Sponsored by:

Oil additives.... Boron, Teflon, Jay Leno

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfk
Maybe worry about this one, with the reduction of ZDDP (effective antiwear compound) in motor oils because of environmental issues, promotion of catalytic converter longevity, and the fact modern engines have roller camshaft tappets and do not need it.
Guess whose modern engine does not have roller camshaft tappets?
Yes. But a lot of modern engines do not have roller tappets. Big deal.

The Porsche engines have multi-valves per cylinder and smaller valves and thus lower valve spring seat pressures.

ZDDP came into vogue some years ago as "cure" for cam lobe and tappet wear. The real cause of the wear turned out to be crappy cam and rocker arm/lifter bucket metallurgy. I installed an aftermarket cam (made overseas) in my Datsun 510 engine and followed all guidelines and still a lobe went flat. Before I could fix the car I sold it and the new owner replaced the aftermarket cam with a factory cam and continued to drive the car for years with no cam or other problems.

The biggest problems with these engines and their oil is the oil doesn't get changed often enough based on how the car is used.

The cars that get driven occasionally, get used for short trips, etc., these are the engines that need more frequent oil/filter services, and by my observation are the least likely to get them. Little "use" is translated into no "use" and thus no need for service, when the almost direct opposite is the case.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What happens when you add Jay Leno to your oil?
Old 04-28-2015, 03:50 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

The video/ad had an odd effect on me. I didn't trust Archoil more, but I trusted Jay Leno less.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:22 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I usually use Chevron 0% ethanol 94 Octane gas. Only offered locally here.
Why? Why? WHY???? Can't we get this in California? We're stuck with 91, 10% eth, and the dreaded "winter gas" which results in pitiful mileage and compromised performance. Oh well, at least our weather is pristine (82 on Monday, 68 yesterday, 72 today, 100% sunny).
Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Originally Posted by Carmichael
What happens when you add Jay Leno to your oil?
Chin up?
Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default +1 Agreed.... clever wording.

+1 agreed.... I'll watch the Jay Leno Garage differently after viewing the Archoil piece.....
Had the focus been on his staff's machine shop use of Archoil's "nano-paste" product tailored for engine rebuild assembly etc ... and not the widely DIY marketed engine oil & fuel additives.
Jay's Leno's mulligan ....

The Archoil 9200 additive is based on potassium borate, specifically a formulary of "boron-based-nanoparticles in an ester matrix. Around 2008 the firm DRD Additives LLC started marketing a boron-nanoparticles in a fatty acid ester carrier.
Short story even shorter .... A "nano" boron based additive's effectiveness is similarly position to that of ZDDP (zinc) which is to say very good, but no better. The "nano" marketing hook is a sharp one.....

My $.02 is the Archoil 9200 product is not snake oil per se .... although its use is likened to wearing two condoms. Mobil 1's V-twin 20w-50 product has raised zinc/ADDP levels. Time Honored.

Luv the Datsun 510 references. The six year used Burnt Orange colored '71 510 of mine had small dents in just about every panel, and looked the part of a new driver's car with its loaded ski rack heading on up to Killington, VT from NJ/NY. A true Gymkhana athlete the 510 sedan; 1.6 overhead cam, 4sp coupled to a IRS. Who remembers swapping '60's decade Ford Falcon 4 bolt 5.5" wide rims? Rummaging through junk yards... Freak'in memory lane ....

Hey,,,, hand me that can of STP. Its the "racers edge" you know.

Originally Posted by KLS
The video/ad had an odd effect on me. I didn't trust Archoil more, but I trusted Jay Leno less.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

So would Mobil 15W50 be the wrong way to go on my 993? This is what my indy has been using for me since I did not specify otherwise. I want to do what's best for this car and as a newbie gear head appreciate what I am learning here. What should I be asking for? Brad Penn 20/50 ? Something else?
Old 05-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
So would Mobil 15W50 be the wrong way to go on my 993? This is what my indy has been using for me since I did not specify otherwise. I want to do what's best for this car and as a newbie gear head appreciate what I am learning here. What should I be asking for? Brad Penn 20/50 ? Something else?
This:

Comes with a pic of your car too.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Both great choices. If you need a 3rd and 4th look into Mobil V-Twin 20W50 and Motul.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:22 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Cruel ... MF'er .. too funny.

Luxter - you're cruel, too funny. Yeah, isn't the Porsche snake oil in the $84 plus, plus dollars a quart shelf? I'm in the wrong business .... snake oil for everyone!

Paolo1 -
The current Mobil 1 15w-50 formulation has a zinc additive level which isn't as high as some would like; it's fine is my $.02. Some say this zinc level issue is splitting hairs. Quality M1/V-t, Motul, Brad Penn oil and varoom....
The Mobil 1, V-twin 20w-50 formula is widely available at auto part retailers for about $10 to $12. USD.

Originally Posted by Luxter
This:

Comes with a pic of your car too.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Luxter - you're cruel, too funny. Yeah, isn't the Porsche snake oil in the $84 plus, plus dollars a quart shelf? I'm in the wrong business ....
May I suggest moving to Weissach. Plenty of business opportunities there.

I was hoping that someone will explain to me in plain language why 0w-40 was a perfect viscosity for 3.6L, 964 and 993 until March 31, 2014 (according to Porsche). And as of April 1 the viscosity for the very same engines went up form 40 to 60.
I would also like to have someone explain why internally nearly identical to 993 engines for 996 turbo and 997 turbo and GT3 require 40 viscosity A40 lubricants.
Anybody?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
I was hoping that someone will explain to me in plain language why 0w-40 was a perfect viscosity for 3.6L, 964 and 993 until March 31, 2014 (according to Porsche). And as of April 1 the viscosity for the very same engines went up form 40 to 60.
I would also like to have someone explain why internally nearly identical to 993 engines for 996 turbo and 997 turbo and GT3 require 40 viscosity A40 lubricants.
Anybody?
That's crazy talk! Careful......

When 4 years after they recommend my Boxster filled with zero weight from 20 weight (IIRC), I was terrified to not follow orders. Very scary to ask that stuff.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-08-2022, 01:29 PM
Flat6warrior
2nd Gear

Default Bottom line oil Co are here to make money ,you think they are giving you the best?

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
IMO with the millions of dollars oil companies spend on R&D I would be sceptic why they don't sell it themselves or include it in their high grade oils. Therefore I am extremely sceptic to this.

I guess the additives could even have a negative effect depending on the chemistry of the oil you use it with.
believe whatever you will but just from them doing r&d makes you believe they are doing the best for your car Is Ludacris. It's all about profit and sales my friend!!!!
Old 10-08-2022, 05:32 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6warrior
believe whatever you will but just from them doing r&d makes you believe they are doing the best for your car Is Ludacris. It's all about profit and sales my friend!!!!
And meeting specific standards that using some additives could negate!!!
Old 10-09-2022, 05:07 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

That Millers oil @Luxter posted about is $114 for 5vQts on Amazon. Pricey stuff. Makes the tradeoff argument stronger imo.

Quick Reply: Oil additives.... Boron, Teflon, Jay Leno