Tasteful mod suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:02 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Tasteful mod suggestions?

I like keeping my car stock but am considering the following mods:

1. Gundo / Fister exhaust mod: I think I know the story here... but should give a bit more volume and growl over stock. I'm not going to mod the center muffler, however... I want no drone, and just want to open up the volume a bit... I know this topic has been beaten to death but any comments are appreciated

2. SSK -- considering one... my transmission is tight and shifts nicely but I have driven a few with SSKs and like those too... any thoughts are appreciated

3. Considering 3M clear bra on front bumper. If I do this, I will likely remove the license plate bracket and get it re-sprayed first. Bumper is very clean and I like not having to worry about cops stopping for no plates, but obviously would look better without plate

4. Spacers for rear wheels. Considering this... won't go extreme and don't want to change my wheels themselves

The one I'm really torn over is the exhaust -- I'm not sure if I should go all-in and get the PSE added vs. gundo it... Just can't get my head around the $3k+ extra in cost to be able to turn it off when (unless I'm missing something) there isn't much disadvantage to always having the valves open?

Is there any way that a well done gundo mod (I'm thinking Fister or Rudtner's South Shore Performance) could result in drone?

Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:19 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All great choices.

If you want just sound, go with the Gundo / Fister, if you want some tangible performance improvements with sound then invest in an exhaust system.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Naks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Facing same dilemma as you Speedy. I have the FisterD sitting in my garage ready for install, but have been considering an X-Pipe or 200 CEL Cat, and SSK. Main concern for me is possible drone going with the X-pipe or 200 CEL. As for the SSK, I see a lot of people who love it, and some who complain it feels too notchy. Wish I had someone immediately around my area that I can check both of these out.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:03 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

1. I put the SW center muffler delete on my GTS. Love it! But I also have the PSE, which adds to the aural pleasure.
2. Hated SSK on any of my cars. Installed on 3d gen RX-7, took it out. Installed on 993TT, took it out. Installed on 6GT3, took it out. (I am a slow learner!) Much too much work to shift. Notchiness was not an issue, but the increased effort to shift when tracking or canyon-carving was too much.
3. Do the whole front. On my 6GT3, I did the bumper, and halfway up the hood and fenders. The only rock chip I got was about 4 inches above where the clear-bra stopped on the hood.
4. No comment as I have no experience there.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:22 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

re #1, I did the center w/o the gundo and the diff was very small. I then read that gundo w/o the center yields similar results. just FYI
Old 03-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the Fister's ... best money I ever spent. I also invested in a Numeric Racing shifter and cables instead of the factory SSK. Very mechanical and probably not everyone's cup of tea, but personally I love mine.

I am considering spacers also.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

1. Start with Fister. Delete the center muffler later if you want more. You can always revert.

2. PDK, no experience with SSK on 911, but haven't cared for it elsewhere.

3. Full bra to windshield, but detail the front first.

4. Spacers scare me since they put extra leverage on things but I will admit to being obsessively paranoid when I say this. I may try them some day in spite of my feelings. I do like the look!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:55 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
Do the Fister's ... best money I ever spent. I also invested in a Numeric Racing shifter and cables instead of the factory SSK. Very mechanical and probably not everyone's cup of tea, but personally I love mine.

I am considering spacers also.
Thanks, Harvey.

I suspect, however, that the exhaust mod on my car won't be quite as nice as yours (yours is a 997.1, correct?) The .2 cars center muffler takes away some of the bark (and bite).

I still am leaning towards doing it... but my expectations are a bit more muted.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Not sure if you are asking about other tasteful mods, but I swapped out my OEM front badge with a black/silver one from intrepidagent. He frequents the marketplace forums. Similar in concept to replacing the orange side markers with clear, the black and silver finish looks a lot better against my silver car and would likely look great on your gray. The workmanship is top notch and it is still looking great a year after installation.

On the exhaust front, I also ended up with PSE and a Sharkwerks center bypass like Jumpin Joe. If you don't do the SW center then you'll never even need to consider hooking up the PSE switch. I'm not sure the sound will be enough though... depends upon your personal tastes.

I was lucky and found a used PSE with GTS tips at a great price, then added the OEM vacuum plumbing and a hardwired switch rather than do the computer-controlled hookup. I personally think the sound is ideal and many of us would be happy with just leaving the PSE unswitched even with the SW crossover. I live in a quiet older neighborhood and added a switch just to be a little quieter for the neighbors, but it really wasn't too bad unswitched.

If you take that route you can buy a new PSE kit for less than $2500 and do the work yourself, or hold out and try to find a used one. They are hard to come across though. If you decide to take the DIY PSE route I can provide useful hints. I ran all of the vacuum switch as per OEM specs and have the factory document for that, I just didn't run the official wiring harness or computer switch and used a discrete in-cockpit toggle switch instead so I have full manual control.

All that said, many seem to be very happy with the Fister/SW combo and that is certainly a excellent route to take and would save you a couple of grand. Fister's workmanship is top notch with proper all-stainless welds and tubing. I had one on my 997.1.

Last edited by StormRune; 03-03-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:32 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Not sure if you are asking about other tasteful mods, but I swapped out my OEM from badge with a black/silver one from intrepidagent. He frequents the marketplace forums. Similar in concept to replacing the orange side markers with clear, the black and silver finish looks a lot better against my silver car and would likely look great on your gray. The workmanship is top notch and it is still looking great a year after installation...
I have a black one for sale!
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ood-crest.html
Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Really appreciate everyones thoughts, including the additional mod thoughts.

On spacers, will something very modest like 7mm be noticeable? I assume the less you do, the less impact on suspension geometry, handling and stresses. Perhaps a silly question, but any impact on CPO?

I'm leaning towards getting the side mufflers done first (South Shore Performance) and willing to pay up a bit vs. a muffler shop. Was going to have him add spacers too while he has the car.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the Fister's. Great sound and no regrets. Keep the car under 3K RPM and you're pressed to notice much of a change. I didn't want the droning either - and it fits the bill perfect.

I have driven an 05 with the SS kit... It was interesting but I have had them before. I am considering it for my car as well. The one thing that you need to remember - if your shift is a bit hard right not - especially when cold - it will be harder with the SS kit.

I have the clear bra on my car - 1/2 way up the hood, the rear wheel tubs and the rear view mirrors. Doing it again - go all the way up the hood.

One to add to the list - get the LED interior kit from Suncoast... gives a nice updated look.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:38 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PasPar2
re #1, I did the center w/o the gundo and the diff was very small. I then read that gundo w/o the center yields similar results. just FYI
Same result here. Do both mods and save the bucks. Don't even think about getting an aftermarket system.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with all that the Fister D mod is the way to go...simply the best bang for the buck mod for our cars. Clear bra is awesome (use Expel film), just make sure the original paint is near perfect or it can actually accentuate the rock chips and other blemishes.

I would do the Fister D mod first and if you don't like it, or want an exhaust that also increases your HP... you would have little trouble finding a buyer at near cost.

Have fun!
Old 03-04-2015, 01:57 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Thanks all! I'm between going to Fister and getting Bill to do it. I feel like cost-wise they're about the same all-in and it sounds like Bill has a very good rep. Convenience is a bit better with going out to LI and getting it all done in one go...

On the center muffler... I personally am okay with loud but wonder if that will wear on me (and fiance) on longer trips. I guess the gundo hack mod will be essentially what the 997.2 sounds like with the PSE option (just without ability to turn it off)... I am leaning (gently) towards that vs. doing both at once...

Quick Reply: Tasteful mod suggestions?