997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why you should DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I completely understand that some folks don't DIY their cars.

Personally, I really enjoy understanding how the car works and basic stuff like oil changes, brakes, filter replacements, flushing fluids, I do that myself both because I enjoy it and because I like knowing that it was done correctly.

When I purchased my first modern Porsche (08 Cayman) , as a pre-owned car a few years ago,-from a Porsche dealer, I remember seeing what the dealer charged them-selves for work on the car.

Oil Change- 400
Brakes- pads and rotors- over 1,000 for 1 axel

That to me was just insane, I can't justify those prices
Old 01-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

I've driven many places where I haven't seen another human for a day or more. Out in the boonies you have to count on yourself to get home. I repaired the carb on an old van with the ball from a pen at 2 am in the Arizona desert once. Many other stories as well. I've seen places and things many won't ever see that way.

But in fairness, cars are more reliable than humans these days. DIY, or don't. It's cool ... But I still can't bring myself to trust others when I'm piloting a 3000 pound lethal weapon!
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

I DIY because I'm cheap and because I enjoy working on my cars. I've been wrenching on them my whole adult life, basically - but just for fun, not professionally. As my work (and before then, my post secondary education) is all about reading and writing and exercising my mind, I enjoy getting my hands dirty and working a different part of my head, but also working with my hands. There's also a very nice sense of satisfaction from having performed a task on one's own, whether it's a simple as an oil change or more involved like, say, changing out valve springs or an engine swap. The best is installing new go-fast stuff; the worst is repairing broken crap. Working on broken crap in the middle of winter is the absolute worst.

Anyway, doing a lot of DIY stuff has meant I've spent piles more on performance parts than if I had to pay someone to install them, but it's also meant savings thousands on labour costs. On the other hand, it's taken up a lot of time in the garage too!
Old 01-26-2015, 05:24 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Years ago when I lived in different apartment buildings - working on your car wasn't allowed. Taking it to a garage, sometimes the dealer, was the most convenient option. I hated it.

On various visits to the dealer and garages during that time I found: Fasteners not fastened, tools left behind, spilled oil/fluids, broken components (without having been mentioned to me after the fact), work outlined out on the service order but not performed, scratches and one very ugly dent. This wasn't one place but four different shops, (two different dealers and two different indys) and a couple of different cars of mine.

I like to do the work myself for many of the reasons mentioned above, nobody is going to take the time and attention to detail underneath your car like you are.

I have found one very good Indy shop that I will take my car to when I run into something way over my head or for tools I just don't have.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only do the DIY on my Porsche. Main reason is the ROI on my time is never greater than on on my Porsche and I also know that it was done right as well as cleanly. Brakes, oil changes, air and cabin filters, brake fluid fluch, and serpentine belt are about the extent of what I'm willing to tackle.

Doing a DIY oil change on my C4S only cost me about $65 in material for the oil filter and washer, the same job would cost about $250 from my dealer so definitely worth my time and I don't have to worry about anyone with oily clothes sitting on my seats.

Doing a DIY oil change on my DD car (an Acura) would cost about $20 (not synthetic) and I can get it done from Jiffy Lube for about $35 so for $15 more I'll set them do it.

Same thing with the brakes, huge ROI on diy. The brake pads and rotors on a 997.2 is so easy to change I couldn't bear to let the dealer charge what they do for a pad and rotor change. I like to take the money I save and put in to what I consider premium materials for the job like using Motul X-cess instead of Mobil 1 or using Castrol SRF brake fluid instead of ATE Type 200 fluid. Not trying to start another oil or brake fluid debate, it's just how I like to put the money I save with DIY back into the car.

Quick Reply: Why you should DIY