Sponsored by:

Plasti Dipped Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 01:43 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Plasti Dipped Wheels

Happy Easter. I never thought I liked the dark wheel look but I plasti dipped my wheels anthracite grey and I like the results. If you're wondering what Carrera s 2 wheels look like on a black car, here you go. Car has sport pasm.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 3Series; 04-06-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:44 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

I have no clue why the pic is upside down.

<I fixed the pic>

Last edited by 3Series; 04-06-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:04 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! Funny I just did the exact same thing. Did you use gloss? I did mine in matte:
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Talk about hugging the road.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:35 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks great, especially with the red calipers....T
Old 04-05-2015, 05:37 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

I used about 1.5 cans of glossfier. It makes a subtle difference. If I plastidip my winter wheels I probably. Won't use glossifier.

I do like how the red calipers pop out, I wasn't expecting it. I also cleaned them when I had the wheels off.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:41 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I like how that looks. One question... what kind of heat tolerance does the stuff have? Any concerns that the inner part of the wheel nearer the brakes could potentially melt? I assume only an issue with repeated heavy braking / tracking?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:59 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I like how that looks. One question... what kind of heat tolerance does the stuff have? Any concerns that the inner part of the wheel nearer the brakes could potentially melt? I assume only an issue with repeated heavy braking / tracking?
According to the manufacturer the stuff is rated from -30F to 200+

The inner part of the wheel was not coated. I just sprayed the face. You can't see behind and the brake dust etc makes it dirty anyway (I followed the video instructions). The wheel looks like it came from the factory. I'm impressed with the stuff.

I'll find out in about a month how this stuff handles autocross and track duty.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks great. I am about to do mine as well. 2009 C4S Black. I was thinking of going with black instead, but am rethinking that now, as I really like this color on the black. As for heat resistance, I used Plastidip on my exhaust tips (Black) about 2 months ago, so far so good.

One question, how did you do the center caps?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:31 PM
robh75
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sooner
OP may have own method but I sprayed the entire center cap, then once dry, take a razor blade and very carefully trace the inside (indentation) around the porsche crest, and then simply peel it off the crest. Some have mentioned just peeling it off without a razor blade since the indentation (almost liek folding a paper prior to tearing), but I wasn't able to do that without pulling off additional plasti-dip from the crest.

the stuff is amazing in that you can just peel it right off with no harm done. And the texture looks good close up - like a professional powder coated look (not sure if gloss changes that). It probably requires periodic touch ups but that should be quick and easy. One thing to be careful of is spraying too much on one area initially - you don't want drip marks.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:37 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sooner
Looks great. I am about to do mine as well. 2009 C4S Black. I was thinking of going with black instead, but am rethinking that now, as I really like this color on the black. As for heat resistance, I used Plastidip on my exhaust tips (Black) about 2 months ago, so far so good.

My exhaust tips are black from use and dirt....lol.

I sprayed the caps separately. I did 4 coats of color and 2 coats of glossfier. Then I just peeled it off the crest. It will make a lot of sense once you do it. I barely needed a blade to separate the dip from the two crest and other part of the center cap. I think I just needed it for a little on one cap. It peels off very easy and looks great.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 PM
sebBo13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my wheels a few weeks ago in matte black. I really like the look with the black paint. A few things I noticed after the first few weeks:
Plastidip does not like Tire Shine of any sort. It will result in glossy spots that are difficult to remove.
Cleaning the wheels become a little more challenging, especially in the area where the dip thins out at the edge of the rim. It is very easy to tear up some of the dip if you are not careful.
The exhaust tips are still pristine, I don't think temperature will ever get hot enough to damage the dip coat.

Overall this stuff is pretty amazing but not really permanent. It is great however to figure out if you like a certain color on your wheels, or pretty much any part of the car. If you don't like it, you can just peel it off.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Happiness is an extra week or so of brake dust accumulation before becoming an eye sore.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought all the product to do my wheels in black as well, but have not made the commitment just yet.
I have some friends that did their wheels and after a few months it started to peel. That has held me off from doing this project.
I think I am going to have the wheels powder coated and be done.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:07 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

If you have the product you might as well put it on to see if you like it. It's easy to apply, easier if you apply it with the wheels on the car and you don't care about dipping the lug bolts or valve stems. I dipped my wheels off of the car, placed quarters in the bolt wells (so the bolts don't tear the dip when tightening) and masked off the valve stems.

Yes, powder coating is much more durable, but it also costs 10x more. However, if you know for sure you want to powder coat your wheels, go for it, there's no testing needed.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dipped Wheels