Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who tries to race you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 04:32 PM
terminator911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was getting a coffee with my wife and as a pulled out of the parking lot,I noticed a lime green dodge challenger at the light.He came flying up behind me.I didnt even get a chance to get a sip of my ice coffee yet.The dodge pulls up along side me and I look to see if it was a hellcat but it was a scat pack 6.4.We went at it from a roll of about 30 till about 100 mph and I pulled about 2 car lenghts on him.We slowed down, owner rolls down window and gave me the thumbs up I did the same and went about my night.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Those lime green Scat Packs look awesome, wish they were lighter though. Bet that was a sight next to your GT3 on the street, nice run.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:38 PM
terminator911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looked great! It sounded good as well.Yes it is big, but I had 1970 383 challenger back in 1983.So I kinda have a soft spot for challengers.As I recall the sound of the 4 barrel opening up on the 383 was the best sound. My gt3 is the only car that I will say comes close as far as great sounding that I have owned.....I miss that car...sold it for $600.00. back in 1984. Hellcat would be different story I think,As the scat pak wasnt loosing much ground after the two car lengths.it impressed me because I grabbed the two lengths as soon as we hit it but didnt gain much after that.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
This morning it was a Camry. A Camry! Blasted up quickly behind me whilst I was on my way to work. Drew up next to me and revved his engine.

On another note, has anyone else ever been on the receiving end of 'rolling coal'? I understand this to be when large diesel pickups rev up and then dump out a huge pile of black exhaust out of their pipes. It's happened to me more than once now (well, once in the S2000, and last week in the 997). Annoying. Some people clearly need to express their low self-esteem somehow.
Originally Posted by Para82
Some dirtbag did that to me in my Boss302. So I guess that's a thing now. Neat.
Originally Posted by Luxter
That's Alberta thing. I get it almost daily. If they only knew how abrasive soot is to Diesel engines ......
Pickup truck drivers are by far the worst.
Lots of trucks in Phoenix... the bigger the truck the more idiotic they typically are. I'm also guessing they think its cool to blow their black exhaust on well kept sports cars. Horrible!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 815 Posts
Default Who tries to race you?

Second hand information from my son in law. He says the diesels are designed to self clean by shooting out hardened pieces every so often. Guess he is getting the bad end of that as these can be very hot. He says this has caused several roadside fires along the Central Coast of California. I gather this is still in debate. But I guess we now have one more worry as we pilot our cars down the road.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:13 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strangely enough the only vehicles trying to race me are fast bikes, they pull up by my side, honk and give signs. One was on a full German Autobahn, the other already racing a Tesla S 85D. So no race in either case.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:49 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

A guy in a C6 Corvette tried to race me yesterday, or at the very least tried to make a ruckus and show me that he had a fast car too. We were on a 45 mph divided highway with lots of traffic. I'm not sure how much of a race that would have been, but he sure made lots of noise!
Old 07-13-2015, 06:49 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
lol

i dont take road bait since my car is too slow, but if there's anything i love to watch on the road, it's to witness a 335 get spanked gives me great pleasure
Had an aggressive puke in a 335 convertible (please) (I guess it could have been a 328 and might explain what happened next) weaving in and out trying to catch up with me as I headed towards the highway this morning. I was humping it pretty good and he was trying real hard - I watched the desperation unfold in my rear view mirror. He cut off a bunch of people and finally caught up to me and was right on my *** as I was entering the 270 degree on-ramp so I let her rip the whole way around with PSE on and Sharkwerks screaming in his face. At this point I was on the edge and concentrating hard around the 270 but when I reached the end of the loop and I floored it and looked in my mirror - he was 10 car lengths behind (with his greasy hair a little mussed up). 😘 After that He stayed a long distance behind me the rest of the way on the highway. 335 spanked.

Last edited by jcsomerv; 07-13-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:37 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol ^
Worth it. Good work

For me, yesterday, it was a diesel pickup truck. No joke.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:45 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Why do guys in pick-up trucks (especially F150s it appears to me) think they are driving sports cars? It is truly one of life's great mysteries.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:34 AM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Was out with the wife on Sunday just going out to get some lunch and spend the day at a nearby park on the lake.
Stopped at a red light and a young kid pulls up beside us on a bike.
Revs his engine couple of times and I look over to see he's lookin right at me.
lol
So I give hime the "Lets Go" signal...play it up...
Not sure if he was laughin or not but my wife found it funny.
I knew I had no chance...not really sure what kind of bike it was other than yellow.
Light turns green...he takes off...and I just pull away normally.
The engine rev and him lookin right at me was kinda funny.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:22 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a few runs long ago, when I was much younger. But I just don't do it now, and actually find nobody ever challenges me, my car is a very loud GT3 with a full Sharkwerk's no-muffler exhaust. I can't recall the last time someone tried to egg me onto a roll on race. Then too, four people were killed yesterday in a street drag race up in NC.

I really tend to think if a Porsche driver finds that frequently other cars challenge them on the street, then the P car driver is somehow sending out vibes or is trolling for a challenge.

As I grow older, I take less risks in my daily life. I don't even like getting up on ladders or my roof anymore.

All the best...
Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
Why do guys in pick-up trucks (especially F150s it appears to me) think they are driving sports cars? It is truly one of life's great mysteries.
Its not really a mistery. A lot of diesel pickups (those that want to race) have all kinds of engine modifications (deletes) producing in most cases as much as 1000hps. My neighbor has one, it looks like a sleeps pickup but it would smoke most likely all the cars on this forum (straight line) Thats why these guys try to race us.
Mystery solved
Old 07-14-2015, 01:25 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 160 Posts

Lots of diesel truck drives go "coaling" and make lots of soot on purpose to get even with Obama. I'm sure he is quite scared of them. I find that the WRX kids always want to race me.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:40 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by krysFly
Its not really a mistery. A lot of diesel pickups (those that want to race) have all kinds of engine modifications (deletes) producing in most cases as much as 1000hps. My neighbor has one, it looks like a sleeps pickup but it would smoke most likely all the cars on this forum (straight line) Thats why these guys try to race us.
Mystery solved
Hah, perhaps but most (all?) of the pickup drivers barreling down the roads around here aren't putting out 1,000hp or even half that...and certainly aren't going to take many roll races against 911s...

I think some people when driving with a high driving position, be it SUV, truck or minivan, feel like they're looking down on other road users (they literally are, I guess...) Just a generalization as I've seen very conscientious drivers too. I've seen a few pickups rev and then speed by (not impressively fast... just loudly) and they are clearly trying to bait or prove something. Reminds me a lot of the scene from Back to the Future... I won't bother with a link.

In any case, I won't take the bait and truly race someone (anything more than a very quick acceleration or "pull"), despite knowing I could "beat them" in a race, because to me in most circumstances and on public roads it is the greater fool that will win. The person willing to take greater risk, to themselves and others, and I'm not going to do it for the purpose of proving something. So, in fact, I guess those pickup trucks probably CAN smoke me :-)

Quick Reply: Who tries to race you?