Sponsored by:

Cracks in center console

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cracks in center console

I noticed 2 small cracks across my ash tray lid on my center console. It is in carbon fiber. It was not caused by any kind of force, it just started out as a hairline crack and it eventually turned in to this. If you run your fingers across it, you won't feel it so it must be from the inside. Will this be covered by my warranty?
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 PM
laneskelton
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very common problem with the Porsche factory carbon. If it's not covered by the factory warranty, we can sell you one of our ashtray covers in matching carbon.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Supermode
Racer

I went over to your website and you have some great stuff. I couldnt find the ash tray lid. How much is it in case my warranty doesnt cover it? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:01 PM
TheLex
Instructor

Unless I'm missing it, I don't see an ashtray cover on your website.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Supermode
Racer

Good news. Its covered by my warranty.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I do believe it's covered under warranty but it will likely happen again. If your car spends any time in the sun the UV seems to break down the carbon fiber they use on their interiors and they eventually crack. It will get worse too, eventually you'll be able to feel the crack and you'll see more.

You could try applying carnauba to it to try and deflect some of the UV and use a shade for the windsheild.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I do believe it's covered under warranty but it will likely happen again. If your car spends any time in the sun the UV seems to break down the carbon fiber they use on their interiors and they eventually crack. It will get worse too, eventually you'll be able to feel the crack and you'll see more.

You could try applying carnauba to it to try and deflect some of the UV and use a shade for the windsheild.
It's not the carbon fiber that is cracking. That's actually the black woven stuff underneath, which when unfinished feels sort of silky and a bit bumpy. What is cracking is the plastic top coat they put over it.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 193 Posts

It is covered by warranty, IF you're still within the warranty period.

Porsche factory CF is ****. It's inferior to DB and MA, and I can't , for the life of me, understand why it's not of higher quality coming off the production line.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

This pseudo carbon fiber stuff is a real problem for Porsche. It's produced by one of their lesser performing subcontractors.

When this CF stuff was failing (cracks and yellowing) on the Carrera GT cars when just coming off warranty Porsche picked up the tab for a lot of cars. They're not that nice anymore.

Only advice I can give you is to avoid the stuff in the first place on your cars (leather seems to be the best option for hanging in there the longest) or to watch it very carefully and at the very last possible moment to submit a claim under the original car warranty--do it! Once off warranty you are stuck with it.

Eric and Bumper Plugs has some good alternatives.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Supermode
Racer

I suspected it was caused by sun damage. The extreme heat build up with the windows up during the Summer must of caused this. Besides the crack on the ash tray lid, the carbon fiber around the shift **** (M6) was peeling as well. I pointed it out to the service rep at the dealer and it will also be replaced under warranty. I am the second owner. My C4S came with the carbon fiber package (803, XMJ). It looks great and feels great, but knowing what I've learned so far, I would go with leather instead.

Quick Reply: Cracks in center console