Akebono European Ceramic brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Akebono European Ceramic brake pads

Has anyone used these before. Have to replace my pads as sensor just came on and wanted to get feedback on these.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...5&autoModClar=

Thanks
Caesar
Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

I used them on my S550 and my wife has them on CLS500
They produce virtually no dust. The braking is very linear. Which is good and bad because you can control it quite well but at times you find that there is not enough bite and have to press the brake harder to stop.
They do not have the initial bite of OEM, but will still stop you on a dime if you slam on the brakes. They work ok on my wife’s CLS but I wasn’t very happy on the S class as the car was too heavy to have brakes with such linear (no bite) feel. They also kept making noise on one of my wheels. I got a set of R1 Concept rotors when I did the pads and they were not playing well with each other. Yet on wife’s car same setup produced a little better results.
Perhaps on a Porsche (lighter than S class just a touch) they will do just fine.

Folks with AMGs like them, but their brakes are twice the size of what I had on S550 or what my wife has on her CLS

Edit: New brake fluid was done on my S class whe these got installed.

Last edited by malahhaor; 10-09-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:00 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Is it time for a brake fluid flush as well?
now is the time. I don't track, but change it if it is at all discoloured.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Will do. Have pentosin ready to go
Old 10-09-2014, 07:36 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Have these on my audi. No dust with strong bite. Inital bite less than oem.

Didn't bed well and seem tough on rotors. I'll go with hawk pads next time.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

I can confirm that Hawk Ceramics are a good choice. I've had them on three cars now with low dust and good feel (at least for sporty road use, not sure about track performance if you do that).
Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Any hawks i used did squeek a lot. It may be my calipers issue, am not sure.
Right now i have stoptech pads and they seem to be quiet with ok bite. They are ok for mild track use but you got to be careful.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Any hawks i used did squeek a lot. It may be my calipers issue, am not sure.
Right now i have stoptech pads and they seem to be quiet with ok bite. They are ok for mild track use but you got to be careful.
I've never had a squeal, but then I am careful to put back the proper OEM anti-squeal shims that sit between the pads and the pistons. I gather a lot of people skip these but they are there to help stop squeal (regardless of whose brake pad you are using, OEM included)

So far I've been able to use a narrow putty knife to pry the existing ones off whole (before removing the pad) and reuse them successfully. New ones are a bit costly.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:21 PM
EbonyC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been doing brake research and came across the shim adhesive question before, but haven't seen an answer. Are you using the adhesive residue from old shim & pad or cleaning the shim and putting new double sided tape on? If new tape, what width & thickness? TIA
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EbonyC4S
Have been doing brake research and came across the shim adhesive question before, but haven't seen an answer. Are you using the adhesive residue from old shim & pad or cleaning the shim and putting new double sided tape on? If new tape, what width & thickness? TIA
Sorry for the late response, for some reason a lot of my emails (including Reenlist notifications) started going to the Junk folder and I just realized it.

So far I've never kept a car long enough to switch the pads twice. On all of my pad changes, they were still sticky enough that I reused them as is. A couple were only barely sticky. I've wondered if they stick back better after they get hot again. In any case I haven't had any hint of squeal.

I don't know if I could get away with that a second time or not. The danged shims are so pricey I'd probably give it a try.

Quick Reply: Akebono European Ceramic brake pads