Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   my 17 year old really really wants to drive my new (to me) 997 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/857644-my-17-year-old-really-really-wants-to-drive-my-new-to-me-997-a.html)

optistar 02-08-2015 04:07 PM

my 17 year old really really wants to drive my new (to me) 997

what should I do. ?
he's bad.. we tried a couple times and he didnt get it.

can I rent a wreck and teach him?
my 997 w 65k miles received a new clutch at 57k miles.
will I hurt my car?

997_Toronto 02-08-2015 04:14 PM

Yes!!!! The boy will burn the clutch.

Just kiddin...great father-son bonding moment. I taught my GF how to drive my Pcar but to her credit she rides motorcycles and has the concept of how a clutch works.

Renting is a wreck is a great idea too (it's what I suggested to GF just before I got the 'look').

Comanche_699 02-08-2015 04:38 PM

Absolutely let him learn on the 997!

When he's older he can say, "my dad was so cool, he taught me to drive stick on his beloved Porsche"

And who knows, he may wind up teaching his son on the exact same one some day. (Although probably a newer clutch by then...)

Slamuth 02-08-2015 04:43 PM

Oh boy. I suppose the right answer depends on your patience level. For me, no thank you. I've already had the wife hint that she'd like to try learning with the Pcar, but I suggested the rental car option. For me, that would save my clutch and marriage. :)

DC911S 02-08-2015 04:49 PM

Go buy the high mileage C2S at Tysons, listed for high 20's and let him beat on that.

ltcjmramos 02-08-2015 05:05 PM

I gave my grandson a similar gift for his 16th birthday, but after he completed the NASA teen driving course. Easier experience for me with my GTS having PDK. :)

secondshot 02-08-2015 06:14 PM

I say go for it. Start him on a downhill with no traffic. It makes it a lot easier. He can't "get it" unless he has a chance to practice. Of course, I am quite liberal with my courage at your expense.

phaphaphooey 02-08-2015 06:20 PM

My father taught me to drive stick in his 3.2 Carrera Supersport. My grandfather crammed in the back as well. It took innumerable stalls but I finally got the hang of it. The car was no worse for the wear and never needed a new clutch while he owned it. Furthermore, it is a very fond memory, particularly since my grandfather has since passed away. My father being so generous with his cars is what turned me into the car nut I am today, for better or worse.

Turbodan 02-08-2015 06:23 PM

I would sign him up for a course for a couple hundred bucks let him learn on someone elses car and let them teach him and if he gets it let him drive the 997 but be sure to lock the keys (seriously) when not driving. He and his friends are teenagers.

optistar 02-08-2015 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Turbodan (Post 12024188)
I would sign him up for a course for a couple hundred bucks let him learn on someone elses car and let them teach him and if he gets it let him drive the 997 but be sure to lock the keys (seriously) when not driving. He and his friends are teenagers.

Right.....ferris buelers day off!

dalancroft 02-08-2015 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Comanche_699 (Post 12023981)
he may wind up teaching his son on the exact same one some day. (Although probably a newer clutch by then...)

Naw, unfortunately it will be an electric car with CVT.........

dalancroft 02-08-2015 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by optistar (Post 12023932)
what should I do. ?
he's bad.. we tried a couple times and he didnt get it.

can I rent a wreck and teach him?
my 997 w 65k miles received a new clutch at 57k miles.
will I hurt my car?

WAAAAY better than the '64 VW Beetle with a 1.0L, 40HP engine *I* learned on!

utkinpol 02-08-2015 09:39 PM

997 clutch is not easy to kill. Teach him to bring revs to 2500 and drop clutch from there stepping on gas same time. Then bring it lower. Even my wife got it from first try. To learn to depress clutch at the lights stop is more difficult.

On other side of things - to give 17 yr old a 997 is same like to give a loaded gun to 6 yr old. He may be fine but a chance to end up with brains on a wall is also quite high.

If you have spare cash get him an old miata.

Mumbles 02-08-2015 09:44 PM

Go rent a decent stick shift small engine car. Take him to the country roads and let him try without having to watch for lights and traffic. Slowly work him into the city.

After a thorough weekend of driving the rental give him a go at the P. He'd probably thank you for it.

Wayne Smith 02-08-2015 10:27 PM

A car is a car, your son is your son. Only one can't be replaced. I am not here to tell you which is which!

2500 rpm as a starting point is a great idea. So is locking up the key later. So is the Miata (only one passenger at a time to distract him).

Good luck. This is a great bonding opportunity. But handle it wrong and, well, don't handle it wrong!

The car is more durable than you may realize, and the clutch is a replaceable item (oops, I just leaked the answer to the first paragraph)!