Sponsored by:

my new 06' C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrison
I was concerned about the IMS as I thought it was a 997.1 issue across the board. After doing some research and asking on this great forum I found out that the 06' 3.8 was less prone to the issue. To be honest I plan on doing it if and when the clutch goes. I figure it will go before the IMS.... Fingers crossed.
Garrison - keep reading up on the differences between the old design ims bearings and the new design. After mid 2005, when the new design came into use, the bearings became no longer serviceable without tearing the engine down. You won't be able to get to it on your car when the clutch goes.

Drive and enjoy! The number of ims bearing failures on new-design bearings is incredibly low...
Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Why would he worry about the IMS? its a 2006, the new design! I have owned 4 911s & never let this IMS fiascal worry me- Just when its time to change the clutch do the bearing, its an extra $500 Case closed!
If I've done my own research correctly, I understand that you have to get to a 997.2 before the engine redesigned substantially enough to essentially eliminate the ISM as a concern. It's still there with 997.1 cars, although less so the newer they get - unfortunately mitigated by the fact that it is also much more expensive to remediate in newer 997.1 cars.

But, as you say - the preponderance of us, self included, have owned "susceptible" Porsches and experienced no issue, and it may be a statistically trivial concern, especially in the 997 generation. No doubt, the issue itself and its ramifications are overrepresented on Porsche enthusiast boards.

Garrison - really beautiful car. Let me know if you ever swing through Castle Pines on a Saturday, I would love to see it.

Quick Reply: my new 06' C4S