Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Can I drive your car?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a little surprised at how many people don't let others drive their cars. If the person is not a complete idiot why not share the joy. It's not like 997s are 918s or something.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by 3point8
I'm a little surprised at how many people don't let others drive their cars. If the person is not a complete idiot why not share the joy. It's not like 997s are 918s or something.
The issue is not being averse to 'sharing the joy'. It is all about avoiding a potential liability issue should something happen, and then sharing the sorrow, or worse.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:52 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
The issue is not being averse to 'sharing the joy'. It is all about avoiding a potential liability issue should something happen, and then sharing the sorrow, or worse.
I could see your point if these were 900-HP monsters. But they are very controllable, middle of the road power these days, relatively easy to drive, which is why you see so many as DD's.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:12 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Esp. with PDK and with me in the pax seat.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:52 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Bugatti/918 comments don't make much sense to me... it's all relative and I'm certain that a 911 is a bigger share of the typical 911 buyer's net worth than a 918/Veyron is to those buyers, and could easily mean more to the individual. I could similarly imagine someone with a pristine civic, or something else, not wanting someone else drive their car.

As for me, at this time, no. I wouldn't let someone else drive it. I also don't ask / want to drive a car that means a lot to someone else. Part of my attitude is not wanting an incident harming a friendship. Another part of it is that my own respect level for others' property tends to be much higher than I usually see from others. At the same time, I offer up rides to friends all the time and will happily indulge them by mashing the gas a bit and letting the engine sing... In a few years, perhaps I'll be more chill and even let people bring food in my car... driving it, however? Doubtful.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What can possibly go wrong? 997's are not hard to drive, it has all the electronics to keep you going straight. None of my friends asked me yet, maybe b/c it's 6 speed and a lot of my friends can't row gears. Maybe b/c it looks expensive. I'm not sure but I would let anyone that I know by first name drive it given that he isn't reckless. My coworker asked and I let him drive it. He had the biggest smile I've seen since I known him. It's just a car and I liked to think people are responsible when they drive someone else's car. If they wreck it, that is what insurance is for. P1 and LaFerrari is a different question, any car with a seven figure price tag is excluded.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:55 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure my income is on the low end of avg rennlister so you might think when "I" manage to get even my humble base Carrera after 40 yrs of lust. I might be a bit ****. Well I AM about wash regimen etc but driving? After about a week of ownership, I drove her to work... I picked out 2-3 enthusiasts at the ofc & asked THEM if they'd like to drive it. They said yes and were seemingly as smiley to do that as I was to own her. I wasn't boasting or anything I was just so happy, I wanted to SHARE the thrill. I think it does make you a bit of a brand ambassador when you do that.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:55 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
If they wreck it, that is what insurance is for.
Kudos to you for living life with that spirit. :-) Then again, to the OP's question and given a username like "Ynot", I wouldn't expect any other answer!

I don't think this thread should be judgmental... just different priorities, preferences and risk tolerances.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Kudos to you for living life with that spirit. :-) Then again, to the OP's question and given a username like "Ynot", I wouldn't expect any other answer!

I don't think this thread should be judgmental... just different priorities, preferences and risk tolerances.

Agreed 100% So ya'll stop laughin about my 8 bucket ONR wash process dmanit... :-)
Old 02-24-2015, 07:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
What can possibly go wrong? 997's are not hard to drive, it has all the electronics to keep you going straight. ...
There's more to the issue than you [and others] seem to recognize, and I am not going to detail it here. It has little to do with the car's value or replacement.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM
dalancroft
Racer

I wait until they down a beverage and then say, "Oh, sorry, my wife only lets someone else drive if they're STONE COLD SOBER. Too bad."
Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Them: "Can I drive your car?"
Me: "You mean 'May I drive your car?'"
Them: "Okayyy, May I drive your car?"
Me: "No."
Old 02-24-2015, 08:38 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's more to the issue than you [and others] seem to recognize, and I am not going to detail it here. It has little to do with the car's value or replacement.
Maybe there is something we are not considering, can you expound? B/c so far the arguments against allowing people to drive seem all about safety and/or breaking or messing it up, which I think are not worth worrying so much about, personally, with a mid-range powered, well-constructed and (relatively) easy to drive car. But I am open minded if there is something I am missing and should be considering... I should mention I would definitely want to be in the passenger seat for "guidance" for most people.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 PM
thinklabinc
Advanced

Also I think someone mentioned that it is all relative to what a person is used to driving. For example the accelerator mapping for every car is different and driving someone else's car for the first time takes some getting used to, knowing there is a learning curve driving any car for the first time, etc.

In NJ, and I figure other states, collision coverage is tied to the car owner's insurance, even if someone else is driving your car.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the most expensive car I've ever owned ($117k with options) when it was new. Keep in mind I've only owned this car for less than 2 months, and due to the Winter, I haven't really driven it much. I guess when time goes by and the first Pcar experience wears off on me, I will let more of my friends drive it, but only the close ones that I trust the most.

Quick Reply: "Can I drive your car?"