997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you like best about your 997?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What do you like best about your 997?

Ok so this is like preaching to the choir as most of us are gushing 997 fans…. but what do you like best about your 997, whether it’s from the factory or a mod you’ve done, based on the type driving you do? I’m very happy with my car but keen to see if there are other mods that might be useful.

I use my ’06 997.1 as a sporty GT driving solo or with my SO and daughter, and get my biggest kicks from:

1. Driving Dynamics: This car is a blast to drive…in stock form or with mods.

2. Design: The 10 year old design looks amazingly fresh (maybe I should say 50 year design?). I’m still asked if it is new and most folks can’t believe it is 10 years old when I mention it.

3. Flat Six Sound (‘nuff said)

4. PASM: Very useful to switch between soft & firm suspension, especially on less than perfect roads

5. X51 Powerkit: It’s only around 40 extra horses, but these ponies are felt throughout the rev range, making a noticeable difference in both normal and sport modes.

6. GT3 Shifter: Even though it looks very similar to the stock shifter, it “snicks” into gear more noticeably than the standard shifter.

7. Exterior Upgrades:
a. OEM Sport Classic (Fuchs style) wheels (purely for looks but they take me back to 70’s P cars every time I see them)
b. Rennline front bumper screens to protect the new third radiator and original side radiators (looks good too)

8. Interior Upgrades:
a. The OEM soft touch plastic doesn’t cut it over time, especially if it is beige and the car is in a hot humid climate like mine. My SO’s initial reaction to the plastic on the center console was that it looked and felt cheap. Swapping out some of these bits for carbon fiber and leather bits has transformed the interior in terms of looks and feel.
b. Sport Seats: My original basic ’06 leather seats were in good shape, but the seat swap to later version sport seats has been a big plus…more comfortable, more side bolstering and they complete the interior.
c. Thicker steering wheel: I had the original sport steering wheel thickened and recovered with fresh leather…looks and feels great.
d. OEM Natural Brown floormats for Sand Beige Interior: Sand beige is too light a carpet color to keep clean. Porsche’s own natural brown looks richer, goes well with the SB interior and does a better job of dealing with dirt.
e. Tranzit Blu Bluetooth adapter & magnetic windshield mount for my phone: cheap effective music streaming and hands free calling. Plus I get to listen US stations now that I’m outside the US through Tune In radio.

Steve
Old 04-16-2015, 08:19 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SJP3003
2. Design: The 10 year old design looks amazingly fresh (maybe I should say 50 year design?). I’m still asked if it is new and most folks can’t believe it is 10 years old when I mention it.
I would say 50 year. Few years ago I was driving my 78 930 Turbo (sold) and a guy asked if it was a brand new porsche. "Best compliment I ever had on this car" I told him. He couldn't believe when I told him it was a 78 911.

I miss her!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with all your comments. Tough to pick one. Aside from how great the engine pulls thru the mid to upper rev range and steering feel, I really like the seating position and visibility.

The plastic bits are much lesser quality than similar year cars that I've owned or still have.

Sports seats look much better and I might swap too.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:04 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Engine configuration. Where else can you buy a car with the engine hanging on the rear? I know mid-engine is the best placement for balance but it does make the car unique when you are driving.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:01 PM
better late than never
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the feel and the adjust-ability

I'm coming from driving Rx'7s so the chassis is just so solid and sound.

The seat offers just about any level of adjustment needed to suit your mood for that day. The steering wheels also has just as many adjustments.

The Sport Chrono and PASM are also awesome fine tuning features to have to further customize your preference.

This car provides excellent feed back for those of us that still love driving and the traction control can be turned off. So many of the modern cars are running on auto pilot and the soul of the sport car has been lost.

Manual cars for life !
Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're all wrong.

It's the chicks.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:26 PM
better late than never
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
You're all wrong.

It's the chicks.
yeah right LOL !

Chicks come from the factory hard coded for BMW's

They have to be re-flashed to accept Porsche programing!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The curves, love the 997 design, it looks new if though it's 10 years old. My 981 has a lot of sharp curves, the 997 is just smooth. I love my aerokit, makes it looks very sporty. I love my TPC turbocharger, gives me over 500 hp on tap, for those days that the mustangs and corvettes tries to harass you. TPC did a great job tuning it, very minimum turbo lag, feels very naturally aspirated. I've been thinking about selling it many times but every time I get in. That thought goes away.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:46 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

The 997 rocks. Love how it becomes one with you. Also want to swap to sports seats, forever waiting for a sea blue colored set to come my way, aside from wanting to have a roof transport system too.....just in case anyone reads, i want...
Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

~370 at the crank, normally aspirated, with a curb weight under 3,100 lbs.

With a sunroof, leather, air conditioning, power steering, back seats (sorta) and a ride that won't beat you up too much.

It's the weight, though, that really sold me. The only other sports car that comes close are the Corvettes, and the 997 has a much nicer feel to it, especially as a semi-daily driver.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Its a 911 and its mine!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:18 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The rear view excites me every day!

Old 04-16-2015, 01:39 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
I would say 50 year. Few years ago I was driving my 78 930 Turbo (sold) and a guy asked if it was a brand new porsche. "Best compliment I ever had on this car" I told him. He couldn't believe when I told him it was a 78 911.

I miss her!

Awesome car... nice wheels!
Old 04-16-2015, 05:56 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SJP3003
Awesome car... nice wheels!
stock 16" fuchs
Old 04-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

The view of the hips out the side mirrors.

The flat six bark on cold start in the morning.

The flat six howl near redline, and the snap/crackle when shifting.

I'm fortunate enough to have X51 on my car too, but don't really have a frame of reference given that my car is my first Porsche and I don't have a lot of seat time in other 997s. But I love the look of that carbon airbox cover and the two snorkels. Two's always better than one, right?

The suppleness of the suspension. I do believe in normal mode, it's more supple than my C55.

The fact that it's grey - my old Saab SPG which I tuned and worked on endlessly was basically the same colour.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you like best about your 997?