Sponsored by:

Nav/Radio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 AM
Jeff Kowalenko
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcourtney997
I'm back to making. decision here. Anybody have the new pioneer with Android Auto?
I just picked up a Pioneer 4100NEX with android auto and will be doing an install into my 2006 in the next couple weeks. I am just waiting for my Euro-Motorsport Bose conversion/install kit to arrive. The 4100NEX is basically the same as the 8100NEX except it doesn't have built-in NAV, instead you use Android Auto or Car Play for NAV. Its about half the price too! I powered it up and upgraded the firmware, played with Android Auto and setup the Porsche boot screen and background. I think this unit is going to be great. I will post up pictures and review once I'm done the install.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:26 AM
jcourtney997
Advanced

Nice, I was hoping the Nav was the only difference. I'll likely go the same route then.

My shop here (Earmark) will upgrade the amp for only $300 more than the Bose conversion. Says sound level will improve quite a bit.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:46 PM
flohmann
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Kowalenko
I just picked up a Pioneer 4100NEX with android auto and will be doing an install into my 2006 in the next couple weeks. I am just waiting for my Euro-Motorsport Bose conversion/install kit to arrive. The 4100NEX is basically the same as the 8100NEX except it doesn't have built-in NAV, instead you use Android Auto or Car Play for NAV. Its about half the price too! I powered it up and upgraded the firmware, played with Android Auto and setup the Porsche boot screen and background. I think this unit is going to be great. I will post up pictures and review once I'm done the install.
Jeff, did you ever complete this install? I'm thinking of the same for my 996tt, would love to see photos of it installed. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2015, 02:40 PM
OldBoldPilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flohmann
Jeff, did you ever complete this install? I'm thinking of the same for my 996tt, would love to see photos of it installed. Thanks!
I'm not Jeff, but I just had this unit installed in my '08 C2S Cab a couple of days ago and couldn't be happier. I'm still playing with the myriad settings but so far everything seems to work as advertised. You can be the judge of how it looks:

Old 08-23-2015, 08:37 AM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
I'm not Jeff, but I just had this unit installed in my '08 C2S Cab a couple of days ago and couldn't be happier. I'm still playing with the myriad settings but so far everything seems to work as advertised. You can be the judge of how it looks:

Looks amazing. Can you post some details on the process? Did you just buy the trim kit and the 4100 unit or was there more? I'm thinking of getting the trim kit with connector from Suncoast and then the NEX and making this a DYI project with my son but am worried that I'm missing some things.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:07 AM
OldBoldPilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Looks amazing. Can you post some details on the process? Did you just buy the trim kit and the 4100 unit or was there more? I'm thinking of getting the trim kit with connector from Suncoast and then the NEX and making this a DYI project with my son but am worried that I'm missing some things.
I had it installed by a (relatively) local shop in L.A., Del Rey Customs. I'm pretty sure that they used the kit from Euroautospeed on eBay. Whether or not you have Bose makes a big difference in cost. If you do, you'll need the $750 optic connector kit; if not, you can get by with the much less expensive kit, either of which includes the dash kit.

If you want to DIY, I suggest you give a call to Del Rey Customs, as they supply everything you need (I have absolutely no affiliation with them). Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:34 PM
rombo60
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...crap-bose.html
Old 09-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Jeff Kowalenko
6th Gear

flohmann, sorry for the late reply here! Been on vacation and haven't been checking in.

Like others have mentioned, if you have the Bose stereo and you just want to swap head units you need the NAV-TV MOST-HUR-997 fiber optic interface box. Basically it connects to the fiber optic network, power and the CAN bus all using factory connections. The MOST-HUR box then has a pig tail that has all the wires needed to connect to the head unit including park brake, lights, etc. so you do not have to splice any factory wires, just plug and play. I got my box from Loi at Euro Motorspeed and I can not say enough about the great customer service I had from him. I initially had a problem with the MOST-HUR box that I received where it did not output any sound. Loi spent a couple hours on the phone with me on the weekend to try and get it sorted out, then I also did some troubleshooting with the NAV-TV folks who finally determined the box must have a problem. Loi rushed me a new unit at no charge and I was up and running with the new box. Needless to say, I was getting good at removing and installing head units by the time I was done troubleshooting everything haha. From start to finish the initial install took me about 2 hours. Now I can swap head units in about 15 minutes lol.

My finished product looks the same as above and I am really loving the NEX-4100 and Android Auto. I would definitely do it again!

Hope that helps.
Jeff
Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 PM
pkaufman
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread. Thinking about this - would really like 3 things: music streaming via Bluetooth (most important), backup camera (less important) and Carplay for phone navigation even though it's Apple Maps and not Waze or Google Maps. Unfortunately, have PCM 3.0, Navi, and Bose so it would be expensive. Mobridge products are not compatible (yet...).

The biggest question I have, especially for those who have changed head units and esp. on a 997.2 - do you lose functionality on either the dashboard multifunction display or from what is on the PCM unit now?
Old 04-04-2017, 12:34 PM
MichaelC4
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Subscribed, my head unit will randomly switch to a local Christian music station. Odd....
Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 160 Posts

You must be doing something bad for that to happen....
Old 04-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pkaufman
Resurrecting an old thread. Thinking about this - would really like 3 things: music streaming via Bluetooth (most important), backup camera (less important) and Carplay for phone navigation even though it's Apple Maps and not Waze or Google Maps. Unfortunately, have PCM 3.0, Navi, and Bose so it would be expensive.
I have PCM 2.1 BOSE, wanted the same things you do. I put in a Tranzit-Blu HF, it was easy and inexpensive. It utilizes the phone's screen for the maps visual however, it does stream the voice commands through the speakers.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:05 PM
pkaufman
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump again on these questions:
The biggest question I have, especially for those who have changed head units and esp. on a 997.2 - do you lose functionality on either the dashboard multifunction display or from what is on the PCM unit now?
and one more:
Are there settings for the car currently on the PCM 3.0 that will be lost changing the head unit (Bose, so would be using NAV-TV)?
Old 04-17-2017, 03:32 PM
beyondthegrave77
Intermediate

Pkaufman,
I am in the middle of removing my PCM in my 997.2 and upgrading to a newer android type one.

I have removed the PCM and all the steering wheel stalk functions still work the same( tire pressure,current mpg, miles left until tank empty, etc, as well as the main Oil, Service, TPM, options. Only the AUDIO option for me currently is saying "not connected" to PCM.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:41 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 997.2, BOSE with MOST-HUR + Pioneer AVH-4000NEX + Navigation.
You only lose the ability to display music/radio information on the dashboard as far as I remember.
You also lose the Porsche auto-levelling in the music at different car speed/engine noise whatever they call it. A pain if you don't have multi-function steering wheel control working with the aftermarket unit.

Quick Reply: Nav/Radio Upgrade