Sponsored by:

suncoast winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:53 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 306 Likes on 180 Posts
Default suncoast winter tires

So, remember the deal and tire size questions? Well, the wheel set finally came in and those turbo ii wheels are beautiful. Well packed. Everything went smooth.

I bought 2 sets for 2 cars. One set of tires was 3 years old. The other set was 3.5 years old. If Tirerack had sent me those I would have ripped them a new one. I'm still inclined to do so with Suncoast for not disclosing that prior to offering them up for sale.

I'm not sure winters and summers fall in the same category. Heck, one set has N0 markings to give you an idea of how old they are.

Is it too much to expect some tires that aren't 3 years old? Yeh, they were discounted significantly but that's neither here nor there. I don't really feel like sending them back but I also won't feel comfortable keeping the tires beyond another couple of years and I was hoping to get more life out of them. I'm not all too familiar with how winters age.

Anyway. Kinda pissed at them right now and wanted to vent and share in case anyone elects to buy wheels/tires from Suncoast.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That blows. I just ordered a set!

Still should be good for few more years I would think, though. And can probably sell wheels alone for that sale price.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

It's something they should disclose. That's all. Yeh, I'm sure they're fine for a 2-3 more years but what if intended to use them for 5. For me, age is more of a concern than mileage.

However, I know nothing about how winter tires age and if they are anything like summers. It's not like they've been used for 3 years and have gone through 100s of heat cycles.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:20 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree that detail should have been disclosed and I too would be upset. My winters stay on Dec to Mar and are replaced due to age rather than wear so I would be sending them back. Good luck
Old 03-04-2015, 08:52 PM
robh75
Instructor

Good point re: warehouse storage vs heat/cold cycles.

I found this from Cooper:

TIRE SERVICE LIFE
Cooper recommends that all tires, including full-size spares, that are 10 or more years from their date of manufacture, be replaced with new tires.

Tire service life is not determined by chronological age. The useful life of a tire is a function of service and storage conditions. For each individual tire, this service life is determined by many elements such as temperature, storage conditions, and conditions of use (e.g., load, speed, inflation pressure, impacts and road hazard damage) to which a tire is subjected throughout its life. Since service and storage conditions vary widely, accurately predicting the service life of any specific tire based on calendar age is not possible.

and from Tire RACK:

It is important to take into account Original Equipment tires are mounted on wheels and put into service right after being received by vehicle manufacturers, so their calendar age begins immediately. However the same cannot be said of tires properly stored in a tire manufacturers' warehouse or in Tire Rack distribution centers before they go into service. Properly stored tires that are protected from the elements and not mounted on a wheel age very slowly before they are mounted and put into service.

Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle.

I would hope the tires were stored well, and NOT on the wheels the whole time?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Still annoyed at them
Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 PM
robh75
Instructor

Originally Posted by workhurts
Still annoyed at them
No doubt... not good business practice on their part. Maybe worth calling to see if can get further discount.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
So, remember the deal and tire size questions? Well, the wheel set finally came in and those turbo ii wheels are beautiful. Well packed. Everything went smooth.

I bought 2 sets for 2 cars. One set of tires was 3 years old. The other set was 3.5 years old. If Tirerack had sent me those I would have ripped them a new one. I'm still inclined to do so with Suncoast for not disclosing that prior to offering them up for sale.

I'm not sure winters and summers fall in the same category. Heck, one set has N0 markings to give you an idea of how old they are.

Is it too much to expect some tires that aren't 3 years old? Yeh, they were discounted significantly but that's neither here nor there. I don't really feel like sending them back but I also won't feel comfortable keeping the tires beyond another couple of years and I was hoping to get more life out of them. I'm not all too familiar with how winters age.

Anyway. Kinda pissed at them right now and wanted to vent and share in case anyone elects to buy wheels/tires from Suncoast.
I agree that Suncoast should have disclosed that the tires were over 3 years old. I'd be annoyed too. Thanks for sharing so future buyers will be better informed of what they'll be getting.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:06 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just being the devils advocate but you got wheels/tires that were over 50% off retail. I would have gladly bought brand new CL wheels even without tires for that price. I'm sure if you return them, they will quickly be snatched up as the suncoast site doesn't even have them listed anymore. You got a smokin' deal even with 3 year old tires!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Devils advocate. I agree. They were a deal but still a misrepresented deal. Price has little to do with the discussion.

