Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deal or no deal? salvage title cab, no history...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Many years ago my daughter's Honda got rear ended. She opted to keep the salvaged title car believing I could fix it. Problem was, no matter what I was going to do, California was going to fail it during inspection due to the risk that carbon monoxide might enter at the hatchback. I investigated first before working on the car. Even body shops wouldn't touch it when I explained the situation.

Tread carefully.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
Source? Because I've never heard of that before. Most states will issue a "rebuilt from salvage" title after an inspection, some will actually issue a standard title.

I've also heard "you can't get full coverage" on a salvaged vehicle, but I did on a salvage title truck.
Correct and if your car does not pass the inspection no registration.

That is awesome becasue the norm is limited coverage on salvaged vehicles.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:25 PM
MountainMan33
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the guy and chatted with him. Nice guy.

I explained I would pay about 15-16k after a PPI and he basically said someone had already offer 21K and would likely accept it.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:48 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Many years ago my daughter's Honda got rear ended. She opted to keep the salvaged title car believing I could fix it. Problem was, no matter what I was going to do, California was going to fail it during inspection due to the risk that carbon monoxide might enter at the hatchback. I investigated first before working on the car. Even body shops wouldn't touch it when I explained the situation. Tread carefully.
Yeah, but every consumer item on earth is also "known to the state of California to cause cancer". That wouldn't be an issue in the real world.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy

Yeah, but every consumer item on earth is also "known to the state of California to cause cancer". That wouldn't be an issue in the real world.
The lesson my daughter learned was that you should never park on a curve! The car was junked. BTW, California does have smog inspections but no annual safety inspections.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:55 PM
MountainMan33
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 more details on this...

1. The gentleman selling it (representing the late estate) said the owner had 3 salvaged title vehicles.

Also... he couldn't find out why it was salvaged because the deceased owner bought it salvaged.

Long story short... Lots of inspecting to do.

2. The gentleman selling it (representing the late estate) is currently driving it around as a daily driver.

3. There is no 3. Why are you ready this?

Quick Reply: deal or no deal? salvage title cab, no history...