Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Can I drive your car?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 PM
zaitsev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I typically never let anyone drive unless they're a fellow enthusiast. But then... I went on a date, a first date, and let her drive through the canyons at night. I then had to marry her so as to keep within the guidelines of close friends and family only.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

I understand the ethos of "it's just a car" but I've experienced the worst case scenario. Years ago a friend asked to drive my car at the end of the night getting a little too aggressive in wet weather and totalled my car.

The burden was on me (regardless of him driving). My wife and my dad are welcome to drive it if they'd want to, otherwise no way.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
I understand the ethos of "it's just a car" but I've experienced the worst case scenario. Years ago a friend asked to drive my car at the end of the night getting a little too aggressive in wet weather and totalled my car.

The burden was on me (regardless of him driving). My wife and my dad are welcome to drive it if they'd want to, otherwise no way.
What kind of car?

I would let an enthusiast drive it - especially if they can't afford one.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zaitsev
I typically never let anyone drive unless they're a fellow enthusiast. But then... I went on a date, a first date, and let her drive through the canyons at night. I then had to marry her so as to keep within the guidelines of close friends and family only.
Great story...you know a keeper right from the get go, don't ya?!

P.S. Methinks that the canyon drive wasn't the end of that first date!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82

What kind of car?

I would let an enthusiast drive it - especially if they can't afford one.
1994 VW Corrado that I bought new and worked hard for. It was my first car and for better or worse I decided that wouldn't happen again.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM
FC356
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been a P car enthusiast for 40 years. When I was younger I almost never let anyone drive my cars. As I have gotten older I am a more willing to let other folks drive as long as they know their way around a manual and a Porsche 's unique handling.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my best friend drive the car this past weekend. He's got a bum left knee, so he couldn't quite get his clutch meet and shifting right on the 997.

I wanted to strangle him after a couple dragged-clutch starts and grinding gears, but he did let me date his sister, so I suppose I could forgive him.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
There's more to the issue than you [and others] seem to recognize, and I am not going to detail it here. It has little to do with the car's value or replacement.
There is also the possibility of the person getting hurt and suing your @ss. I have coverage for that too. I have a coworker who has a multi-millionaire father. He buys new cars every year. Currently lineup includes the 991TT, Ferrari 458, a Bentley and some other cars. He tells me that his father doesn't let him drive it, not even sit in it and he can only admired the car a feet away. It blows my mind, I can't comprehend it. It's your son, not a stranger. My gf now wife learned how to drive in my brand new eagle talon back in the days. She ran it into a tree. So you would think I am the last person to let anyone drive my cars again.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
There's more to the issue than you [and others] seem to recognize, and I am not going to detail it here. It has little to do with the car's value or replacement.
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
~William Shakespeare, Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78
Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

It's funny; I'd never even consider letting anyone besides me and my wife drive my car, any of them, even the pedestrian ones, because of liability.

Yet I autocross and have no problem tossing a friend the keys knowing full well they're going to thrash the crap out of it. Probably a dozen different people have driven my porsches, and I've offered co-drives to many more. I'd never let anyone else drive it on the track, though. Funny the difference context and perceived risk takes.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 AM
BBA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
I'm with you on that. Of course, the bargain hunter in me thinks/hopes that if Lotus bellies up, they'll be even better bargains?!? I just need to find a good indy for Lotus here in Dallas!
Sorry for the brief OT...T
He sends his car to Denver for service. It often takes weeks for parts to arrive from the UK. I would be terrified to own a Lotus if they go belly up, that's not going to get better.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when we go on vacation i give /offer the cars to a few neighbors [one is terrified to drive it and always says no but his wife wants it]. another neighbor 80years old had a blast in it for 2 weeks. if i trust ya.....have a ball.....if i dont ....you aint gettin the key its a car built at best by the evil elves from the black forest .....it aint built by the gods for the gods
Old 02-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
when we go on vacation i give /offer the cars to a few neighbors [one is terrified to drive it and always says no but his wife wants it]. another neighbor 80years old had a blast in it for 2 weeks. if i trust ya.....have a ball.....if i dont ....you aint gettin the key its a car built at best by the evil elves from the black forest .....it aint built by the gods for the gods
Jesus built my cars, no question.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:40 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." ~William Shakespeare, Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78
You probably already know that the primary and generally accepted interpretation of this line, in context, was in support of lawyers as upholding the rule of law and justice and that killing them would allow anarchy and disorder to prevail.

I'm not a lawyer.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

No. Simple. Most people don't drive manuals anymore - so that makes it an easy decision…

That said - I couldn't wait to hand the keys over to any of the HPDE instructors as long as they took me for a ride. I'm okay letting someone thrash my car - as long as they know how to do it.

Interesting dichotomy of hypocrisy.

Quick Reply: "Can I drive your car?"