There's no way suncoast would want them back they aren't going to cough up $420 in freight to me and another $420 back to them.

I'll chat with them. See what they think. Reasonable is reasonable. They've always been decent to deal with in the past.

You think if you paid full price a month ago, you would have gotten fresh tires? How pissed would you have been then? I do know one thing. Suncoast never had them and they were ordered from Porsche so I don't actually know for sure whether suncoast knew what they were selling. I'm guessing they've been in the business long enough to have had a clue.

Anyway, those turbo ii wheels are sweet.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:50 AM
RobAllen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a set, in transit. Even with the tires are a couple of years old, I feel we got an awesome deal! Can't wait for the turbo II wheels!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:01 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

If they haven't been mounted on a car, we will gladly take them back. We're still getting requests for these. No problem, send a PM and we will start the process.

This was a closeout item, no further discounts are available. We knew these were not "new" tires, but we didn't know the exact date of each tire. Porsche wouldn't sell "bad" tires, they destroy out-dated tires. These were stored in Porsche's air conditioned warehouse, and not exposed to the elements. So they have lived a good life so far, very ideal conditions.

We saw a good deal and we were happy to pass along the savings. We've never seen a new-in-the-box, factory wheel sets this cheap. Genuine Porsche wheels ($5,xxx.00), tire pressure monitors ($500.00), valve stems ($120.00), and winter tires ($1,xxx.xx)........and we were selling these packages from $1600-$2600. That's a pretty big savings. And these were all premium, good looking wheels. The 997.2 Turbo wheels are gorgeous, one of the finest for the 997 generation (IMO). We apologize for your dissappointment, but rest assured that you have a fantastic wheel set at a fantastic price. We will take them back if you like, and find a new home for them. Please PM me if you need assistance. Happy to help.

- Ric
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
If they haven't been mounted on a car, we will gladly take them back. We're still getting requests for these. No problem, send a PM and we will start the process.

This was a closeout item, no further discounts are available. We knew these were not "new" tires, but we didn't know the exact date of each tire. Porsche wouldn't sell "bad" tires, they destroy out-dated tires. These were stored in Porsche's air conditioned warehouse, and not exposed to the elements. So they have lived a good life so far, very ideal conditions.

We saw a good deal and we were happy to pass along the savings. We've never seen a new-in-the-box, factory wheel sets this cheap. Genuine Porsche wheels ($5,xxx.00), tire pressure monitors ($500.00), valve stems ($120.00), and winter tires ($1,xxx.xx)........and we were selling these packages from $1600-$2600. That's a pretty big savings. And these were all premium, good looking wheels. The 997.2 Turbo wheels are gorgeous, one of the finest for the 997 generation (IMO). We apologize for your dissappointment, but rest assured that you have a fantastic wheel set at a fantastic price. We will take them back if you like, and find a new home for them. Please PM me if you need assistance. Happy to help.

- Ric
Classy!!!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:11 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Err....I hate this thread because I've been on the fence about ordering Turbo II wheels. I have perfectly fine Carrera S II wheels that I like. The TPMS are getting old......(struggling to find an excuse here)

Can someone please confirm that the wide body rear wheels will fit on a narrow body? It's just like having 16mm spaces on a narrow body wheel. Is that correct?

As everyone has stated, the Suncoast deal is a deal. I'm planning to scrap the tires.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Do me a favor and in the future when you have close out tires, state why they are close-out so people can make an educated decision with all the facts.

I appreciate the offer to return. I may just take you up on it.

The turbo ii had only 3 year old tires. They boxster s 981 tires were a week 40 2011 production so 3.5 years. Knowing that they were in a controlled environment does help.

Like I said. It was more a disclosure issue.

Quick Reply: suncoast winter tires