Sponsored by:

Squeak in the front left -- suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 AM
Koenbro
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak in the front left -- suggestions needed

I need ideas for what could explain (and what to do about) a high-pitched squeaky noise in the front left. Happens when I bring the steering wheel back to center after turning to the left. Noticed it first time about 6 months ago; was very intermittent at first, mostly audible in the morning as I started driving the car, then it disappeared during the day. Now it seems to get worse, I can hear it almost every time I drive the car.

Does not happen when I first turn the wheel to the right, then bring it back to the center.

The car is a 2007 997 C4S with 40,000 miles, used as a DD. Bought it one year ago with 27k miles from local dealer. Took it to them about 3 months ago, they "heard nothing" ( I have a full warranty through them, maybe that acts as a disincentive to find stuff). But they said something about a crack in suspension mount but apparently "did not need attention".

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:04 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

could it be temperature related? meaning it acts up in the cold and dissipates in the heat?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 AM
Koenbro
Track Day

Yeah, I definitely think warming up quiets it. Not sure why.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:35 AM
Steven B
Racer

Sounds like it might be the steering rack.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Thedips
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While we're on subject any one can figure out slight rattle that seems to happen above me passenger side slightly toward the back? I have a coupe with sunroof trying to figure out if it is the sunroof but doesn't seem like it. But it does Goes away when I crack open a window or moon roof
Old 10-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

My car does exactly the same thing. '07 C4s.

Originally Posted by Koenbro
I need ideas for what could explain (and what to do about) a high-pitched squeaky noise in the front left. Happens when I bring the steering wheel back to center after turning to the left. Noticed it first time about 6 months ago; was very intermittent at first, mostly audible in the morning as I started driving the car, then it disappeared during the day. Now it seems to get worse, I can hear it almost every time I drive the car.

Does not happen when I first turn the wheel to the right, then bring it back to the center.

The car is a 2007 997 C4S with 40,000 miles, used as a DD. Bought it one year ago with 27k miles from local dealer. Took it to them about 3 months ago, they "heard nothing" ( I have a full warranty through them, maybe that acts as a disincentive to find stuff). But they said something about a crack in suspension mount but apparently "did not need attention".

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish my recall memory was a little better in this circumstance. I'm going to say my mechanic said something about a bushing that was very common and problematic on the drivers side. First time he had the car in he had it all day for an oil change and did a complete once over as he does with all first time cars. Took it for two test drives listening to the front end for what he said was a very common squeak in these cars. My car didn't have the issue yet. He said it was minor but annoying so he checks for it.

If you haven't figured it out I can swing by there as he's very close and ask him to further elaborate on this issue. I'm honestly not sure if he said the word bushing.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Steven B
Racer

Any follow up?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Koenbro
Track Day

Ezkill, could you please ask your mechanic about the bushing? I really agree with the suggestions above (steering rack vs suspension bushing). I took the wheel off, saw nothing unusual on inspection. I am planning to take it to my indie next Friday, but would be helpful to have the info on the bushing beforehand.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Okay, it was an A4 and not a 911, but I had a noise that I'd descibe exactly the same way and ocurring when I turned the wheel to the left (warmed up or cold). Turned out to be the left bushing and control arm. Just a data point though as an A4 is obviously not the same.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Koenbro
Track Day

Took it to my indie last Fri -- he said the same thing, it's probably the left bushing and control arm. Alignment of the FL wheel was also slightly off, the wheel has a negative camber similar to the one on the rear, and wears the tire unevenly. The FR alignment (and tire wear) seems alright.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Squeaks are routinely due to bushings, like a control arm bushing.

Quick Reply: Squeak in the front left -- suggestions needed