Sponsored by:

997.2 Targa4 to 997.2 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:04 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts
Default 997.2 Targa4 to 997.2 C4S

Howdy all. I ended up moving into a local C4S which came up for sale, with lower miles than my Targa (45k vs. 95k). My other half didn't like the glass roof and the fact the car had high miles.

This C4S is also PDK, so I've been getting used to not moving my left leg the past two weeks when driving the car.

Having said that, I love them both in different ways. The S doesn't sound as sweet as the targa, but its faster at the top end. I also managed my first launch control start today which was fun When the C4S is in sport plus mode, the shifts are brutal! It has a few interesting options, like the aluminum package interior, illuminated door sills, dynamic lighting (which is incredible by the way) and rear wiper. It also has sport chono without the wart (which I prefer!).

I took at drive today to Stinson beach and had the dampers set in firm. What a difference that makes! Virtually no body roll.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying the new car immensely even with the PDK . I hope that I won't miss the manual as much as I think I might over time, but we'll see. Anyone else made the switch from PDK -> Manual or other way around like me?

Last edited by z3mcoupe; 10-10-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:17 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey Ronan

Nice! You may recall I went from a 996GT3 6-spd to the PDK GTS. I do miss the 6-spd, a lot! Really miss the involvement, even when in M using the paddles.

But because of my ankle, really had little choice. Still getting used to the PDK. Have put only about 4k miles on it since purchase in August. You're doing better than I, haven't done a launch control yet.

I did a launch when first introduced at a Porsche Experience event a few years back. Scared the P out of me. Had also done one in an S model when test driving trying to decide between the S and GTS.

I think the PDK will grow on me, but need more time with it.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:23 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice cars... not sure why one would sound different than other...both being .2's. Does old Targa have sport exhaust option?

Targas are cool but there is weight penalty... you'll LOVE PDK if you track. It totally reads your mind...
Old 02-15-2015, 08:38 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Great looking car (C4S)!! Sport mode without "wart" indicates prior owner added the software and button after delivery - sport mode is a "must have" with PDK. Enjoy the new drive.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:00 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Ronan, congrats on snagging the fat tush...she is a beauty!!!

Methinks the traffic was a bit brutal today to fully enjoy the C4S so I hope that the weather holds and the March 7 drive becomes reality.

In the meantime, enjoy in the best of health and I look forward to seeing you and your new ride soon...and if you need to row through a 6 speed, you are always welcome to borrow the white beast!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:29 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking car.

I have owned my C4S (cab) for two years and have not done the "launch".

Was it fun? and where did you do it?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:23 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats!!!

Nice looking ride!!
Old 02-16-2015, 12:04 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Hey Ronan

Nice! You may recall I went from a 996GT3 6-spd to the PDK GTS. I do miss the 6-spd, a lot! Really miss the involvement, even when in M using the paddles.

But because of my ankle, really had little choice. Still getting used to the PDK. Have put only about 4k miles on it since purchase in August. You're doing better than I, haven't done a launch control yet.

I did a launch when first introduced at a Porsche Experience event a few years back. Scared the P out of me. Had also done one in an S model when test driving trying to decide between the S and GTS.

I think the PDK will grow on me, but need more time with it.
Thanks Joe, I hope the same! The launch control is tricky, I will show you how to use it!

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Nice cars... not sure why one would sound different than other...both being .2's. Does old Targa have sport exhaust option?

Targas are cool but there is weight penalty... you'll LOVE PDK if you track. It totally reads your mind...
I intend to track it alright. The engines are different between the two cars , 3.6 and 3.8 and the intake noise is different as well as the exhaust. Both cars have the standard setups.

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Great looking car (C4S)!! Sport mode without "wart" indicates prior owner added the software and button after delivery - sport mode is a "must have" with PDK. Enjoy the new drive.
I saw that you can buy it from sun coast, I'm glad it was added because it was a 'must have' for me to buy a PDK car.

