Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   LED Interior Kit Install this weekend (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/856966-led-interior-kit-install-this-weekend.html)

hammerdown 02-04-2015 11:38 AM

LED Interior Kit Install this weekend

I purchased the LED Conversion Kit from Suncoast this week and plan to install it this weekend. This will be my first project on the Pcar.

In reading a few other threads here, I know that these cars have sensitive electronics and i would HATE to get into a "which fuze is blown" scenerio. Do you guys think I should disconnect the battery prior to replacing the lights?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MessyMarvin 02-04-2015 12:26 PM

I do not recall disconnecting the battery, just change the bulbs out. Mine made a big difference, this mod was well worth the money.

Good Luck!!!

semicycler 02-04-2015 12:47 PM

+1, not necessary to disconnect the battery

Also be sure the LED's light up before putting it back together. Unlike regular bulbs, LED's have a polarity. If it doesn't light, rotate it 180 degrees.

Edgy01 02-04-2015 03:57 PM

This thread is useless without photos of your car.

porterror 02-04-2015 04:09 PM

Any picture documentation would be very helpful. I'm doing this in the spring.

hammerdown 02-04-2015 04:18 PM

They have instructions on their website (see here). Thanks for the feedback on the battery. I'll snap some pics of my progress when I do it.

3putt4DG 02-04-2015 06:16 PM

Very easy and very much worth it. I changed out my tag lights for LED at the same time I did the interior. I think you are going to like it a lot when you get done.

Supermode 02-04-2015 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed my LED interior kit from Suncoast not too long ago. I did not have to disconnect the battery. All you need is a pocket screw driver and a plastic pick. I used this as a guide

Best interior mod you can do to these cars. I don't know why they didn't come with them standard. Sorry for the crappy pics.

gota911 02-04-2015 06:52 PM

As others have already stated, you do not need to disconnect the battery. I did this same mod about 9 months ago and love the resulting increase in interior lighting.

espanolie 02-04-2015 07:03 PM

perhaps a dumb question, but can be done to 993 & 996?

hammerdown 02-05-2015 12:20 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for the video Supermode. The video is way better than the static PDF they supply for instructions!

I'm happy to hear that everyone loves the mod. I actually have a the driver's side dome light out so this will be a dramatic improvement in interior light.

Supermode 02-05-2015 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by hammerdown (Post 12015515)
Thanks for the video Supermode. The video is way better than the static PDF they supply for instructions!

I'm happy to hear that everyone loves the mod. I actually have a the driver's side dome light out so this will be a dramatic improvement in interior light.

The only difference between the Suncoast kit and the video is Suncoast provides the 3 housing units for both the footwells and and glove box instead of just replacing the torpedoes. Simple install! Post pics when you're done!

ECS Tuning 02-06-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by espanolie (Post 12013757)
perhaps a dumb question, but can be done to 993 & 996?

We have kits for the 996, but for the 993 we only offer the License Plate Light kit. I'm sure it can be done for the 993 though, we just haven't fitted them yet.

PVKPorsche 02-06-2015 12:49 PM

If you change the front light in the front trunk, be careful because that one is sensitive and mine shorted out, which I discovered is not tied to a fuse. Its tied to the control module and that has to be reset. Other than that one, the others are easy, quick in and out.

3Series 02-06-2015 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by pkancel (Post 12018588)
If you change the front light in the front trunk, be careful because that one is sensitive and mine shorted out, which I discovered is not tied to a fuse. Its tied to the control module and that has to be reset. Other than that one, the others are easy, quick in and out.

Can you elaborate on being careful?

I changed all my bulbs to LED with a cheap $30 kit from ebay. The map lights and one of the footwell lights shorted out. They actually burned. The heads of the two map lights separated from the base, that's how hot it got. I kind of expected this since the kit is cheap and the install was a pain because the 194 bulbs had to be seated just right or they wouldn't come on.

However, the frunk is a festoon bulb and there isn't much you can do regarding the contacts.

I replaced the 194 wedge bulbs with higher quality bulbs from Amazon and they fit perfectly without having the adjust the bulb in the holder.