Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bug & tar on windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just use a razor blade to scrape the crap off. Then, and if you want to, use Rain-X to make it easier to remove the next time.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
Just use a razor blade to scrape the crap off. Then, and if you want to, use Rain-X to make it easier to remove the next time.
I would not advise using a razor blade in any regard. But if you do, make sure the glass is well lubricated or you are guaranteed to scratch the glass.

Tar and road oil is petroleum based.
Bug guts are organic lipids.
Both will be removed with a detergent or solvent.
It's glass, so don't use a solvent. Use of a detergent is fine but should be mild.
So, soap and water will do it for the bug guts but the tar and road oil will need something a bit more concentrated but still mild. That leaves us with readily available goo-gone or goo gone like products. You'll need to use a less concentrated soap and water solution to remove the goo gone but then your windshield will be clean. As others suggested including beden1, products like Rain-x or similar window sealants will prevent oil, tar and bug deposits in the future (though not all of them).
Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I would not advise using a razor blade in any regard. But if you do, make sure the glass is well lubricated or you are guaranteed to scratch the glass.

Tar and road oil is petroleum based.
Bug guts are organic lipids.
Both will be removed with a detergent or solvent.
It's glass, so don't use a solvent. Use of a detergent is fine but should be mild.
So, soap and water will do it for the bug guts but the tar and road oil will need something a bit more concentrated but still mild. That leaves us with readily available goo-gone or goo gone like products. You'll need to use a less concentrated soap and water solution to remove the goo gone but then your windshield will be clean. As others suggested including beden1, products like Rain-x or similar window sealants will prevent oil, tar and bug deposits in the future (though not all of them).
It's glass. Razor blades work well on glass. The steel does not scratch glass. But, you could use a spray detailer as a lubricant if you are reluctant.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:26 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
It's glass. Razor blades work well on glass. The steel does not scratch glass. But, you could use a spray detailer as a lubricant if you are reluctant.
While according to the Mohs scale steel is softer than glass, that is stainless steel and pure Silica glass or quartz. Glass in cars and most home windows is not complete silica but is also baked with sodium oxide, lime and other compounds. Those silica compounds are softer than stainless steel and can scratch if not scraped properly. However, most new construction and auto glass is tempered and well made tempered glass will not scratch easily (though it can). Hedge your bet and use a diluted detergent in most cases or you could use a spray detailer as beden1 mentioned, but a diluted detergent usually is best as it is easier to clean up afterward. If anything, make sure the razor you use is brand new and does not have rust or debris on it as it's the contaminants that scratch the glass most often and not the steel itself.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

FYI. Don't razor scrape your side windows. Those are factory coated for rain repulsion.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Clay on windsheilds has been used for years by detailers and it works well to get the very small amounts of tar and other debris that a normal window cleaner can't remove.

To clean glass I use a blend of isopropyl and water in a 65/35 blend (assuming 70% isopropyl). This is used in combination with a microfiber glass towel. No lint, no hazing and enough bight to remove bugs easily.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:27 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1 on Aquapel

Originally Posted by LexVan
Make your own glass cleaning solution with 1 part denatured alcohol to 2 parts distilled water in a spray bottle. Use dedicated glass cleaning towels, NEVER washed with fabric softener. Wet one towel, clean glass, buff dry with 2nd towel.

A better product than RainX is a product called Aquapel. Tire Rack sells it, too.
Have been using Aquapel by PPG for years. It lasts six months in NE on the windshield and longer on the exterior mirrors and side/rear windows.

Took advice on denatured alcohol/water for windows. Works great. Now have to get out the GooGone for the rubber from yesterday's track work.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:35 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

they have the lubricated bug sponge that should be available at any auto parts store. the meguires one works excellent.

doesn't scratch paint… and I've used it on headlights as well and it works WONDERS on tar. i had this massive gunk of tar all over my car and the bug sponges are a lifesaver. it works FAST as well.

Last edited by myw; 05-10-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

this
Old 05-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
Goo-gone. The orange citrus stuff. Bugs, tar, rubber, cleans them right off with very little effort.
this
Old 05-10-2015, 06:55 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goo-gone. The orange citrus stuff. Bugs, tar, rubber, cleans them right off with very little effort.
That's what I was going to say as it's what I use.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:47 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I gave up on RainEx years ago. I found while it beaded water nicely, if i used my wipers, they started skipping and chattering. I use an occasional clay bar and the Stoner product with surgical cloths i wash separately from any wax or polish cloths. It all works for me.

all the best...
Old 05-11-2015, 12:35 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

DO NOT use used razor blades on glass, it will scratch. NEW Razor blades are fine on glass, but only new ones. IF you do use them, do not go back and forth, treat it like your shaving your face, with lubricant and in one direction.

I've been in the glass biz for 29 years and know a thing or two bout glass.

I use 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner when the going gets rough. But it still wont cut tar....
Old 04-27-2021, 12:55 PM
Adam Ginsburg
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microfiber cloth with the goo be gone? Do you wash the windshield after goo be gone?

Microfiber cloth with the goo be gone? Do you wash the windshield after goo be gone?
Old 04-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Newt Gomez
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For bugs and water spots on glass, 0000 fine steel wool with window cleaner as a lubricant works wonders. It doesn't scratch glass due to glass being really hard. I have had excellent luck on paint with bug and tar remover from products on autogeek.net. A clay bar with your standard soap and water wash may help as well, but the main goal is always to use the least contact with the paint as possible. On top of your typical sealant/wax/coating regimen, a silicone spray on coating every couple months really helps out with paint maintenance.
AMMO NYC is a great youtube channel that goes in to great detail about this kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: Bug & tar on windshield