Sponsored by:

Bug & tar on windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bug & tar on windshield

I've noticed a lot of bug guts, tar and other minor road debris stuck to my windshield. Soap and water with some elbow grease doesn't do the trick. I'm cautious about using a chemical spray on my windshield. Does anyone recommend a good way to get my windshield back to normal?
Old 04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Rainex double purpose. It's a spray on and then I scrub it with a microfiber. Works really well because it applies rainex properties of water beading and also works as a light cleaner.

Honestly, I've removed everything from intense road trips (tons of bugs on backroads) to tracking multiple events. All it requires is a rough hand with a microfiber and some sort of cleaning product.

You would be amazed how hard it is to remove wheel-rubber from a windshield and bodywork...had a 991 GT3 panic in front of me and spray my windshield/bodywork with all of his glorious MPSC2 tires. It took me a week to get the personal courage to remove all the damn streaks but if those came off with just rainex, bugs and tar are easier imo.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:55 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with RainX. I seldom use my wipers, except in slow traffic when it rains, RainX takes care of the rain. Plus - the layer of RainX on your windshield lets bugs and other stuff clean off very easily, much like dirt cleans off easily off a waxed surface on your paint.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I use Audi wiper fluid that has a rainx like additive in it. Lays down a nice rain repellent film and use windex to clean the bugs off easily,
Old 04-14-2015, 01:27 AM
LOFMarine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound funny, but it really works. I learned this on the RV forums when after travelling the United States in a fifth wheel and we had hundreds of bugs to clean.

Dryer sheets

No, really !

Wash the car or even just wet the dryer sheet and rub the tar and bug remains. They will come right off with minimal pressure. The only thing left is to clean up the lanolin or whatever stuff is in the dryer sheets.

The sheets wont scratch the paint, although you need to ensure you don't drag bug remains, which may scratch the paint.

Give it a try on a less cared for vehicle and see what happens !
Old 04-14-2015, 02:01 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

3M window cleaner
Old 04-14-2015, 03:50 AM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. Would a wet clay bar work too?
Old 04-14-2015, 04:00 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Mothers Revision -
LINK LINK
Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Goo-gone. The orange citrus stuff. Bugs, tar, rubber, cleans them right off with very little effort.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I hear very good things about Stoner's Tarminator. (seriously!).
Old 04-14-2015, 09:27 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

The southern people seem to love the RainX. I'm sure they wash their cars every other month if they need to or not. I'm not a rainX lover. While it may let rain bead off the windshield, it has the same effect with windshield wiper fluid. Dirty windshield, fluid that you squirt just rolls off without touching the sand, salt or road grim.
I use stoner invisible glass to clean my windshield and a micro fiber towel. And maybe a clay bar once or twice a season. Bugs or tree sap? lighter fluid, wd40, bug spray, a little piece of paper towel and let it sit on the spot. Like when you cut yourself shaving.
Wife must have followed a leaking tar truck for a few miles. Car was covered. Bumper to bumper, running boards to sunroof. White X5 looked like it had been in the Drakar. No clay bar, no RainX would work. Gassy cloths, done outside. What a job. Then a few soapy baths, and wax.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Clay bar your windshield.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

you can do almost anything to glass to clean it. Thats why its a easy job. Unless you scratch it with metal it doesnt get hurt very easy. I would lightly scrape it with a razor blade, use some wax and grease remover, then clean with strong glass cleaner or soap. If you want to get pitting or wiper scrapes off you can buff it with compound or the clay. I usually polish off the glass everytime I polish or buff the car. Get it really spotless then put on alot of rainx
Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Make your own glass cleaning solution with 1 part denatured alcohol to 2 parts distilled water in a spray bottle. Use dedicated glass cleaning towels, NEVER washed with fabric softener. Wet one towel, clean glass, buff dry with 2nd towel.

A better product than RainX is a product called Aquapel. Tire Rack sells it, too.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:55 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LOFMarine
This may sound funny, but it really works. I learned this on the RV forums when after travelling the United States in a fifth wheel and we had hundreds of bugs to clean.

Dryer sheets

No, really !

Wash the car or even just wet the dryer sheet and rub the tar and bug remains. They will come right off with minimal pressure. The only thing left is to clean up the lanolin or whatever stuff is in the dryer sheets.

The sheets wont scratch the paint, although you need to ensure you don't drag bug remains, which may scratch the paint.

Give it a try on a less cared for vehicle and see what happens !
Interesting ... never heard of this. Thanks.

Originally Posted by AWay
Goo-gone. The orange citrus stuff. Bugs, tar, rubber, cleans them right off with very little effort.
+1 - I use Goo-gone as well. Afterwards, just use your normal windshield cleaner to remove any remaining Goo-gone. Stubborn ones, just let it sit for a minute. Works great on removing tire rubber scuff marks from the track too. Never had it cause any problems with window glass or clear coat paint.

Quick Reply: Bug & tar on windshield