GTS Black Paint Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:31 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts
Default GTS Black Paint Repair

Just back from a morning drive, washed the car in preparation for taking it in tomorrow morning for application of paint protection film, and it's apparent I didn't do such a hot job of inspecting the paint for the recently bought GTS. There are a great many pinpoint chips in the front that I'd like to get repaired before applying the PPF.

If so, do you have any recommendations for a product I could use? I was thinking of something like a black wax. Also, is the standard black clear coated?

(Doing a search right now, but wanted to see if anyone could give me immediate help.)

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 11-09-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Paint chips..... Just have a high end car paint shop resort....it will be like new then install the clear bra and never worry again.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I assume you mean "reshoot." That is an option, but not sure I want to put out the $ for that. I'll need to go see what it would cost.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I assume you mean "reshoot." That is an option, but not sure I want to put out the $ for that. I'll need to go see what it would cost.
Unfortunately with black you will always see those chips even with the clear bra over it...and I've never been satisfied with any touch-up process. As the owner you will always look at the paint closer than anyone else so unless you repaint the front bumper, they will always be more visible to you. The other issue too to consider is that if you repaint the front bumper you should let the paint cure for at least 30 days (check with your paint ship) before you install the clear bra. Good luck,
Old 11-10-2014, 01:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Between $500 and $600 is what I've paid for front or rear bumper. I personally wouldn't spend the money on the front unless it's really bad. It's so exposed and so vulnerable you may have new chips on it by the time you've driven the car home from the paint shop. My 2c.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM
txfight00
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same annoyances with my black GTS. Hearing the SMACK and SPACK of rocks on my highway commute drives me insane. I have clearbra up to the windshield and on side to the doors but I'm going to get a wrap too. Going with something close to fashion grey I think. I've always had black vehicles and have tried every manner of touch up. None are as satisfactory as I think they should be, so for me and probably most owners on here that the little chips bug, a repaint would be the best option for what you're talking about.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:14 AM
MY997
Racer

I am preparing to PPF the entire front end of my Black C4S and in talking to my Motorsports shop their experince has been that they will have their detail shop work the entire front end (clay, polish, etc...) and then fill any spots or chips with touch up paint...once the 3M is put on they say you cannot tell the difference. However, they did admit that once you take the 3M off it will pull off the touch up paint and the chips will be back. Hope this helps???
Old 11-10-2014, 12:00 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. I'm off to a couple of recommended local paint shops to get estimates. If it's $500-600, probably, go that route. Much more than that, I'll live with the chips.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:22 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how a black wrap on the front bumper would look?

Last edited by beden1; 11-10-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:57 PM
OWLY
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Just need to accept that it's a black car and it isn't new. The nicks and scratches are a part of its 'life experiences'! Unfortunately, there will be more.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:49 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

OWLY, I agree. My problem is putting on the PPF over these nicks. I'm working my way through it.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:12 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, decided not to do the PPF. I explored some of the "black wax" products, and used a Turtle Wax "Jet Black" kit. That really reduced the visibility of the nicks. I had a couple of friends check it out, and both said, "What nicks?"

I'll live with this experienced front end until it gets worse, and/or I just can't stand it. Then will get it painted and covered at that time. Can't see PPF over the nicks, and not bad enough to paint now.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by OWLY
Just need to accept that it's a black car and it isn't new. The nicks and scratches are a part of its 'life experiences'! Unfortunately, there will be more.
These cars are to be enjoyed. Nicks tell a life story. The best engineers have scars on their hands! There are concepts we can "accept" to make these things feel less bad. If you ever want a museum piece in the future the entire car will need new paint anyway. In the meantime, my advise would be to drive her.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:52 PM
MY997
Racer

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
These cars are to be enjoyed. Nicks tell a life story. The best engineers have scars on their hands! There are concepts we can "accept" to make these things feel less bad. If you ever want a museum piece in the future the entire car will need new paint anyway. In the meantime, my advise would be to drive her.
It doesn't help though when you see every little scratch...I admit when clean and swirl free there is no better color on a 911...but it is hard work "daily" keeping it looking good...
Old 11-13-2014, 02:55 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MY997
It doesn't help though when you see every little scratch...I admit when clean and swirl free there is no better color on a 911...but it is hard work "daily" keeping it looking good...
And really the scratches and nicks are most visible to the owner who looks at the car every day and washes it and details it. For the casual observer, the nicks are close to "invisible".

Quick Reply: GTS Black Paint Repair