Originally Posted by david
Ronan, congrats on snagging the fat tush...she is a beauty!!!

Methinks the traffic was a bit brutal today to fully enjoy the C4S so I hope that the weather holds and the March 7 drive becomes reality.

In the meantime, enjoy in the best of health and I look forward to seeing you and your new ride soon...and if you need to row through a 6 speed, you are always welcome to borrow the white beast!
Looking forward to seeing you all on the 7th, and thanks for the offer. I was drooling over the white beast first time I saw it

Originally Posted by patpetillo
Nice looking car.

I have owned my C4S (cab) for two years and have not done the "launch".

Was it fun? and where did you do it?
Thanks it was fun I also switched off PSM. On a rural road near Point Reyes, I found a deserted stretch with no traffic and came to a halt. I had about a mile either side of me with no traffic in either direction.

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
Congrats!!!

Nice looking ride!!
Cheers! I will take better pics when I clean her, I'm too busy driving her now
Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 820 Posts

Congrats on the car. I went to the PDK with my C4S last September. Yeah I miss shifting. No I don't miss shifting. It's a state of mind thing.

West Marin was beautiful today, although a bit busy. The Sport Mode does set the suspension nicely for street driving even with the bumps on our twisties.

I am a new member to this group. I wish I could make the 2-21 and 3-7 drives and meet a bunch of you. Unfortunately, those are two of the four weekends between now and April that I'm committed to other endeavors. I will be thinking of those roads as you are enjoying them.

Be safe, and enjoy your fantastic new toy!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Ronan! Sweet ride, I'll bet you will appreciate the PDK on track for sure.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Craigw1926
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yours?

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Howdy all. I ended up moving into a local C4S which came up for sale, with lower miles than my Targa (45k vs. 95k). My other half didn't like the glass roof and the fact the car had high miles.

This C4S is also PDK, so I've been getting used to not moving my left leg the past two weeks when driving the car.

Having said that, I love them both in different ways. The S doesn't sound as sweet as the targa, but its faster at the top end. I also managed my first launch control start today which was fun When the C4S is in sport plus mode, the shifts are brutal! It has a few interesting options, like the aluminum package interior, illuminated door sills, dynamic lighting (which is incredible by the way) and rear wiper. It also has sport chono without the wart (which I prefer!).

I took at drive today to Stinson beach and had the dampers set in firm. What a difference that makes! Virtually no body roll.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying the new car immensely even with the PDK . I hope that I won't miss the manual as much as I think I might over time, but we'll see. Anyone else made the switch from PDK -> Manual or other way around like me?
So, I've been looking at a Blue/Tan 2009 Targa 4 in Tiburon. Didn't know much about the 997.2 engine so I hopped on the forums to check out reliability. First thread I come across turns out to be your targa for sale, I think?
-Craig
Old 03-15-2015, 06:50 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Hey Craig, that is my car. Mike is a friend of mine and he buys/sells cars so I decided to use him to sell the Targa. I believe you are looking at the car on Tuesday, enjoy it!

Feel free to PM me if you've any questions.

Ronan

Last edited by z3mcoupe; 03-15-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:29 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

z3mcoupe,

The post from Craig establishes that your Targa is a 2009. What model year is the C4S?
Old 03-15-2015, 11:52 PM
Craigw1926
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default :)

Hey Craig, that is my car. Mike is a friend of mine and he buys/sells cars so I decided to use him to sell the Targa. I believe you are looking at the car on Tuesday, enjoy it!

Feel free to PM me if you've any questions.

Ronan
Thanks, Ronan. I'm excited about it. It was really nice to come across this threat and here good things about my potential new car. I sold my last couple Porsches for down payments on houses in the last coupe years. I'm excited to get another one. I can only have so much fun in my Prius. Lol
-Craig
Old 03-16-2015, 10:19 AM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having said that, I love them both in different ways. The S doesn't sound as sweet as the targa
No exhaust or airbox mods on the Targa? What do you think made it sound sweeter?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Targa4 to 997.2 C4S