Sponsored by:

Factory Porsche Center Caps. Plastic vs. Metal

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:48 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrono
My Chinese knockoffs are holding tight. In fact, I'm very happy with my Chinese Porsche wheels (see avatar). The only Porsche guy that has called me out on them was the service manager at a Porsche dealership. He noted the outer lip not polished. However, I know that I got what I paid for, and the first time I hit a curb they are likely to explode as Ferdinand giggles from beyond the grave.
I bought some China knockoffs from Amazon/ebay and compared them to my OEM caps. The raised dots were arranged in rows/columns on the knockoff version, but they're not aligned on the OEM. You can only tell if you're comparing them up close. The gray actually matched my OZ wheel color better on the knockoffs, so that's what I have on right now.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts
Default knock off

Originally Posted by semicycler
I highly recommend buying OEM here. The aftermarket quality is junk. I have yet to see an aftermarket that fits a 997.1 worth the $50 to $100 savings. You end up buying them twice.
I bought mine from ebay too for $15 a set DELIVERED!! The fit and finish is superb, and I don't think any one can tell the difference if not compared to side by side with the genuine caps. The silver actually matched pretty well with the wheel.

I don't know how these will hold up with the passage of time, but I've seem some genuine caps worn to hell too. For $15, I guess they surpassed my lowest expectations.

The only thing is that I feel bad for buying knock offs.. But paying more than $200 for these plastic caps feels even worse. I would definitely buy the genuine caps if the OEM sets were closer to maybe $40-$50 a set.
Attached Images  

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 03-26-2015 at 07:30 PM. Reason: wrong picture
Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
I bought mine from ebay too for $15 a set DELIVERED!! The fit and finish is superb, and I don't think any one can tell the difference if not compared to side by side with the genuine caps. The silver actually matched pretty well with the wheel.

I don't know how these will hold up with the passage of time, but I've seem some genuine caps worn to hell too. For $15, I guess they surpassed my lowest expectations.

The only thing is that I feel bad for buying knock offs.. But paying more than $200 for these plastic caps feels even worse. I would definitely buy the genuine caps if the OEM sets were closer to maybe $40-$50 a set.
Still the wrong picture isn't it? You're addressing knock-offs but the picture is of the Porsche parts??
Old 03-26-2015, 08:04 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Still the wrong picture isn't it? You're addressing knock-offs but the picture is of the Porsche parts??
No, this is the picture of the knock off. I was really surprised too. I thought that the seller had used the picture of OEM caps to sell the knock offs, but the caps really came with the Porsche parts number in the back and on the box just like their picture.

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy these knock-off's. Just having trouble understanding why the OEM's would cost so much.

This picture is from the seller I bought them from. I am at work so I don't have the picture of these caps in my car. I will post them tomorrow.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 03-26-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Here is my eBay cap with the box it came with

Attachment 922564

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 07-24-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 306 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm actually pretty surprised eBay hasn't put a stop to this. Isn't this basically trademark/copyright infringement and another business benefiting from the marketing and branding of Porsche?

It's not just this, eBay let's banners and posters and similar things all the time. I'm really not sure why they permit it.

I haven't a set of fakes. They're fine for what they are. I think the reason Porsche sells them for so much is because the option on the car is pretty expensive and so they aren't going to sell the caps for any less. Why is it such an expensive option? That I don't know.

Anyway, still surprised eBay doesn't do more unless there's some legal loophole for these folks that I would love to have explained to me.

Quick Reply: Factory Porsche Center Caps. Plastic vs. Metal