Sponsored by:

Aerokit and an Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Aerokit and an Airbox

So here is a question......I recently ordered an Aerokit Cup from Suncoast for my 997S.1. I had an option for a stock kit or one for the X51. I ordered the X51. The only difference between the two should be the 2nd opening in the decklid for the X51 airbox. That X51 airbox is too pricey for me but I'm thinking of adding the 997.2 airbox to utilize the 2nd hole in the decklid. I'm reading that airbox will hit the fan on the decklid if it remained stock. Since the kit is new would I be able to relocate the fan enough for the fan not to hit the box? Or do you think it would fit without modifying? Am I talking crazy?

Another option is to change the order to a reg Aerokit and go with a aftermarket box like evom. Whatcha y'all think?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

will be interesting to see if it fits since the .2 engine sits lower thn th .1 engine and if the rubber grommets all line up. Have you looked into how you are going to run the vacuum lines as those are different between the 2 engines.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Or a 3rd option is to keep the kit that I have coming and get the Fabspeed CF intake...this combo looks to work well with a bigger TB and Plenum.

I have plenty of time to ponder while the car gets its 4L heart at Flat6.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
will be interesting to see if it fits since the .2 engine sits lower thn th .1 engine and if the rubber grommets all line up. Have you looked into how you are going to run the vacuum lines as those are different between the 2 engines.
Well coming from the 996 where the box just comes right out I did not know the 7 boxes have vac lines. I'm glad I asked the question. I need to find some diagrams.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Yes the .2 air box has a vac line...I think it works the hemholtz resonator. Im sitting here watching football and remembering when I tkae my box out to clean this is what it's connected to. I don't think it's needed though because the Fabspeed piece doesn't has this I think....he ones I've seen haven't. I'm not a fan of the Fabspeed piece because I believe and have been told by various race teams in the Rolex series that the Fabspeed intake would suck in hot engine air....however I hvent seen testing of intake temps. I think in your case if you don't want the .1 air box which by the way is a true cold air box and it really works....then the Fabspeed piece would be the way to go.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input Mike......the .1 vs .2 airbox are different in many ways after looking at some diagrams last night. I called Aldo at Suncoast a few minutes ago and changed the ordered to a non-X51 kit. Aldo as usual was very helpful!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:32 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you ever buy the X51 airbox, it is no problem to fit it with your non X51 Aerokit at all. I had the full Powerkit retrofitted on my car when it was new and it comes with a template to cut the second intake hole. My car came with the factory Aerokit, so it will be a similar situation for you. No problem at all doing this.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Thanks for the input Mike......the .1 vs .2 airbox are different in many ways after looking at some diagrams last night. I called Aldo at Suncoast a few minutes ago and changed the ordered to a non-X51 kit. Aldo as usual was very helpful!
If it makes you feel any better...the 997.1S cars with X51 running in the Rolex Koni series used the K&N or mostly stock box...wrapped in heat foil.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
If it makes you feel any better...the 997.1S cars with X51 running in the Rolex Koni series used the K&N or mostly stock box...wrapped in heat foil.
A little better yes.....

Quick Reply: Aerokit and an Airbox