Sponsored by:

LED Side marker Lights.. from eBay

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Side marker Lights.. from eBay

I liked the look of these more than some of the more expensive side marker LED lights. And at $40/pair they were the same price as the clear incandescent bulb side marker lights. So here is a couple really crappy pictures to show the difference. Will see how long they hold up but initial impression is they are decent quality and they look really nice. They match my LED front driving light bulbs perfectly too.

Before

After
Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

And I know my garage is messy. It is home to my bikes also and space is limited. Here's another bad quality pic of the car with lights off. I love my Carrera. 2nd Porsche I've owned. Just sold my BMW M6 to get it. Just installed my Alpine W940 last weekend. I'll start another post about comments on the Alpine soon.....

Old 02-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you barely cleared the garage door. Pull it up a little lol!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it! What kind of bulbs are you using for the fog/driving lights?

Ken
Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Looks great, OP! Any pics at night (outside)? Ebay link?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken968
I like it! What kind of bulbs are you using for the fog/driving lights?

Ken
+ 1. That is really a nice light. Please detail what you've got there.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do those new lights throw errors?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Not the vendor I bought from but it looks like the same lights: http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-911-997-...5cdcde&vxp=mtr

They did not throw codes, however my front parking lights did. Not a big deal to me as within 2 quick clicks on the function lever the codes are not noticeable. I like the look of the driving/parking LEDs and they were roughly $12/pair. I used the same LEDs in my interior with no codes. My license plate LEDs did have to be fitted with the CanBus LEDs to work, but they were relatively inexpensive too. I'm somewhat of a LED freak as I install them on bikes, etc. I'll try to get some more pics in the next few days when the rain stops.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

Any chance of trouble with the police because the side marker lights aren't amber?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:16 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Any chance of trouble with the police because the side marker lights aren't amber?
From my understanding, non yellow lights don't meet DOT requirements in the USA. Technically the lense also has to be yellow, so a lot of us are outside the law. How much does this matter? I'm keeping my clear lenses and will change to the clear bulbs as well when I have a part number. I had an uncle who was a sheriff. He pointed out more than once that he could pull anyone over for some infraction of some sort if he were inclined. I've got the ambers in the garage should I need to do a (temporary) fix-it. But I will honor the wisdom of the Forum in the meantime. Big deal!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
From my understanding, non yellow lights don't meet DOT requirements in the USA. Technically the lense also has to be yellow, so a lot of us are outside the law. How much does this matter? I'm keeping my clear lenses and will change to the clear bulbs as well when I have a part number. I had an uncle who was a sheriff. He pointed out more than once that he could pull anyone over for some infraction of some sort if he were inclined. I've got the ambers in the garage should I need to do a (temporary) fix-it. But I will honor the wisdom of the Forum in the meantime. Big deal!!!
In Texas the requirement is for an amber reflector, not amber bulb. I was pulled over for no front plate and DPS trooper also wrote up no amber reflector (I had the Porsche euro clear markers with amber bulbs) and even though it was day right and the lights were on and showing bright amber I still got the warning.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:21 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

you have to use error free LED, commonly available on internet. You get the blueish white color match of a HID xenon light. I have had clear side markers on 6 or 8 cars for the last 10 yrs and never any complaints but its a DOT requirement for cars to have red side marker on rear side and amber on front side
Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I would be surprised if a police officer would actually stop a car and issue a ticket for having side markers that aren't amber. That being said, I could see a police officer who stopped a car for another offense adding another violation for the markers. I was just curious.

They look nice in the white, that's for sure!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C

I would be surprised if a police officer would actually stop a car and issue a ticket for having side markers that aren't amber. That being said, I could see a police officer who stopped a car for another offense adding another violation for the markers. I was just curious.

They look nice in the white, that's for sure!
+ 1 as I see it.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

In NC (and most states) there is a misconception as to what the laws are about side marker light colors. Even some police officers are uninformed. White or amber is acceptable. The law in NC is as such:

19A NCAC 03D .0537 DIRECTIONAL SIGNALS
(a) G.S. 20-125.1 requires all vehicles except motorcycles beginning with the 1954 models to be equipped with turn signals. (b) Vehicles required to have signals shall be inspected and disapproved if:
(1) Signals are not present and of a type approved by the Commissioner as specified in G.S. 20-125.1. Original directional signals on vehicles manufactured after July 1, 1953, are considered to be of a type approved by
the Commissioner. Such signals shall be those which will allow the operator of the vehicle to clearly show
another operator approaching from a distance of 200 feet from the front or rear his intention to turn the
vehicle.
(2) All lights do not operate properly, or if any lenses are broken, missing, or do not fit properly.
(3) Signal lens color is other than red or amber on the rear and other than white or amber on the front.

Quick Reply: LED Side marker Lights.. from eBay