Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 center muffler bypass only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:47 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
Default 997.2 center muffler bypass only?

Just ordered the SW center muffler bypass pipes and hope to get them installed in about a month...

I have standard exhaust on .2 car and was considering doing the sides too. Has anyone just done the center muffler? I understand it is pretty subtle, but is it noticeable enough by itself (inside car w/windows open and outside car) to not get the sides done too?

BTW, I am ignoring the claims of HP and TQ gains (not saying they aren't there... but I didn't factor them into my purchase). Has anyone verified the gains separate from SW?

Thanks in advance! I know exhausts have been discussed to death on here but I don't recall anyone just doing the center muffler and leaving it that way...
Old 04-01-2015, 05:54 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Modifying the side cans by itself is louder than bypassing the center muffler.

Doing both brings your car to the level of a 997.1 with modification.

Just doing the center muffler doesn't do much. The advantage is that it can be reversed.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't agree that it doesn't do much. My GTS has PSE, but running the SW pipe with PSE off, I did notice a difference. In fact, when I brought the car home after having it installed, my wife remarked we didn't need the SW pipe, which we had been discussing, since the car really sounded good. She didn't know I had had it installed. Coming out of a 6GT3 with Cargraphic mufflers, we were very disappointed in the relatively sedate sound of the GTS. That went away with the SW pipe, and better yet with PSE on.

See my post https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...er-bypass.html
Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car had both the fabspeed x-pipe as well as the fabspeed side cans and it was a bit loud for my taste. Also I was getting some vibration when the car was stopped at a light. I put back the original mufflers and now it is just right for me with just the center muffler bypass.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I did it to mine, then I took it off. For me its better as stock, no vibration now that its off

Last edited by Mumbles; 04-01-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks all, very helpful. My car is 6MT and everything I've read (and from discussing with Sharkwerks) is that I shouldn't expect any drone / issues.

Sounds like I should just try it w/the center muffler bypass and see how I like it... and then take it from there.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Just ordered the SW center muffler bypass pipes and hope to get them installed in about a month...

I have standard exhaust on .2 car and was considering doing the sides too. Has anyone just done the center muffler? I understand it is pretty subtle, but is it noticeable enough by itself (inside car w/windows open and outside car) to not get the sides done too?

BTW, I am ignoring the claims of HP and TQ gains (not saying they aren't there... but I didn't factor them into my purchase). Has anyone verified the gains separate from SW?

Thanks in advance! I know exhausts have been discussed to death on here but I don't recall anyone just doing the center muffler and leaving it that way...
I've tried:

C2S Fister + SWB = near perfect, but loud in bassy way
C2S Fister only = too quiet
GTS PSE only = too quiet; slightly louder than C2S + Fister only
GTS PSE + SWB = PERFECT; same volume as C2S F+SWB, but more cultured sound — much of it could be be of X51, though.

I'd say, 997.2 C2S/C4S + SWB alone will be too quiet, for sure. I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud or droning exhausts, just so you know where I'm coming from. Your car + Fister + SWB will be nice. You will wonder why it took you so long to do it. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:36 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

With just the secondary there is no drone whatsoever. It does not make it too loud, probably just right and very recongizable as a Porsche sound. I liked.

But the vibration comment is true, which is more pronounced on the pdk cars. The manuals not so much...

In case you are wondering how the system sounds... Two different camera position in the rear of the car.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:29 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
I've tried:

C2S Fister + SWB = near perfect, but loud in bassy way
C2S Fister only = too quiet
GTS PSE only = too quiet; slightly louder than C2S + Fister only
GTS PSE + SWB = PERFECT; same volume as C2S F+SWB, but more cultured sound — much of it could be be of X51, though.

I'd say, 997.2 C2S/C4S + SWB alone will be too quiet, for sure. I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud or droning exhausts, just so you know where I'm coming from. Your car + Fister + SWB will be nice. You will wonder why it took you so long to do it. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Agree 100%. PSE + SWB on the .2 cars checks all the boxes. Loved the Tubi on the -09 C4S but this is better to my ears. And the GTS does sound different than non X-51 cars. I'm guessing it's the larger diameter and different flow of the headers since the rest of the exhaust is identical as far as I know.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:49 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

On the subject of the PDK vibration: I tried multiple exhaust combos over time. When I tried adding the Sharkwerks bypass to the Fabspeed Maxflo I had at the time, I ended up with a significant vibration at idle and removed the crossover. Later, when I came across a deal on a PSE and installed it, I tried the Sharkwerks crossover again thinking that I'd like a little more sound and I was willing to reconsider accepting the vibration. Much to my surprise, I get no additional vibration now with the PSE/Sharkwerks combo.

So either A) That combo just happens to work better from a backpressure point of view and the engine idles more smoothly, or B) there was some change in the way the pipes mounted that made a difference and previously I had some sort of fitment problem in my mounting of the parts (maybe something was touching the body or heat shielding?). I can't say which it was, but note that Sharkwerks and PDK do not necessarily mean you will have on-idle vibration.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:56 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I did it to mine, then I took it off. For me its better as stock, no vibration now that its off
You can't go wrong with stock
Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 AM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crossover pipes to eliminate the center muffler + Gundo Hack side mufflers = the perfect sound with zero drone. JMHO.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
On the subject of the PDK vibration: I tried multiple exhaust combos over time. When I tried adding the Sharkwerks bypass to the Fabspeed Maxflo I had at the time, I ended up with a significant vibration at idle and removed the crossover. Later, when I came across a deal on a PSE and installed it, I tried the Sharkwerks crossover again thinking that I'd like a little more sound and I was willing to reconsider accepting the vibration. Much to my surprise, I get no additional vibration now with the PSE/Sharkwerks combo.

So either A) That combo just happens to work better from a backpressure point of view and the engine idles more smoothly, or B) there was some change in the way the pipes mounted that made a difference and previously I had some sort of fitment problem in my mounting of the parts (maybe something was touching the body or heat shielding?). I can't say which it was, but note that Sharkwerks and PDK do not necessarily mean you will have on-idle vibration.

It's this. I do all the installation of these exhausts and bypasses myself. When you do it yourself, it's very clear where the areas at that might cause vibration are. You just have to be careful to push everything apart before locking them down into place. If two areas are very close together, or even touching when cold, you'll get a "vibration" when the pipes get hot and the metal expands. If you're having it installed for you, just make sure your install guy takes his time, and gives everything proper space, and it will be fine. Rushed jobs will sometimes result in poor fitment. It's not the fault of the car or the product.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:59 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Agreed. I am running the SW bypass with PSE and have no vibrations. I used 15ft lbs for all exhaust nuts/bolts which I think also makes a difference.

Originally Posted by Ten Years
It's this. I do all the installation of these exhausts and bypasses myself. When you do it yourself, it's very clear where the areas at that might cause vibration are. You just have to be careful to push everything apart before locking them down into place. If two areas are very close together, or even touching when cold, you'll get a "vibration" when the pipes get hot and the metal expands. If you're having it installed for you, just make sure your install guy takes his time, and gives everything proper space, and it will be fine. Rushed jobs will sometimes result in poor fitment. It's not the fault of the car or the product.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:10 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by kouzman
With just the secondary there is no drone whatsoever. It does not make it too loud, probably just right and very recongizable as a Porsche sound. I liked.

But the vibration comment is true, which is more pronounced on the pdk cars. The manuals not so much...

In case you are wondering how the system sounds... Two different camera position in the rear of the car.
1/4 mile? Times? Any other mods?

Quick Reply: 997.2 center muffler bypass only?