Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to fill up the tank and clicks too soon. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

Just picked up the gas filler ring. Part Number 997 201 944 00. $7.23 at my local dealer. Slid right on, looking like nothing (snake oil, so to speak).

Pulled into a known difficult pump at Chevron. Calculated expected fuel requirement based on miles, mpg, range, and gauge (10 gallons). Started filling at full delivery with the handle in normal orientation. Pump clicked off at exactly 10.0 gallons. The gauge indicated full as I drove away.

This is not scientific until there is a lot more data, but this first try has me very encouraged!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I think the problem on the 997 is not the vapour gas alone. As mentioned before in this thread - the angle if the pipe is also a problem. I also have no issue if I turn the handle. For me, this has been the main issue. I also rotate the handle to make it work
I think you are right. In CA there's that and the sealing with the nozzle. I suspect the ring will make it easy to make the nozzle happy, but as far as gas flow, I think we still need to rotate the nozzle at least 90deg pointing it to the front of the car.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Just picked up the gas filler ring. Part Number 997 201 944 00. $7.23 at my local dealer. Slid right on, looking like nothing (snake oil, so to speak).

Pulled into a known difficult pump at Chevron. Calculated expected fuel requirement based on miles, mpg, range, and gauge (10 gallons). Started filling at full delivery with the handle in normal orientation. Pump clicked off at exactly 10.0 gallons. The gauge indicated full as I drove away.

This is not scientific until there is a lot more data, but this first try has me very encouraged!
That is good. From your observation, shape of the ring, etc. what do you think the ring does as far as mating with the nozzle cup?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

The ring sits almost flush to the end of the filler tube. It has small depth notches around the edge. The picture in a previous entry is quite accurate. It is fully covered by the gas cap. It literally just slides on.

To look at it you would think it would do nothing. I'm keeping reservations, and credit FM for the fact that it seemed to work the first time. But I now also am reserving hope for the second and third times.

I specifically did not rotate the nozzle for my first test. I have had to rotate nozzles on my Lotus cars (Loti?), Triumphs, and a special gas tank I welded up for another car. I understand this mantra and the need to get the flow going in the least restrictive direction to minimize back up. But I have not done this at all for the 911. Mine is a 997.2 C4S with larger tank than the RWD cars and that may make a difference. There could also be a difference between 997.2 and 997.1 cars.

Again, I have filled up once and only once. This is not scientific yet, but it is cheap and simple. It is an add on. The dealer does keep several of these in stock. That should be worth something.

And the person who brought this ring to our attention obviously has had some success as well or it would not have been pointed out!

As is said often here, YMMV!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:08 PM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be that the ring with notches is to create ventilation for the gas vapor to escape so is not to trigger the pump shutoff feature. Specially when the tank is nearly full as the gas pressure started to build up.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I purchased one of these as well today (same part # as Wayne) and from what was explained to me by a highly competent service manager (Russell Fong) at Sonnen, the sleeve causes the neck of the nozzle to sit just a touch higher, which allows more venting.

After the install, I used a pump that I had previous success with, however there was a perceptive change while filling the tank and I believe that I was able to put the maximum about of fuel in the tank without overfilling.

I look forward to seeing whether all pumps that I stumble upon during my travels will now work.

Thanks for the lead to this solution!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by david
... the sleeve causes the neck of the nozzle to sit just a touch higher, which allows more venting. ...
Interesting. That is what I thought looking at the ring design. But... that venting sure looks like bypasses CARB's senseless vapor recirculation design. But if it works for us, fine, as I doubt there are any significant vapors escaping to the atmosphere during fueling. These regulations are just nuts.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:47 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ADias
Interesting. That is what I thought looking at the ring design. But... that venting sure looks like bypasses CARB's senseless vapor recirculation design. But if it works for us, fine, as I doubt there are any significant vapors escaping to the atmosphere during fueling. These regulations are just nuts.
Yup however I was wondering whether this will cause issues with the bi-annual smog test? Perhaps it will be best to remove the sleeve at testing time...
Old 01-17-2015, 11:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by david
Yup however I was wondering whether this will cause issues with the bi-annual smog test? Perhaps it will be best to remove the sleeve at testing time...
The ring should not affect proper tightening of the fuel cap. Maybe you are referring to a smog station visual inspection... I doubt any of their operators sees any difference.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:29 PM
rossocorsa33
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the ring pictured above from Pelican. Helps for the California vapor sleeves. $8.

OEM-99720194400 Genuine Porsche Part: ADAPTER,
Old 01-18-2015, 02:55 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

I got the ring not too long after I purchased my 2008 C2S Cab 2 1/2 years ago. I found out about it in another thread here on Rennlist and have recommended in other threads since. I got it for free when I had my car in the dealership for other service and after receiving the estimate (minus PCA discount) specifically asked if they would throw this ring in, which they did.

It most definitely *improves* the problems, making many (if not most) nozzles work they way you would expect, but I have occasionally run into a nozzle with the early shut-off problem, anyway. Flipping the nozzle 180 degrees (12 o'clock) still works in those situations.

Now that I have found a superior indy and use them instead, I would be glad to buy this part from Suncoast, for all the annoyance it has saved.

With respect to WA state smog inspections, it has proven to be a non-issue. The gas cap still seals correctly, and the OBDII readings are completely normal.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:31 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the confirmation about the non-issue vis-a-vis smog inspections!

Originally Posted by JustinCase
I got the ring not too long after I purchased my 2008 C2S Cab 2 1/2 years ago. I found out about it in another thread here on Rennlist and have recommended in other threads since. I got it for free when I had my car in the dealership for other service and after receiving the estimate (minus PCA discount) specifically asked if they would throw this ring in, which they did.

It most definitely *improves* the problems, making many (if not most) nozzles work they way you would expect, but I have occasionally run into a nozzle with the early shut-off problem, anyway. Flipping the nozzle 180 degrees (12 o'clock) still works in those situations.

Now that I have found a superior indy and use them instead, I would be glad to buy this part from Suncoast, for all the annoyance it has saved.

With respect to WA state smog inspections, it has proven to be a non-issue. The gas cap still seals correctly, and the OBDII readings are completely normal.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

There is value in repetition and passing information along. Thanks to all of you in the chain of information on this ring!

If this is as good as it seems, I wonder why it isn't included from new. It could be due to a 50 state compliance problem.

The ring does hide, but every state is different and every inspection station may vary. The station I go to (Petaluma, CA) is run by an enthusiast. He was all over my car. The ring probably does not matter, but it is so easy to put on and take off that I figure the only reason not to remove it before an inspection would be forgetfulness.

Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:46 PM
will gaston
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what causes this is that the dispenser nozzles are not kept clean by the service stations. It's a PITA. Thanks, CARB.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Just got the ring and official instructions (see below). Forgive handheld quick photo:

Quick Reply: Going to fill up the tank and clicks too soon. Help?