Sponsored by:

Potential oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:42 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Potential oil leak?

Found a small pool of what feels like oil the morning after a 3 hr drive. The area around the bottom of the block was moist (see pic) but not dripping. Oil level was okay so went for a drive to warm it up. The area that was moist had dried out and couldn't see any drips. Am guessing the heat expanded the area to stop any leakage and as it cools it may leak again but will have to check it later

Any ideas? Gasket going bad?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2014, 09:49 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Looks to be a leak. If it doesn't get worse, I would leave it until the next service.

I'd be more concerned about the rust!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:23 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think your approach is a good one. Keep monitoring it for more substantial loss. At the age of your car (2006?) it's not uncommon to find oil seeps. Porsche defines a leak as one where oil has actually dropped from the area in question onto the ground or would have hit the ground in the absence of underbody panels etc. And a seep as an area with fluid staining, no visible accumulate on the ground.

You my also want to clean the suspect area as best as possible so you can be more certain where the seep or leak from originate from, helping to decide what remedy may be needed. You could also use a commercial brand leak detection spray to help locate the area. But as noted above, I think monitoring is the best course of action at this time.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 AM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks. There was oil on the ground. First time I have seen it which is worrisome. Any idea of cost to replace this gasket?

I drive the all year so the rust is just a byproduct of our lovely winters. It's worth it though. Couldn't stand the thought of parking it for months. It's too fun to drive and it's just a depreciating asset at the end of the day
Old 10-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

There are exceptions but generally where the oil ends up is not where it starts out from.

You have to find the true source of the leak.

To do this the best way is to get the car safely in the air and get underneath it with a bright light and possibly even a mirror on a stick/swivel.

Also, having an experienced tech to walk you through the process helps, as he will be familiar with all the usual (and unusual) leak sources.

It is often a process of elimination until what is left is the most likely leak source.

Once you are sure where the oil is coming from then the tech can advise you as to what is required or involved in its repair, its cost, etc.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:13 PM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks. Regardless of where its coming from its going to end up at my Indy as I don't have the skills to repair so will probably just have to drop it there this week

Assuming the engine has to come out may be time to get the slow crank issue fixed as well...
Old 10-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Thanks. Regardless of where its coming from its going to end up at my Indy as I don't have the skills to repair so will probably just have to drop it there this week

Assuming the engine has to come out may be time to get the slow crank issue fixed as well...
The slow crank issue may be found to be a problem removed from the engine and engine compartment unless you have ID'd it to be due to say a bad starter. In which case then yes, if (big if) the engine has to come out to address the leak then that would be time to replace the starter.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:23 PM
vern1
Drifting

The slow crank issue I believe is related to a heat soak issue and usually the cable between battery and starter. Only happens when the car is hot, never at initial start up. Seems to be a well known problem

Fingers crossed on the leak....

Quick Reply: Potential oil leak?