Sponsored by:

997.1 engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeborden
Jake has also stated that he hasn't seen scored bores from a hot weathered car.
i did not know that at all... thank you.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:57 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My story doesn't start with "I have a friend". I purchased my 2006 C2S new. Oil always changed early. No track use, but driven hard as it should be. Bores scored at 82K miles. If by cold weather you mean 70 degrees then that could do it because my car never left South Florida. Replaced the engine several months ago.....with some upgrades. Expensive repair, but a whole lot less than a new car and although there is 10 years worth of wear and tear, everything on the car works well and it drives like a dream. I am much happier to spend the money on a 10yo Carrera with a new engine with warranty than spend the equivalent and have a new Honda Accord.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
Came here for this. Did not disappoint.
It does make you wonder just how many people trade at Carmax at the first sign of trouble.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:55 AM
porterror
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard carmax is a dumping ground. There is a red turbo on there right now that was confirm by a member as having a bad clutch.

What kind of prices is carmax giving on 997?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:50 AM
mikeborden
Instructor

Originally Posted by vitman
My story doesn't start with "I have a friend". I purchased my 2006 C2S new. Oil always changed early. No track use, but driven hard as it should be. Bores scored at 82K miles. If by cold weather you mean 70 degrees then that could do it because my car never left South Florida. Replaced the engine several months ago.....with some upgrades. Expensive repair, but a whole lot less than a new car and although there is 10 years worth of wear and tear, everything on the car works well and it drives like a dream. I am much happier to spend the money on a 10yo Carrera with a new engine with warranty than spend the equivalent and have a new Honda Accord.
This is the first one i've heard with scored bores in a sunny and warm state.

This is one of those things it's almost a luck of the draw. From the reading/research that I have done, the only way to hopefully avoid it is with a cooler thermostat. However, there are cars out there that have happily gone over 100,000 miles plus and those have the original thermostat.

Glad you decided to keep the car, most people would have dumped it.

Mike

Last edited by mikeborden; 03-17-2015 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added a comment
Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well if he was having the oil filter checked he must have been aware of some engine issues. if it does need a motor i would sell it.......aint no sense puttin lip stick on a pig
Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 AM
xG3
Track Day

Guys, I really do not think a single post warrant a trend of issues.

One of my jobs in the past was running an IT department for very popular products in Canadian Tire. We have 3 brands and multiple products but all coming from the same China manufacturer and line of assembly; very close in design too.

The highest MSRP product will always yield the highest % of calls (customer service) and also ship out the most amount of replacement parts. For many years we wondered why that is the case... Testing the products and improving them but same result.

The result was actually quite simple. The customer paying for more...

#1 Always expects more, even if the product is 100% functional, their physiological value tells them it should be more.
#2 Always complain more, because #1.
#3 More likely to go on social media to damage a brand because they feel #1,#2..

Lastly, only unsatisfied customer will go on the internet and a forum.. less than a % of people will write you a lengthy good review.

But just putting it out there, all goods will suffer from defects some form in another depending on your luck. Some goods will live through all kind of improper maintenance also...
Old 03-17-2015, 11:04 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

may i ask how the low temp thermostat help you avoid scoring?

i've read some people precautionarily add the third rad + low temp thermostat; and can see why the 3rd rad would help as it would aid cooling... but how does the low temp thermostat help?

Originally Posted by mikeborden
From the reading/research that I have done, the only way to hopefully avoid it is with a cooler thermostat. However, there are cars out there that have happily gone over 100,000 miles plus and those have the original thermostat.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 160 Posts

but how does the low temp thermostat help?
It would open up sooner (lower temp) and let the coolant flow out of the block quicker. Its only good for a cold engine. Once you are warmed up, no difference.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DC911S
It would open up sooner (lower temp) and let the coolant flow out of the block quicker. Its only good for a cold engine. Once you are warmed up, no difference.
i get it, thank you! it basically regulates the cooling cycle... for some reason i only thought it merely monitors the oil temp.

Last edited by myw; 03-17-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM
EMan 928
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Thank you for all of your insight and input. Engine analysis is being done and the owner of the car will evaluate after the results are back.

And, my apologies for labeling this a common problem. As a 928 owner, I should know better. The 928 gets labeled as a mechanical nightmare all the time (the dreaded timing belt failure). When actually the car is really bulletproof as long as proper maintenance is done at the correct intervals.

Best regards, Eric
Old 03-17-2015, 11:56 AM
mikeborden
Instructor

DC911S answered it.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Cheadrick
3rd Gear

Default 997.1

Update on the issue with engine failure. The oil did have metal in it and there was tapping at idle. It also is loosing oil but not sure where. 2 to 3 quarts in 2 to 3 k miles. The concern is that the sleeves are scored but could be something else. I am planning to send the oil for analysis and then figure what is next based on rhe results. Eric thank you for your help and others thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:17 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

for OP

Manual trans on this car?

When they boroscoped the cylinder (I assume they did this if you know that it's scored bores) did they see valve impact marks on the piston heads? Ticking at idle sounds like mangled lifters due to valve impact.

Another question might be: how do they know it's scored bores? Leakdown or boroscope?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Odds are if it's losing that much oil the sleeves are scored. Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this. Hopefully you'll get it resolved and back on the road again.

Quick Reply: 997.1 engine failure