Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr Paintchip on Alpine Silver C2S - Worked great!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Bepe
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dr Paintchip on Alpine Silver C2S - Worked great!

I've read a lot of reviews that Dr Paintchip will give subpar results on lighter color cars, especially light color metallic paints. Alpine Silver seemed to be the worst possible candidate. Because of this I've been avoiding dealing with some chips, but after seeing a friends chip start to peel I decided I had to bite the bullet.

The good news is it worked great! [/B] I mean really far better than I had hoped. The color match was perfect and it was surprisingly easy to use. I want to emphasize here that I am extremely not handy or skilled at painting, etc. I am, however, super OCD, so it probably took me longer, but I got great results (unfortunately I forgot to take before / after pictures). From certain angles you can still see there is a chip because the paint isn't perfectly flush, but the color is great and it just doesn't look as damaged.

A few things that worked well for me:

1. I bought the kit with the tiny squeegee. It worked better than finger smearing IMO (I practiced on an old bicycle to get the feel of the paint)

2. After I did the smear I immediately wiped as much excess around the chip as possible, since I didn't trust the removal liquid to not leave excess. I'm not sure if this was necessary, but it worked.

3. I did 5 repeats in 5 minute intervals. The first round was very disappointing, but from the second application forward it got better and better. This got me to about 80% of where I want to be. I think I'll do more tomorrow, but want to give it a day to see if that's even necessary.

I hope this helps people with light colored cars. Curious to hear any tips others may have.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Hmmm...methinks that you mean Dr. Colorchip and my experience mirrors yours as going slow and repeating the process many times over a few days is the best way to repair the chip, at least on light colored cars.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Bepe
Track Day

Default Correction Dr Colorchip

Sorry, you're correct! I was so excited I didn't ruin my car I forgot.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Super testimonial for a silver car, because this is on my Spring to-do list. If you decide to share even an "after" pic, that would be great.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the report.

I bought my Dr. Colorchip kit with Meteor Gray Metallic paint last week and plan to do my chip touch-up later this week.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Pics please for anyone who does this. I'm considering this as well. Would love some before/after pics ....
Old 01-19-2015, 12:59 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Pics please for anyone who does this. I'm considering this as well. Would love some before/after pics ....
x2 on before/after pics!

Quick Reply: Dr Paintchip on Alpine Silver C2S - Worked great!