO to get a true average selling price, thats of corse with all cars being equal in condition, mileage and options.
its also very true that usually the ones priced in the low part of the spectrum are there for good reason .

cheers jack
Old 04-22-2015, 12:42 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seller says a bunch of inconsistent things in the span of a two month thread. Selling car to fund business, then selling car to pay down mortgage. From the pics the car looks more like what I'd expect someone to do to a Civic, not a GTS. First he says no to the stock parts, then he eventually says yes, and during this time it looks like the price is kinda bouncing around too...

It looks "cool" but I would not be surprised if the quality of the work isn't up to snuff, and I sure wouldn't want to put another $5k of labor and work into the car to return it to stock.

I like customized looking cars, but I'm not surprised for a second that it isn't selling quickly... and the asking price imho is fine, but just shows that a bone stock car w/less than half the mileage is $80k+.

I agree. These threads are usually asked and answered by bottom feeders looking to score a deal on a car that they are stretched to actually buy. There is no way that a clean, low mileage, unmolested and well maintained GTS is going to be selling at some of these lowball numbers being thrown around here. You get what you pay for in life and particularly when buying a used car. Personally, I won't even continue a conversation and waste any more of my time with someone who first asks if I'll take a lower number without even looking at the car.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
You get what you pay for in life and particularly when buying a used car. Personally, I won't even continue a conversation and waste any more of my time with someone who first asks if I'll take a lower number without even looking at the car.
I generally agree with your statement but why would you close the door to someone who wants to understand if the pricing is firm? Seems like you believe that asking price is non negotiable. Personally, if someone prices a car 10 to 15 percent above market, I usually ask how the asking price was determined and if there is wiggle room. If the asking price then makes sense to me, then I go forward. If it does not, it is in the best interest of both parties to end the discussion as it will be a waste of time. And...if the asking price is reasonable to what I am seeing as market pricing, then I leave the price haggling to the end. A good deal is when buyer and seller believes that they left something on the table.

Back to the OP question, I am thinking upper $70s to $80K if perfect, with a CPO.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:16 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I agree. These threads are usually asked and answered by bottom feeders looking to score a deal on a car that they are stretched to actually buy.
This is a very overgeneralized statement, not logically founded, easily contestable and probably offensive to users who come to Rennlist to ask an informed audience a question about valuing something they know a lot about.

The GTS is an enigma in pricing itself. It is an optioned CS which costs less than the sum of its options. On the used market, buyers have to compare an optioned S with the GTS. However, prices fluctuate more than other models for cars in very similar condition and with similar options because the GTS name may generate a premium to some and not to others. Some say, "The GTS has all these options and should cost more because of it." while others will say, "The point of the GTS was to get all of those options at a lower price." That means LIST pricing will fluctuate more than usual for the same car. Buyers set the market, but unfortunately there is no easy way to aggregate the purchase price, only the listed price.

I asked this very question during my search because at the time two GTSs with almost the exact same options, mileage and condition were selling for almost $8k difference. And that did not make sense to me. But I thought it might make sense to the folks on Rennlist. So I asked the question, and people debated and I was more informed.

I wasn't stretched to buy either. I just value my hard earned money. And saving money on a Porsche is a success story in an of itself.

Take it easy.

Last edited by nwGTS; 04-22-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Next year most GTS's will be sold in the mid to high 60's already seeing them drop into that range now.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

So my car is going back to stock in 2 weeks...I will re-list it....probably at $75K here and on auto trader. Honestly do you all think this is to high to low of a price?

The real draw to a GTS is the wide body and the X51 engine package and that it was actually raced and a Rolex champion.

The Widebody just looks cool...it also has slightly better rear traction at a track event.

The X51 engine package is more than just 23 more HP...real HP too...tried and true HP. The X51 engine has stronger and bigger valves and springs, ported heads, a Porsche certified engine tune, X51 rev's better and wants to run at the higher rpm's easier. It's also a Rolex series Championship winning engine with BGB Motorsports and Rum Bum Racing in there GTS cars.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I think 75k is a fair asking price your car but note the activity I have seen over the last 6 weeks it's now possible to get a mint GTS for 67-74k.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:30 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I generally agree with your statement but why would you close the door to someone who wants to understand if the pricing is firm? Seems like you believe that asking price is non negotiable. Personally, if someone prices a car 10 to 15 percent above market, I usually ask how the asking price was determined and if there is wiggle room. If the asking price then makes sense to me, then I go forward. If it does not, it is in the best interest of both parties to end the discussion as it will be a waste of time. And...if the asking price is reasonable to what I am seeing as market pricing, then I leave the price haggling to the end. A good deal is when buyer and seller believes that they left something on the table.

Back to the OP question, I am thinking upper $70s to $80K if perfect, with a CPO.
Private sale ads usually state if the pricing is firm or not, or priced to sell. Why would you ask about money if you have not seen the car to know if you're interested or not? In my experience, people who are initially most interested in the price usually can't afford the asking price to begin with.

Last edited by beden1; 04-23-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 PM
cpt_slow
Instructor

Just be happy you aren't trying to buy a GTS in Canada where they are $95-110K. Damn CDN Dollar!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

5K is a bit of a stretch, most of his mods are direct bolt-ons, a full Sunday and you should be able to put everything back to stock yourself. Front and rear bumper isn't that difficult to remove, exhaust, springs, just takes time and some elbow grease. Of course, you need to get a PPI and see this car in person before purchased. I guess I'm just a sucker for free mods especially if I know I will get the OEM parts included.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
I think 75k is a fair asking price your car but note the activity I have seen over the last 6 weeks it's now possible to get a mint GTS for 67-74k.
Cool thanks I will research more when I re-list it mid May when the suspension and brakes are back to stock
Old 04-22-2015, 11:19 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 997 GTS price range?

I'll throw in my two cents based on what I've seen locally. The high water mark was a pristine 2012 Guards Red coupe with sub 10k miles and CPO at a dealer for 85k or so asking price.

There are a few others available at indy dealers from high 70s to low 80s asking prices and they've been sitting. My opinion is that as much as I like the GTS (not interested in a 991) I can't get my head around spending an extra 15k when I have a like new 997.2 S with low miles. And I need that weird third pedal on the far left side of the footwell. : )
Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
There's always some kind of outlier example when pricing is discussed but what's the value of it? GTS prices for all models as of this minute at all Porsche dealers in the country range from 76K to 92K. Going by comments around here, dealers haven't given up much on their asking prices lately.
http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...1E15GCD&pnr_=1
Old 05-30-2015, 11:43 AM
sambb
Instructor

There is another beautiful 2011 GTS with red gauges at a porsche dealer in houston, for 69.9k -- only 15k miles!, and can go lower. I looked at this car a few months ago. Wish the price was the same back then. This will be snapped up soon..

Quick Reply: 997 GTS price range?